Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT3.exe has stopped working on Windows 8.1 - Please Help...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't know weather to post this here (in the Troubleshooting & Technology section or UT3 General Chat), so I thought I'd post it here. I just installed Windows 8.1 on my Lemon Lime Twist Hackintosh (link found here):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...on-lime-twist/

I'm providing this info so you can see the breakdown on what is in this machine. I'm using a Brand New Kingston 240GB SSD. I installed Windows 8.1 then, UT2004 (that game's working just fine) and then right after I installed UT3 from the DVD (not from STEAM) and it installed just fine. Then I tried to play and this comment popped up:

"UT3.exe has stopped working"

I even installed the latest Patch 5, but still the same comment and then it quits. I know someone posted this some time ago and I've Googled it and found several others going through the similar situation (link below):

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...d-working-quot

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1761140

No matter where I look, it seems like no solution has fixed this problem.

By the way, I did look at this "fix,":

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1809271

but again, limited help and even at the end someone said the very problem I have; I'm not using Kaspersky, Norton or Macafee setup, because they're not installed in my system. Can someone please help me? Thank you in advance to anyone who can…

UT3 does need DirectX runtimes, even if your running W8

Try installing these;

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=9033

Create a system restore point first of course.

Comment

Originally posted by 1XTreme View Post

Try installing these;

I will try it in the morning, but in the meantime how do I create a system restore point first? I'm new to windows and don't quite understand how to make that procedure happen. Again any help would be appreciated thanks again for contributing your time…

PS – I'm also having problems running UT 2004, as it's giving me an error code (I think it's 6025) that won't allow me to play that game either which is different from UT3's error code. Again thanks for the help…

Comment

Install the VC++ runtimes (and I think UT3 also needs the .NET Framework... 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5).

You could also install the 2008 and 2010 (and just in case for UT4 2013er ).

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
          Install the VC++ runtimes (and I think UT3 also needs the .NET Framework... 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5).

Thank you for your input and I will try those out. What I'm still concerned about is how to create a System Restore Point. If someone could please help me how to do that first then I can execute these other instructions, that would be great, thank you…

Comment

Originally posted by PunkNugget View Post
            Thank you for your input and I will try those out. What I'm still concerned about is how to create a System Restore Point. If someone could please help me how to do that first then I can execute these other instructions, that would be great, thank you…

right click the white windows logo on the bottom left

click Run

copy and paste this

systempropertiesprotection

Comment

Originally posted by geronaho View Post
              right click the white windows logo on the bottom left

click Run

copy and paste this

systempropertiesprotection
              When I get to my computer today I look forward to trying all of these procedures out. I will let you know how my progress goes and can't thank you all enough for you input. Let's hope this works…

Comment

One thing that I'd like to add. I tried someone else's input on another forum before coming here first (my bad), and used a windows app called: CCleaner to see if it would clear up the UT3 issue, but after I used it and "cleaned" up my issue, it not only did NOTHING to fix my UT3 issue but caused UT2004 to stop working. I uninstalled both games and reinstalled them with all the latest patches and still the same issue with both games not working. Again when I get home I'll try everyone's procedures and if that doesn't work then, I'll have to reinstall windows 8.1 all over again and then try those procedures again if it doesn't work the first time out. Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes...

Comment

Try installing these;

Ok, I created a System Restore Point (SRP), and tried to install this app, but it's asking me WHERE to install this. Do you know specifically where it is I need to place this file? Thanks...

Comment

Now which one do I use the Dutch language ones or the (SP1) English ones, or do I install ALL of these files? Also, where specifically do I place these files?

Comment

I'm sure all of these are multi languare (if a language is even needed). The drop down should be only for the webpage (for this file). You should install all files if you x64 system. You only have to install x86 if you have a x86 system. The installer automatically installs the file to the proper locations (which is the system folder for instance). It's not an actual programm it's more a library of used methods UT3 needs to have in order to run (as the engine was written with VC++).

Comment

I'm sure all of these are multi languare (if a language is even needed). The drop down should be only for the webpage (for this file). You should install all files if you x64 system. You only have to install x86 if you have a x86 system. The installer automatically installs the file to the proper locations (which is the system folder for instance). It's not an actual programm it's more a library of used methods UT3 needs to have in order to run (as the engine was written with VC++).
                        Thank you Rattle, but even when I installed BOTH (x64) packages (since I'm running Windows 8.1 64 bit), it's now giving me this statement for UT3:

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament3\Binaries\UT3.exe

This application has requested to Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
                        Please contact the application's support team for more information.

So not only is it not working still, it's now telling me that I need "Program Files (x86)?" This is strange as I'm running an 64 bit OS and I'm thinking that I needed the "(x64)" system. I'll try BOTH (x86) files and see what happens. I'll let you know what happens, thanks...

Edit: I installed ALL 4 files you provided (on the Microsoft English version posted sites) and unfortunately none of these 4 files worked. Still giving me the same message. I don't know what to do at this point, very disappointed as I only really wanted to play UT2004 & UT3 and now can't. That was the WHOLE PURPOSE of getting Windows 8.1. Obviously Windoze 8.1 doesn't work well with these games, then what Windows OS should I purchase? Windows XP or Windows 7? Who is using these OS's with a new system like mine? Mind you I'm using the latest nVidia Drivers 344.11 and running a EVGA GTX 580 3GB Hydro Copper GPU. This card should easily play both of these games. Plus, I've got the best GSkill RAM (64GB) on an ASRock X79 Extreme9 Mobo using a 3930K CPU and a Silverstone 1500PSU. I have an OVERKILL system and STILL have this problem...

So I went here:

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-exper...upported-games

and saw that NONE of the UT games are supported. But just a couple of days ago, I was playing UT2004. Of that stopped once I used that dog gone app CCleaner (totally my fault) to try to get UT3 to work, but it only made it worse by having UT2004 stop work as well. Now nothing works. So is it the GPU? Should I go with ATI or is it okay to go with the EVGA GTX 980 (nVidia GPU)? Please let me know what you guys are using when it comes to your Operating System and Graphics Card. Thanks...

Comment

Try installing these;

By the way I figured out how to install this and did it, but still nothing with this file either. BOTH UT2004 AND UT3 Still don't work...

Comment

Check your UT3 launch.log and/or your Ut2004.log files. (plenty of guidance on this forum and others about where to find them, so I'll not repeat that) You could even post them here and we may be able to come up with something. Run DXDIAG and check if D3D, etc are still enabled or click the save all information button and post your DXDIAG.txt here, too. Test your Directx environment by installing a free games or demo's with similar DX versions. Another interesting test may be performed with a hand-edit on the UT2004.ini to use the pixomatic driver (this can isolate the issue to possibly being GPU/GPU-driver related if the game walks)
                            Both games can be run on Windows 8.1 64-bit (ENG) successfully. I use Windows 8.1 and GTX680, which I think may have similar GPU to your 580. UT3 should still work with Steam or without (I use Steam to automate installs...have more than one game.)

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                              Check your UT3 launch.log and/or your Ut2004.log files. (plenty of guidance on this forum and others about where to find them, so I'll not repeat that) You could even post them here and we may be able to come up with something. Run DXDIAG and check if D3D, etc are still enabled or click the save all information button and post your DXDIAG.txt here, too. Test your Directx environment by installing a free games or demo's with similar DX versions. Another interesting test may be performed with a hand-edit on the UT2004.ini to use the pixomatic driver (this can isolate the issue to possibly being GPU/GPU-driver related if the game walks)
                              Both games can be run on Windows 8.1 64-bit (ENG) successfully. I use Windows 8.1 and GTX680, which I think may have similar GPU to your 580. UT3 should still work with Steam or without (I use Steam to automate installs...have more than one game.)
                              Hi Nick, I do apologize, but even though I have extensive experience using Mac OS X on my Lemon Lime Twist Hackintosh (which is the very system that I'm using Window 8.1 on), I'm still trying to acclimate myself to using Windows 8.1. If you could please provide any links to the very UT3 Launch.log and UT2004.log files posts here on this forum that would be great. In the mean time I will run DXDIAG and check this D3D file (even though I don't know what that is), to find out what's going on. What you posted brings some level of comfort knowing it's not the card, but something else. I mean UT2004 WAS working, until I used that stupid CCleaner program. I'm ordering the GTX 980 come Monday. I'm going to purchase the EK water block. I'd get the Koolance water block (since I'm a reseller for Koolance), but they don't have a water block for this card yet. That's okay. I also see that you're in Arlington, TX, I'm in Houston. Again, any help with those links would be appreciated to help me get to where I need to go faster. Thank you...

Comment

Working...
                              X