Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Vehicle Gametypes in the niew UT4(?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZqEB...S6Y8Wu_67bZ9Yp

This is from the weekly Epic UT4 update from 7/31. They say it not once, but twice. About 31 minutes in, Sr. Gameplay Designer Joe Wilcox says they're doing DM, TDM, and CTF, and that's all. Assault and Invasion will be essentially left for the community. ONS/WAR and vCTF aren't even mentioned. (nor is Bombing Run) They seem more interested in some pretty trivial stuff like celebrity voice-overs and in-game "selfies" for social media. Later, @ 43 in, they say again just those three, and maybe they'll do Duel.

I hope this is a GLARING oversight, but even if it is, it's pretty telling.

When they talk about the gametypes they gonna provide, they talk about the upcoming public alpha release and not the full game. The development of the full game will likely take months and years and will probably never ends.
    Vehicles are already added as placeholders. There will be vehicle game types. But the focus is on (T)DM and CTF. Once everything is in a good shape, they continue adding new gametypes. The current team is not like the older teams. They are about 7 core developers. It's limited.

Comment

Now I know what people were talking about the other night... The keyword, which Joe emphasized a few times, was "planned". The question was about a roadmap, answered in the context of planned development, I'm assuming. In this case, Joe seemed to use the word "plan" with a certain significant connotation, such as something that is "planned" has a defined projected completion date in a project schedule like a Gantt chart. I got the distinct impression that Epic's immediate concerns revolve around getting DM, TDM, and CTF playable and enjoyable, before they add on to those gametypes and their base elements with the complexity of vehicle gametypes. Since those base gametypes still seem far from completion (e.g., bugs, tweaks, maps, etc.), it's simply too early for Epic's small team to boldly commit their allotted efforts of 3-6 months from now, for example, especially with a potentially indefinite development cycle (i.e., "endless beta" sound familiar?). In my mind, the executive directive says, "We will get these things working first, but it's too early to make concrete plans for post-milestone objectives." Granted, I did read into Joe's response and Epic's situation more than was relayed literally to reach my assertions.

I am affording Epic a fair deal of goodwill here, as these well-intentioned, indefinite completion date projects require, but Joe's explanation at 31:22 was nonetheless not what I'd call "encouraging". However, Joe did also say, "We may eventually, if the community doesn't build Assault, build Assault." Which is encouraging to know that Epic has not yet precluded themselves from developing objective-oriented vehicular gametypes without the community's lead. I further want to point out that I believe he used "Assault" conversationally, as a representative example of an additional gametype that Epic may create rather than the only other gametype under consideration. A follow-up clarification is probably in order (and may have been issued somewhere in the UT Dev forums already?). In any event, give Epic some more time.

Comment

They should roll VCTF & CTF into one gametype. I made a custom Greed gametype that looks for the map prefix & give players translocators in CTF maps & a hoverboard in VCTF maps.

Comment

When they started, Steve Polge was adamant about the vehicular gametypes, esp. when beating back the pleas from the Anointed Ones* not to include them. They created a whole sub-forum for vehicles at the UE/UT Forums. That was back in May and early June, though.

I realize they have to give priority to these other gametypes, but jeebus, what an omission, esp. since it was done twice with three other people sitting right there, including Flak.

* The UT99 hardcores who blame ONS and vCTF for the coming Armageddon.

Comment

Nary a mention in this week's update either. They talked a great deal about CTF, and have some great ideas, but nothing about vCTF or WAR/ONS. I'm having trouble believing Epic is relegating a once-great gametype like ONS to the likes of Jailbreak and FREON, but they haven't said anything lately to the contrary. At least they mention those gametypes. [shrugs] I guess we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by [S]JZL View Post
              Nary a mention in this week's update either. They talked a great deal about CTF, and have some great ideas, but nothing about vCTF or WAR/ONS. I'm having trouble believing Epic is relegating a once-great gametype like ONS to the likes of Jailbreak and FREON, but they haven't said anything lately to the contrary. At least they mention those gametypes. [shrugs] I guess we'll see.
              baby steps my friend. success doesn't happen overnight. snipers first the rest will come later w

Comment

Originally posted by geronaho View Post
                baby steps my friend. success doesn't happen overnight. snipers first the rest will come later w
                SNIPERS MUST BE SQUOOOOSHED!!

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                  When they talk about the gametypes they gonna provide, they talk about the upcoming public alpha release and not the full game. The development of the full game will likely take months and years and will probably never ends.
                  Vehicles are already added as placeholders. There will be vehicle game types. But the focus is on (T)DM and CTF. Once everything is in a good shape, they continue adding new gametypes. The current team is not like the older teams. They are about 7 core developers. It's limited.
                  Releasing the core game types of DM and CTF first makes alot of sense. That means UT4 will be out sooner and players will be able to play sooner. Releasing the vehicle game types at the same time would mean a longer wait.

This may also benefit the DM and CTFcommunity by having a larger player base early on. Replacing the UT3 campaign with a UT2004 style Tournament in UT4 would also take advantage of a larger player base.

I do think the first vehicle "pack" should come out no more then 3-4 months after the release of the core game types while the player base is still large and fresh. Too long of a wait would likely be bad for the community.

Comment

I do hope they release something vehicle related. I am a Warfare gamer, but I'll definitely take anything to do with vehicles. Creating vehicles (as previously mentioned) takes more time though; I just hope they get around to it when the time comes. They did talk about Assault, which (as many of you know), had vehicles in UT2k4. I am optimistic.

Comment

Trello programming roadmap released last week: https://trello.com/b/Q07L4mSS/unreal...nt-programming

References to both Bombing Run and Vehicles, w000t!! (Prolly 2015 but better than never!-- maybe i can learn to program by then )

Gawd, it's hard to fathom how many elements have to be dealt with until you see even just the categories all in one place like this.

Comment

So far there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity on the side of vehicles being modeled. Perfect time for those of you with the skills to jump in and get your ideas looked at and with any luck possibly even in the game.

Comment

Exactly. Otherwise, we may don't get vehicles anytime soon. (...if there wouldn't be that pay wall ).

Comment

No vehicles = no UT4 for me & probably most of Hedsteem. We'll just keep rockin UT3.

Comment

They are on the list to be added, just nobody has started them yet. They will be implemented eventually though.

Comment

Working...
                              X