Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some UT3 guide sources

Hi all,

With all the fuss around the new UT anouncement, the unreal tournament subreddit has seen a lot of newcomers, and i expect more. The issue is that there's close to no ressources for new people to get in the game there. The sub being in a revamping process, i'll try to work on it as i can to fix some issues.

The point here is lots of people are trashing over UT3 there (because it failz, dumb and no contentz, killed the series and stuff... , you know what i mean uh) without searching on how to fix it properly before, i'd like to write a guide for the sidebar on how to set up properly UT3 to its full potential with must have mods / maps / configs / websites / etc. so after someone followed the guide, they have a great Unreal game to play with.

I'm already using lots of sources like the stickies here, various forums (beyond unreal, unreal old friends, unrealfr for instance) but would like to get some more as i'll probably miss some hidden gems. I'd like to know of active servers and communities at the moment too (precise EU/US/etc.) as i'm mostly a LAN player, i'm not too much in the internet thing in UT3 atm.

So if you think something deserves to be in the guide please say so here with a link if there's one, maybe also with why it needs to be in, why you love it, what are the bad points and so on (i can make my own experience too, no worries). You can also PM me if you prefer.

Also, if there's a download of it that's not in the link, please link it here at the same time.

It's a great time to grow back the community, we really need to not miss it, i'm aware reddit has its cons, but it also have lots of people wanting to play even though most are too lazy to do their own research.

It's time to change the Unreal community point of view on UT3.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit: I finished the guide, you can find the thread here.

That's sad PlayforGG, i really know what you're talking about... Consider (by my own experience) most of them, and i mean an awful lot played ONLY the demo or pre patched ut3. They still think the game is at that same state (lets be honest here, i could see why they would whine yes) and nothing changed whatsoever.
    I've played several thousands of hours of ut3, but they are telling me how wrong i am and how a fanboy i am about it and i know nothing. Even though ppl with who i talk about on a general basis, pretty much know and will guarantee you it's not the case at all. I always use the analogy of the fat guy at school everyone is picking at:

For sure this dude should have pay more attention to his diet and for sure yes, he should do some cardio, no doubt... But why are you messing with him? Why are you mocking him? You never ever talked to him? I'm that guy that would say to the others: "srsly gt*o a bit? Let him fkn alone, you dont even know him and hes a pretty fine dude, fo...".
    It doesn't change the fact i think he should have taken more into account his diet nor i think hes a fkn Brad Pitt. Though, hes fkn nice and cool.

I have the same thing with ut3, it's not the perfect game, but it's a very nice game especially with all the patches, and the content added and still added to this day (thx rattlesnake and wgh for example). Some ppl can't be helped PlayforGG, excuse me to be a bit "harsh" but they are ret****ed for a lot of them. They scream a lot but have nothing to back it up 95% of the time .

"huh it's not ut2k4 and i've been owned by ut99ers, ut3 is so ****" haters are legions unfortunately. They aren't all like that ,thanks god and u can constructively talk about what ut3 missed out without any problem with some of them and discuss peacefully about what could have been better.Too few though...

After this little aparté, well i could relay to you all the infos needed (i created a topic last years on the Old Unrealnorth site (now dead)). I wont be here today until night i think but we can talk about it tomorrow on IRC if you want.

Cu around (also i got your pm, we can talk about it also at the same time)

Comment

It would help to see what you already have. Link for that?

I'll post some .ini tweaks. You would change the .ini files in your Users folder rather than the base .ini files in your installation directory. Win7 location is C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config.

Code:
      UTEngine.ini

[Engine.GameEngine]
      bSmoothFrameRate=False   //I've had it off for a long time. I forget exactly what it did because it wasn't quite VSync. Source of input lag, reduces fluidity?
      MaxSmoothedFrameRate=0

[Engine.DemoRecDriver]
      NetServerMaxTickRate=90   //These two should let you adjust the FPS (?) of your demo recordings (command is 'demorec' in the console
      LanServerMaxTickRate=90

[Core.System]
      MaxStaleCacheSize=10000   //Increase cache expiry time in days, I believe. Default was 30. This is to prevent UT3 from removing custom content downloaded in-game.
      MaxOverallCacheSize=30000   //Increase cache maximum capacity in MB. Default was 100 MB? Otherwise, the oldest content would be purged.

//There are a few cache conversion utilities that will help you move cache data to the correct folders with the correct formating.

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
      MaxClientRate=15000
      MaxInternetClientRate=15000
      NetServerMaxTickRate=90
      LanServerMaxTickRate=90
      IdleServerTickRate=90

//Adjust your server settings if you host a game? I don't do that. Preferred tick rate is 90; default should be 30.

[SystemSettings]
      MotionBlur=False   //We don't want this.
      DepthOfField=False   //Turn it off!!! Severely impacts ability to see anything in the distance.
      Bloom=False   //Almost as bad as depth of field, although the two settings may be linked.
      SpeedTreeLeaves=False   //Disable foliage. Some trees and bushes obscure vision but don't block attacks. Hardly an eyesore. Paired with tree fronds.
      SpeedTreeFronds=False   //Disable foliage. Some trees and bushes obscure vision but don't block attacks. Hardly an eyesore. Paired with tree leaves.

[Engine.AudioDevice]
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Character,Properties=(Volume=1.8))   //Competitive players will turn this way-the-heck-up, maybe even to 10.0. Adjust all player (including self) grunts, footsteps, landings, etc.
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Item,Properties=(Volume=1.4))   //Competitive players will also turn this up a lot, maybe 3.0 is sufficient? Hear item pickup noises from across the map!
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Vehicle,Properties=(Volume=1.5))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Weapon,Properties=(Volume=1.2))

//Control loudness of various "object groups." Volume of 1.0 should be 10/10 on the in-game sound sliders, thus these settings are "above maximum."

[FullScreenMovie]
      ;StartupMovies=Copyright_PC
      StartupMovies=EpicLogo
      StartupMovies=MidwayLogo
      StartupMovies=UE3_logo
      ;StartupMovies=Nvidia_PC
      ;StartupMovies=Intel_Duo_Logo
      StartupMovies=UT_loadmovie1

//Disable the short videos that play when UT3 launches (comment out with semi-colon). I kept the more "tasteful" ones that actually pertain to UT3...
      Code:
      UTGame.ini

[UTGame.UTPawn]
      Bob=0.000
      bWeaponBob=False

//Disable bobbing effects when walking.

[UTGame.UTPlayerController]
      bLandingShake=False   //Who wants screen shake when they're trying to pull off a tricky shot???
      OnFootDefaultFOV=90.000000   //Adjust FOV as desired.
      bCenteredWeaponFire=True   //No-brainer. By default, UT3's crosshair and weapon fire don't perfectly align.

[UTGame.UTHUD]
      bShowDamage=true
      DamageIndicatorSize=384

//Important. Not certain if these are the correct variables. By default, UT3 flashes intensely when players take damage, which is highly distracting.
      //Adjust or disable that intensity with these variables. I've set an arbitrary value that doesn't bother me. Can indicate the direction of damage (???),
      //but I am barely aware of this feature in most games.
      Code:
      UTInput.ini

[Engine.PlayerInput]
      bEnableMouseSmoothing=False   //Disable!!! Mouse acceleration.

LookRightScale=0.000000
      LookUpScale=0.000000
      Bindings=(Name="MouseX",Command="Count bXAxis | Axis aMouseX Speed=2.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
      Bindings=(Name="MouseY",Command="Count bYAxis | Axis aMouseY Speed=2.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
      Bindings=(Name="LookUp",Command="Axis aLookUp Speed=+25.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
      Bindings=(Name="LookDown",Command="Axis aLookUp Speed=-25.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
      Bindings=(Name="GBA_TurnLeft",Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=-40.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
      Bindings=(Name="GBA_TurnRight",Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=+40.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

//Recommended. Together, these comprise a mouse movement tweak that was advertised to "create 1:1 movement like UT2K4" or some such.

[UTGame.UTConsolePlayerInput]
      bViewAccelerationEnabled=FALSE
      bDebugViewAcceleration=FALSE
      ViewAccel_YawThreshold=0.0f
      ViewAccel_DiagonalThreshold=0.0f
      ViewAccel_BaseMultiplier=0.0f
      ViewAccel_TimeToHoldBeforeFastAcceleration=0.0f
      ViewAccel_RampSpeed=0.0f
      ViewAccel_MaxTurnSpeed=0.0f
      ViewAccel_Twitchy=0.0f
      ViewAccel_PitchThreshold=0.0f
      ViewAccel_LookingUpOrDownBoundary=0.0f
      ViewAccel_BackToCenterBoundary=0.0f
      ViewAccel_BackToCenterSpeed=0.0f

//Disable acceleration for controllers??? Disable if paranoid.

[UTGame.UTPlayerInput]
      LookRightScale=0.000000
      LookUpScale=0.000000
      Bindings=(Name="MouseX",Command="Count bXAxis | Axis aMouseX Speed=2.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
      Bindings=(Name="MouseY",Command="Count bYAxis | Axis aMouseY Speed=2.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
      Bindings=(Name="LookUp",Command="Axis aLookUp Speed=+25.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
      Bindings=(Name="LookDown",Command="Axis aLookUp Speed=-25.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
      Bindings=(Name="GBA_TurnLeft",Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=-40.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
      Bindings=(Name="GBA_TurnRight",Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=+40.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

//Same as above.

[BattleTeamArena.BattlePlayerInput]
      LookRightScale=0.000000
      LookUpScale=0.000000
      MouseSensitivity=3.45000   //Adjust to match main game mouse sensitivity.
      bEnableMouseSmoothing=False

//Config created specifically for Battle Team Arena mod (BTA, a.k.a. TAM?) if installed. Mirror your other UTInput configs, or use stock settings.
      There's more tweaks like custom crosshairs and special chat and weapon binds, but I don't use them.

Also, while unrelated to UT, I recommend anyone who is interested in attaining the lowest, smoothest possible input lag read this thread of compiled Windows and BIOS settings and considerations. Some of the adjustments in there were definitely not placebo. Don't just read the OP, though, because it doesn't have everything mentioned in the thread like disabling Application Experience and changing devices from IRQ to MSI mode. And there's also overclocking your mouse's USB port to the same frequency as the mouse's polling rate (USB is usually 100Hz, mouse is 500 or 1000Hz) not mentioned in that thread. But that's scope creep.

Comment

I really think that UT3 doesn't get his attention as it should be. If you really look at the core, UT3 is quite the same as UT99. It's just updated to the current generation of games (in visual perspective).
        Most worse part of UT3 is the reduced UI. And i think MapMixer should be a quite nice example of what a new UT could look like. Also, the colors should be tweaked. That's all why UT3 failed. The limited content from UT3 has been added by several community members for instance UT3Dom. The only problem with all the custom content, there were less players than in the old days.

I don't want to sound like a UT3 fanboy but regarding the gameplay mechanics and physics, UT3 was about perfect. UT2k4 seems like a arcade game to me.

Comment

Originally posted by FunTimez View Post
          It would help to see what you already have. Link for that?
          Fair enough.
          I'm compiling everything that's stickied in general and mapping that can be useful, with info taken from multiple pages in certain cases.

Some ini tweaks, for input/visuals. Tutorial for steam integration, directory architecture, mods and map install process and folders.

Links to Comp/Comp2, UOF, HOLP, CBP3 map packs.

On maps, i'll give a couple of must have maps in my opinion (both for gameplay and visuals), i'll link to mapraider and utzone for single maps. A link to stevelois blog map pages and the old UT remake thread here. Ill give pseudo of great mappers (in my opinion) to ease the search for great quality maps. Most from stevelois' blog and some from here/UOF forums/Beyond Unreal forums. Feel free to suggest mappers you like, or ask not to be in the list, you can PM me if you prefer.

Link and explanation to DOM and BTA gamemodes.

Link and tutorial for MapMixer, FoxMod, utComp, freeFov
          Plus links to some mutators that i feel are a must have : some from RattleSN4K3, spectator stuff, dodgejump mutator to get some ut2k4 players in, relics, weapon arenas and maybe some weapons like the shredder.

Link to some communities that are still somewhat active : BeyondUnreal, Unreal Old Friends and here.

That's all i got at the moment, i'm compiling all of that this week end and will take what i get here during the next week then post it here and in reddit (i'll ask for a link in the sidebar and put it in the subreddit's wiki too).
          I might add some links to Unreal map review and/or news sites too, i don't know. If you know some you like, please suggest them.
          My worst missing piece is the online part as i'm mostly playing in LAN.

Thanks a lot for the inis, there are some things in it that i might not have.
          The other thing is a bit too computer savvy for the guide i'm writing, it's a lot more in the advanced stuff oO, i didn't knew it was even possible.

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
          I really think that UT3 doesn't get his attention as it should be. If you really look at the core, UT3 is quite the same as UT99. It's just updated to the current generation of games (in visual perspective).
          Most worse part of UT3 is the reduced UI. And i think MapMixer should be a quite nice example of what a new UT could look like. Also, the colors should be tweaked. That's all why UT3 failed. The limited content from UT3 has been added by several community members for instance UT3Dom. The only problem with all the custom content, there were less players than in the old days.

I don't want to sound like a UT3 fanboy but regarding the gameplay mechanics and physics, UT3 was about perfect. UT2k4 seems like a arcade game to me.
          I also think that, hence why i'm doing this guide and trying to put it somewhere it'll get visibility. All the info is there, but scattered everywhere.

Comment

I have pre tweaked inis i could hand to you(mine), i also created Essential packs with all mutators to watch old demos from comp. players back then, created also mappacks with the most played duel/tdm maps and so on.
            If you want it, tell me =) .

Comment

I'm pretty much playing vanilla ini (except having RypelCam added and custom keybindings). Speaking of RypelCam, that's one thing which was updated for UT3 and should be used for all the guys who are enjoing watch demos.

Also, Invastion is worth to mention, not sure if UT3 Invasion or Galtanor's Invasion.
              Another nice mod would be Assault, which wasn't final sadly.

Comment

Yeah it really sucks to hear the bashing, especially in the comments section below articles relating to the new UT. You can tell they basically didn't play the game.

For DM, I plan on keeping my Dallas server up until the new UT starts really taking off. I categorized the DM maps in the gametype voting so it is just not a sea of maps and I have decent redirect so that a theoretical UT3 hater could join and step through the maps and see everything they missed.

I've played all UT's since the beginning and I just played UT3 online last night and I just don't get why people don't like it.

Comment

Hey all, i'm close to finishing my guide but i have some issues finding a working link for the Base UT3DOM gamemode (https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...ation-Only-Mod).
                  I know that the mode in itself is available via CBP3/UOF, but i can't find the original mode's maps anywhere. Does someone has a backup somewhere ?

Comment

Search for "UT3Dom5_Setup.zip".
                    There is also this mappack:
                    http://unrealoldfriends.activeboard.com/t46808223

These files are just to big for me to upload it ^^.

Comment

Thanks for the exact file name, finally found it on Torlan.ru with it

Here's the link if anyone wanted it : http://chireiden.torlan.ru/files/UT3Dom5/

For DOM, i'm linking to the core mod, plus UOF-EG, CBP3 and NyLeve's Legacy. Plenty of maps to play.

Edit: I finished the guide, you can find the thread here.

Comment

Working...
                      X