What's your favorite Warfare map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favorite Warfare map?

What's your favorite Warfare map (either stock or custom) & what do you like about it?

What's your LEAST favorite Warfare map & what do you dislike about it?

WAR-Hostile is probably my favorite. I like the dark outdoors swampy look & the node setup is straight forward & simple. I also like that it's kind of an assault style where one side never attacks the enemy core directly. I prefer large maps with fewer nodes that are spaced apart far enough that it takes the enemy longer to reach it rather than maps with nodes close together & out in the open that are easily attacked. I like maps that are out of the ordinary, that are more than a pile of nodes on a map. WAR-PsychoTropix has some really cool scripted sequences that go along with the capturing of the nodes as well as stuff going on it the background that really makes the map interesting.

My least favorite map is probably WAR-Floodgate. Cool looking map but the spawns are too close to the first nodes & it's nearly impossible to hold it long enough to attack the core. The half of the map near the water isn't really used & it would have been better with maybe just 2 nodes spread out farther apart.

Great thread. You're the only player I know who actually likes WAR-Hostile. I admit, it's an interesting map, and I do wish it was played more, if people knew how to play it. Anyway, I tend to like the vast majority of the Warfare maps; I am a Warfare player after all! My favourite and least favourite maps depend on how you look at a map: visuals or flow. For example, I love WAR-Torlan's visuals, but the map doesn't flow very well (more on that later). I guess I'm one of the few that prefer UT3 Torlan over 2004 Torlan.

Favourite: WAR-Downtown

I like how the map works. It's a little small towards the northern area of the map, but overall it has everything in a nice package. The design of this map also works well, however I would prefer to have one more entrance into the primes (or have part of the ceiling open, like in Downtown_Necris). The nodes are a little "tight", but that doesn't seem to matter to me. My explanation is quite vague, but that's because I have quite a few favourites that are difficult to explain.

Least Favourite: There are a couple maps I generally don't care for; WAR-Floodgate and WAR-Avalanche being examples. But I really don't like is WAR-Torlan for gameplay purposes.

It's a shame. Like I said at the top of this post, the map is beautiful, the visuals are amazing, but the gameplay and the map's "flow" are a total mess. There are several problems:

1. The SPMA: once a team get's the two SPMA's into position, it's very difficult for the other team to try to advance, or try to hold their prime. This locks down the game very quickly.

2. Link Setups: I don't agree with the team's starting off with their prime's built; it separates the team at the beginning of a match. This also bugs me in WAR-Serenity.

3. The bridge node: The node under the bridge is simply not needed. The main problem there is the orb spawn. In a hypothetical situation: Say red has all the nodes, except the bridge node, which blue has. Blue is taking fire on their core, but their orb is at the bridge node. There are no manta's at the bridge node, so taxi's are non-existent, making a successful orb run unlikely. This also separates the team; when blue needs the team to work.. well as a team. Anyway, blue has 20% left on their core, and say red takes the bridge node. Now, if they lose their prime (they won't really have to worry because of the SPMA's spamming artillery on the prime), all red has to do is run a very smooth orb run from bridge to the enemy prime in friendly territory.

The map simply doesn't work. Usually, about 80% of the time, one team will hold the enemy prime, and because of one or more of these problems, the other team will be locked into a "slow death" as I like to call it, until the end of the match. That team may get lucky and take back their prime, but with the SPMA's and the bridge node, they will simply lose it again.

I know people are probably going to disagree with me on this, but that's just my honest opinion.

Comment

I agree about the Torlans. I turned UT3 Torlan (just the center area with the bridge) into VCTF-BridgeOfDoom. It's one of the most popular maps on Hedsteem's VCTF server. I have a version of Serenity on my Bloodshed server (modded warfare) & ALL the nodes are stand alone so there is no link setup. Attack & hold as many nodes as possible. Capturing nodes slowly drains the enemy core so you never attack it directly & the more nodes you have captured the faster the enemy core drains. One of warfares biggest problems is confusing or just plain bad node setups. I've played a few custom maps with as many as 10 nodes jammed together & node setups that look like spider webs that are so confusing you don't know what's going on. As far as link setups go I'd like to see some assault style maps where say red starts out with all the nodes & blue has to attack & push red back to their base. The final node that's is in red base is a countdown that if captured will destroy red's core. Blue's core takes damage every time a blue player dies making survival an important part of winning the game.

Comment

(Sorry about the length and formatting. TL;DR is bolded and underlined )

Difficult to answer. I can usually find things to like in any map, and I put my blinders on for those other things that kind of suck, which every map has in my experience. It's easy enough to ignore the bad parts if they aren't in your face, making the match a chore.

I would like to say that my favorite map is a custom, but I simply have not played enough on any customs that I actually liked since I returned to UT3 to make that judgement. I thought Dawn was fun--so much better than Dusk. Alien Sands on Epic 2 would be decent if we played with the orb. The WAR version of Rails is okay, but a large part of that is the original Rails actually being a good map, of which I'd say more than half of its good gameplay was sacrificed for the WAR reskin. If you had asked about vCTF maps, then I'd say that OffTheRails and Tarydium Mining Cave were great for Greed. vCTF has many more fun and interesting maps than WAR by a long shot. ...but on to actual WAR maps.

Of the stock maps, Floodgate seems to produce the most interesting back-and-forth gameplay, which keeps the rounds from stagnating. The relatively short distances between nodes keeps dead time (e.g., traveling) and pointless skirmishes to a minimum. The option and need to maintain flood node in addition to the linked nodes, even when one team is backed up at their prime for 10 minutes, effectively combats defensive stagnation (i.e., seeing only prime for the entire round and failing to make any headway feels crappy). More importantly, the need to maintain flood node requires multi-tasking, delegation (and therefore trust), and teamwork, and flood node is reasonable to manage or juggle because it is so close to prime node and the orb spawner, unlike levi node in Serenity. Despite the Darkwalkers, Nemesis, and major sniping potential, Floodgate isn't a really map where the enemy team's dug in defenses must first be deconstructed to effectively advance, due in large part to no Goliath and difficulty defending nodes with heavy vehicles. Only the Nightshade's spider mines, invisible road kills, and node defenses really muck things up; but even so, all the node areas have many entrances for the Nightshade to manage properly and the viper self-destruct is an effective and easy countermeasure. The separation of the Rocket Launcher and Shock Rifle from the Flak Cannon is also an interesting challenge, as well as the sparseness of AVRiLs, which aren't missed too much due to lower vehicle emphasis. All in all, it's not an insurmountable map, and players are forced to cope with a few challenges that are kept from being overly aggravating.

Having said that, I also enjoy Downtown for its heavy fighting. The nodes are placed very closely together, and decent skirmishes can break out anywhere except for the tiny hallways. If you want action, all you have to do is walk outside. For that simple reason, I give Downtown the edge over Floodgate. Downtown is highly replayable whereas other maps become monotonous exercises. Regardless, the Goliath presents a very ugly side in Downtown with unneeded defense. I can think of a many adjectives for the Goliath in Downtown, but 'fun' is not among them when it's defending for minutes on end, defensively carrying a team that can't win enemy prime without flukes or the redeemer too. It's like Titan. Stalemates are not particularly fun to struggle through, especially in objective-oriented gametypes. Thus, I prefer Downtown for its intensity, but I abhor its numbing stalemates. An unfortunate dichotomy.

As for least favorite... given how hard WAR maps are to do well, I have several easy examples of maps that don't play well. Islander deserves an obvious mention for non-existent balance, but it somehow creates awesome grudge matches. At the very least, the fundamental concept of close and far core distances from the prime node succeeds in keeping the map from being a total failure. To be clear, fighting and repeatedly dying to overwhelming defense, in the hopes of achieving the big upset 10-15 minutes into the round, doesn't fit my definition of 'fun.'

Then there's the newer maps, Confrontation, Cold Harbor, and Hostile, in that order. Confrontation would be bearable if only more than a minority of players actually attacked the enemy core, but I guess the great size and openness of the map provide ample distraction. Oh, and of course most players don't know or have difficulty with all the various little "tricks" to damage the cores without the Leviathan or Redeemer. Then there's every time any team has even possessed the Leviathan and not attacked the enemy core (or drove it into the deep reservoir)! Also not helpful. In sum, a player with no, little, or even moderate experience on the map will be hard-pressed to discover and effectively execute methods for damaging their enemy's core.

Cold Harbor is more of the same, except players can't directly damage (or even find!) the cores at all. Once the newness of the map wears off, one becomes painfully aware how much of a slog the map really is. The countdown timer becomes very long for defenders to hold off all the vehicles and the Redeemer, which is basically a free pass. Likewise for the attackers of even a moderately defended countdown node; the cost for failure is just too high. An imbalanced game of Cold Harbor is not fun because the lesser side really won't be able to engineer much effective offense, yet they have little else to do before their inevitable loss. A well-balanced game of Cold Harbor is also not fun because the map can only support so many (up to) 60 second countdowns before overtime, and the repetitive routine with rarely anything gained wears thin soon enough. One can only hope the match is won before a critical volume of players are shed, frustrated with the futility of it all. Overall, the map can't be over soon enough.

Hostile is by far the worst Epic Warfare map, bar none . I'm just not one to "ragequit" or leave prematurely, but I have no qualms over leaving this map. For that reason, the map's particulars are fuzzy for me... It's like the opposite of Islander because the side with the extreme disadvantage (i.e., the Darkwalker and Scavengers side, Red?) is pushed right to their base. The demands on that team are so much higher than the team with an "exposed" core. They must expend immense energy to push out to the middle node, and then to the enemy base, with no orb tows along a linear path, for all intents and purposes. What's more, I remember biased vehicle versus foot soldier conditions, and the center node had a Shock Turret too(?)! Finding the exposed core while overcoming or avoiding numerous players on the way is its own adventure. Naturally, one collective misstep and significant gains are wiped out. Very punishing for morale too. My residual opinion of the map was that the disadvantaged team must have the superior players in order to stand a real chance. In short, a (basically) linear, uphill battle. Hostile = up s*** creek without a paddle for one team.

Special mention for Valley. Fighting on steep slopes is annoying. Traveling up steep slopes is annoying. Having few vehicles is annoying. Maneuvering those vehicles around rocky outcroppings and over uneven terrain is annoying. That was someone's idea of fun? You know the terrain has issues when the experienced viper pilots know to glide along the absolute walls of the map, avoiding the terrain entirely. Despite all the rocky outcroppings, the paths were decidedly linear, and the prime node areas were a pain to enter from the "non-linear" directions (i.e., over the walls).

I was going to clear up some stuff about Torlan, but this post is too long already .

Comment

Floodgate!!!!

Comment

Downtown
            Floodgate
            Onyx Coast (at the time noone was able to handle the fury that well).

Avalanche and Islander were okay but these were one-sided and glitchy. PowerSurge was one of the maps which weren't played that often but I really liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rumplehedskin View Post
              I agree about the Torlans. I turned UT3 Torlan (just the center area with the bridge) into VCTF-BridgeOfDoom. It's one of the most popular maps on Hedsteem's VCTF server. I have a version of Serenity on my Bloodshed server (modded warfare) & ALL the nodes are stand alone so there is no link setup. Attack & hold as many nodes as possible. Capturing nodes slowly drains the enemy core so you never attack it directly & the more nodes you have captured the faster the enemy core drains. One of warfares biggest problems is confusing or just plain bad node setups. I've played a few custom maps with as many as 10 nodes jammed together & node setups that look like spider webs that are so confusing you don't know what's going on. As far as link setups go I'd like to see some assault style maps where say red starts out with all the nodes & blue has to attack & push red back to their base. The final node that's is in red base is a countdown that if captured will destroy red's core. Blue's core takes damage every time a blue player dies making survival an important part of winning the game.
              I was actually thinking of making a map sort of "assault style" myself, maybe even using some of the announcer sounds for assault in UT 2004. No promises, but I think I can make it... gives me an idea. I'm planning on using UT Special Objectives actors (if you're a mapper, you'll know what I'm talking about). They're used in WAR-Tank Crossing to tell the player to cross the bridge.

Originally posted by FunTimez View Post
              Islander deserves an obvious mention for non-existent balance
              Let's not forget about WAR-Onyx Coast. Red (almost) completely depends on the levi to win, and the bridge node is utterly useless. The fact that blue also has a fury makes this map pretty off-balance. It's worse on PS3, red doesn't even get manta's...

Originally posted by FunTimez View Post
              Then there's the newer maps, Confrontation, Cold Harbor, and Hostile, in that order. Confrontation would be bearable if only more than a minority of players actually attacked the enemy core, but I guess the great size and openness of the map provide ample distraction. Oh, and of course most players don't know or have difficulty with all the various little "tricks" to damage the cores without the Leviathan or Redeemer. Then there's every time any team has even possessed the Leviathan and not attacked the enemy core (or drove it into the deep reservoir)! Also not helpful. In sum, a player with no, little, or even moderate experience on the map will be hard-pressed to discover and effectively execute methods for damaging their enemy's core.

Cold Harbor is more of the same, except players can't directly damage (or even find!) the cores at all. Once the newness of the map wears off, one becomes painfully aware how much of a slog the map really is. The countdown timer becomes very long for defenders to hold off all the vehicles and the Redeemer, which is basically a free pass. Likewise for the attackers of even a moderately defended countdown node; the cost for failure is just too high. An imbalanced game of Cold Harbor is not fun because the lesser side really won't be able to engineer much effective offense, yet they have little else to do before their inevitable loss. A well-balanced game of Cold Harbor is also not fun because the map can only support so many (up to) 60 second countdowns before overtime, and the repetitive routine with rarely anything gained wears thin soon enough. One can only hope the match is won before a critical volume of players are shed, frustrated with the futility of it all. Overall, the map can't be over soon enough.

Hostile is by far the worst Epic Warfare map, bar none . I'm just not one to "ragequit" or leave prematurely, but I have no qualms over leaving this map. For that reason, the map's particulars are fuzzy for me... It's like the opposite of Islander because the side with the extreme disadvantage (i.e., the Darkwalker and Scavengers side, Red?) is pushed right to their base. The demands on that team are so much higher than the team with an "exposed" core. They must expend immense energy to push out to the middle node, and then to the enemy base, with no orb tows along a linear path, for all intents and purposes. What's more, I remember biased vehicle versus foot soldier conditions, and the center node had a Shock Turret too(?)! Finding the exposed core while overcoming or avoiding numerous players on the way is its own adventure. Naturally, one collective misstep and significant gains are wiped out. Very punishing for morale too. My residual opinion of the map was that the disadvantaged team must have the superior players in order to stand a real chance. In short, a (basically) linear, uphill battle. Hostile = up s*** creek without a paddle for one team.
              Wow... some harsh words for the titan maps. I actually kind of like WAR-Confrontation, but it is difficult to attack the core. My only beef with WAR-Cold Harbor is the fact that the amount of damage given to an opponents core varies? - to be honest, I never fully understood this map. Like I said above, WAR-Hostile is an interesting map, but I can't say it's the worst in the game; but maybe I haven't played it enough to know for sure.

Anyway, from the few responses to this thread; I'm kind of surprised no one has said WAR-Tank Crossing. This map is widely hated it seems.

Comment

If you like I can show you how to set up kismet to damage the cores when players get killed. That or you can set kismet to damage a core over time to make an assault style map. I'm excited to see what you come up with!

Comment

If you like I can show you how to set up kismet to damage the cores when players get killed. That or you can set kismet to damage a core over time to make an assault style map. I'm excited to see what you come up with!
                  Yeah, I have it sort of working now. Every time an attacker dies, their core loses 0.5%. Although knowing how to make the core drain over time would be great; as I don't know how to do that.

Comment

Instead of linking the damage to players getting killed link it to a looping delay timer set to something like 10 seconds.
                    Edit: @ silk- What do you think about the ideas in the last post I made. https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...4#post31848504

Comment

Wow only 4 warfare players here? Thanks for the replies guys!

Comment

Instead of linking the damage to players getting killed link it to a looping delay timer set to something like 10 seconds.
                        Edit: @ silk- What do you think about the ideas in the last post I made. https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...4#post31848504
                        Yeah, I got it working now. Trying to see if I can turn off the "Red core is heavily damaged" and "Red core is critical", but I think those announcements are "hard-coded". Anyway, about your post, headlights on vehicles are an excellent idea; I believe they were in UT 2004. Some great changes all around, looks awesome!

Comment

Wow only 4 warfare players here? Thanks for the replies guys!
                          That is all the players left after the new patch. o

#truth

oh btw

gerenity and floodgate are the only warfare maps worth playing.

ihitscans

Comment

Originally posted by slik_sh00ter View Post
                            Yeah, I got it working now. Trying to see if I can turn off the "Red core is heavily damaged" and "Red core is critical", but I think those announcements are "hard-coded". Anyway, about your post, headlights on vehicles are an excellent idea; I believe they were in UT 2004. Some great changes all around, looks awesome!
                            I can code up some with those removed if you like. It would literally take me like 30 seconds to do.

Edit: I can change the text that appears on the screen. Do you want that changed to say something else? Here is the default messages:

PowerCoreAttackedString="Blue Core under Attack!"
                            PowerCoreDestroyedString="Blue Core Destroyed"
                            PowerCoreCriticalString="Blue Core is Critical!"
                            PowerCoreVulnerableString="Blue Core Vulnerable!"
                            PowerCoreDamagedString="Blue Core is Heavily Damaged!"
                            PowerCoreNoHealString="You cannot heal your Core!"
                            PowerCoreSecureString="Blue Core is Secure."

PowerCoreAttackedString="Red Core under Attack!"
                            PowerCoreDestroyedString="Red Core Destroyed"
                            PowerCoreCriticalString="Red Core is Critical!"
                            PowerCoreVulnerableString="Red Core Vulnerable!"
                            PowerCoreDamagedString="Red Core is Heavily Damaged!"
                            PowerCoreSecureString="Red Core is Secure."

Comment

I can code up some with those removed if you like. It would literally take me like 30 seconds to do.

Edit: I can change the text that appears on the screen. Do you want that changed to say something else? Here is the default messages:

PowerCoreAttackedString="Blue Core under Attack!"
                              PowerCoreDestroyedString="Blue Core Destroyed"
                              PowerCoreCriticalString="Blue Core is Critical!"
                              PowerCoreVulnerableString="Blue Core Vulnerable!"
                              PowerCoreDamagedString="Blue Core is Heavily Damaged!"
                              PowerCoreNoHealString="You cannot heal your Core!"
                              PowerCoreSecureString="Blue Core is Secure."

PowerCoreAttackedString="Red Core under Attack!"
                              PowerCoreDestroyedString="Red Core Destroyed"
                              PowerCoreCriticalString="Red Core is Critical!"
                              PowerCoreVulnerableString="Red Core Vulnerable!"
                              PowerCoreDamagedString="Red Core is Heavily Damaged!"
                              PowerCoreSecureString="Red Core is Secure."
                              That would be great if you could change it or tell how to change it. I can't code whatsoever outside Kismet. I can't think of anything that could replace the string, but maybe something along the lines of the amount of time left until the core gets to zero.

Comment

Working...
                              X