Antialiasing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antialiasing?

How come there's no antialiasing in UT3? I looked into the ini files in my doc folder for UT3 and I haven't nothing that stated the use of Antialiasing.

If I am to guess, then I'll just go with "UE3 was still new when UT3 was released, so AA support wasn't properly developed for either at the time" or a similar version of that.

I can tell you some AA options, and UT3 is a game that would suffer from aliasing on my desktop PC without AA.

1. Force AA through your graphics card's control panel in UT3's profile.
    2. The latest nVidia drivers added downscaling (DSR). Use the DSR setting in the nVidia control panel to tell UT3 to render at a resolution above your monitor's native resolution, and then select that higher resolution in-game. Not sure what other adjustments this necessitates, like higher sensitivity, or what buginess it entails.
    3. Use SGSSAA with nVidia Inspector (guide, download). Control bit is 0x000100C5. It's not hard.

I switched to 2x SGSSAA from normal forced AA because, even at high AA values, I still saw aliasing. I am satisfied with what I have now.

If you ever have a ton of spare FPS in a game, you can try DSR or SGSSAA. DSR might trick some games into using higher resolution textures too, in spite of any other graphics options that may be available, whereas SGSSAA with the proper control bit should have less unfortunate scaling weirdness. Both result in large performance hits, but do note that DSR should remove the need for AA all together.

I have read that, like anything else fun, AA adds input lag... but I've decided to not care.

Comment

Well, since I don't own a Nvidia card Nvidia Inspector might be no use to me as I own a Radeon card. I have managed to use a substitute for AA with SweetFX with SMAA at the max settings with no problems.

Comment

Working...
      X