Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Need help for Building a PC to run UT3 and more games on.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help for Building a PC to run UT3 and more games on.

I found a nice ATX case over at tigerdirect. What I found is a Voyager ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Micro-ATX, ATX, with 7x Expansion Slots, and 3x 5.25 External Bays. Is this a good choice?
    Attached Files

Some cases are designed better than others. It's those cases you want to look for. You can run UT3 on a Bloomfield (i7 920) and up. I've got a Xeon 1366 socket running UT4 just fine. 4GHz

Comment

Originally posted by UTPlayer529th View Post
      Some cases are designed better than others. It's those cases you want to look for. You can run UT3 on a Bloomfield (i7 920) and up. I've got a Xeon 1366 socket running UT4 just fine. 4GHz
      That's the one I'd probably gonna need if I wanna run games like UT4 and upcoming games. I found one of them on amazon here:
      http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Xeon-E56...ords=Xeon+4GHz

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal4Eva View Post
        That's the one I'd probably gonna need if I wanna run games like UT4 and upcoming games. I found one of them on amazon here:
        http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Xeon-E56...ords=Xeon+4GHz
        No. Wait. That's the socket I have = 1366. It's the same socket as the i7 920 chip I use to run in my board. I recently jumped on the Xeon bandwagon like many others. I have a Xeon X5660 (1366 socket) in my system overclocked to 4GHz. My system is nearing 7 years old. The latest 'Enthusiast' socket is the 1150 socket & Z97 chipset.

You have to let us know which socket motherboard you have, and also your budget for the parts you are looking to buy. The core components you'll need start at the GPU > CPU > Monitor > Keyboard > Mouse, etc etc.

If you want the latest and greatest chip for a new build in the 'Enthusiast' market look into the 4790K Intel 'Devil's Canyon' chip = 4 core/8 thread. There are many other chips that have come out between the i7 920 and the 4790K that are well suited to run UT4, imo. Your GPU will be a bigger factor. I am still using a GTX 670 playing at 1600x900 and it's holding up pretty well.

Comment

the cases look good
          wouldn't you need a bigger case though just a ?
          I hope you find what you are looking for
          I have a couple of rosswell cases

Comment

The Compucase (hec) Voyager is $25 (+$7 shipping) on newegg. I really wouldn't recommend any case at that price, especially not for a system with a dedicated GPU that will play non-browser fullscreen games. And I really wouldn't consider hec's products given what I've read about their PSUs.

For cases, you first want to decide on form factor. I consider Mid ATX to be "enough" for a gaming case whereas Full ATX is good. Mini and Micro ATX are however "serviceable" for actual budget builds, but then internal space will absolutely be a limiting factor for GPUs and the CPU cooler. As a quick rule, decent Mid ATX cases can be had for $60, although as low as $40 might be workable too, and their upper limit should be around $100. At $100 you cross into Full ATX territory, which should range all the way up to $200 before the case is more a demonstration of affluence than economy.

Since I care about performance, the thing I actually use to judge cases first is their fans: number, size, and location. Three fans or better is my target, which should be achievable without compromise at any reasonable price range. I want to avoid 80mm fans if at all possible because they are loud or suboptimal in my experience, so then 120mm fans or better are the target, although 100mm isn't a complete deal-breaker. Ideally, the fans are located at the case's lower front (push), upper back (pull), and top rear (pull) for good airflow. Other arrangements include a large side fan to cool the GPU/CPU area and a row of fans on the bottom to push air up. The Compucase Voyager only comes with a single, 80mm rear fan, so I obviously would not recommend that case to anyone under even remotely normal circumstances.

Other things...

1. Bottom-mounted PSUs should be standard now. Get that.
            2. Case width and length is very important for GPUs and CPU coolers. Buy a case with enough width to support large CPU coolers, as most decent coolers are large, and with room to spare for today's big enthusiast GPUs.
            3. Decent cases are made with 0.8mm steel (SECC); however, 0.5mm has become more and more popular. My major reservation against 0.5mm steel is the greater likelihood for it to "feel flimsy", so I check reviews for that. Luxury cases can also be made with aluminum, which may cost twice as much as comparable steel cases for half the weight. Plastic is used in cheaper cases and is probably less than ideal.
            4. Side windows are optional and tend to add $10-15 to the price.
            5. Painted interiors subjectively look a hell of a lot nicer than unpainted metallic silver, often with the functional bonus of dulling jagged, sharp edges, and they are a good indicator of quality cases in my opinion.
            6. Good cases also have a space behind the motherboard for cable management, which helps with airflow and allows the interior to look clean with enough fussing.
            7. Some cases have a hole on the motherboard's support for easy access to the CPU cooler's backplate, which can help tremendously to remove the cooler when needed.
            8. Lastly, some cases are designed with toolless assembly in mind, which is always a nice detail.

Given all that, the Antec Three Hundred Illusion and Rosewill Redbone U3 are my budget picks from a cursory glance at newegg's selection. Cooler Master's Haf line are attractive at the next price point, but the best deals come from Cooler Master's online outlet's refurbished stock. For instance, the Haf X is available for half off at $100 right now. I ordered a Haf 932 from them for a friend's build a few years ago that arrived completely intact, but some moron on their end marked the value of its 30 lbs package at $1 so we had to pay a $30 customs brokerage charge. My own case is an Antec Nine Hundred Two. If I were ever to get a new case for myself, I'd probably go with an NZXT Phantom for $100-120, being the only (decent) case I've ever liked for its looks.

Comment

That case is fine for a simple build. I would suggest making a ssd a mandatory piece. Depending on how high your expectations are set, you really don't need a lot to run this game. Some people put quite a bit of money in their machines and still suck at the game. w

*You also mentioned running UT4 so that is a different story. That is yet to be said since it is nowhere near completion.

Comment

I'm actually going for a AMD cpu since they're more affordable but I need to know which cpu is best from AMD?

Comment

What kind of budget are you working with?

Comment

I haven't forgotten about you buddy!
                    Add me on Steam
                    Skippy_Doe

Comment

Originally posted by Skippy_Doe View Post
                      I haven't forgotten about you buddy!
                      Add me on Steam
                      Skippy_Doe
                      I read ur PM Skippy but I don't have steam yet.

Comment

I found this to be a very nice & useful gaming case I found on TigerDirect

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...View&rrindex=0

Comment

I'm actually going for a AMD cpu since they're more affordable but I need to know which cpu is best from AMD?
                          You will find a cpu chart on this page;
                          http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ck,3106-5.html

The AMD cpu's cost less for a reason, the performance level is lower than more expensive chips.

Here is an article about best cpu for the money;
                          http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...lock,3106.html

There you can find the best performing chip for your budget.

I found this to be a very nice & useful gaming case I found on TigerDirect

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...View&rrindex=0
                          I was thinking about using this case for my portable setup. But, it's only 7" wide, so it's not big enough for the cpu coolers I have. It has room for 4 12cm fans and is long enough for most high end video cards. It also dirt cheap.
                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811553011

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                            You will find a cpu chart on this page;
                            http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ck,3106-5.html

The AMD cpu's cost less for a reason, the performance level is lower than more expensive chips.

Here is an article about best cpu for the money;
                            http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...lock,3106.html

There you can find the best performing chip for your budget.

I was thinking about using this case for my portable setup. But, it's only 7" wide, so it's not big enough for the cpu coolers I have. It has room for 4 12cm fans and is long enough for most high end video cards. It also dirt cheap.
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811553011
                            Thanks for the cpu links.

The price not bad for a MicroATX mini tower, I'm looking for either a ATX mid or ATX full tower. I seen a few listed on Newegg and Tigerdirect that were cheap but then again you'll have to wonder if it's flimsy or not, I'd rather not have a flimsy tower that could fall over very easily.

Comment

Working...
                            X