Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UE4-based UT clone getting interest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UE4-based UT clone getting interest

Hey guys, was over in the UE4 forums and noticed that there is good solid interest to put together a UT clone in UE4. It's a daunting task but here's hoping it succeeds. If a basic multiplayer shell can be formed to the point where mappers could join the fray, I think it could really take off. The biggest challenge is the lack of existing content to draw on.

RattleSN4K3 is on the team! Go Rattle!

Check it out HERE.

The other good sign is that Epic's own Alexander Paschall stopped by to clarify things and essentially bless it. Here's his post:

Originally posted by Alexander Paschall
    Hi Everybody,

We are very honored to see how many people are interested in creating this project; it speaks volumes about how much Unreal Tournament has touched our lives.

I went ahead and talked about this to our business department and what it comes down to is this: We encourage you to create a community-based "spiritual sequel" project that can be 100% your own. We would be ecstatic to see a project that is inspired by the fast-paced and intense gameplay of Unreal Tournament. However, we also want to make sure there are no business complications down the road, so please do not use the Unreal Tournament name or any trademarked or copyright protected content in the project. Other than that, we are thrilled to see what will come of the project. Please keep us posted with updates!

Aaaannnd I'm sold. Where do I insert wallet?

Seriously though, given that this is probably the best news we're likely to get in terms of seeing another tournament game, I would love to see this accomplished. As you mention Maul, a shell that the community could add to, with solid movement, classic gametypes, and a handful of solid stock maps may be all we need. And if it's all done in UE4, with the community's support and maybe even a mention or two from Epic themselves, this would be a dream come true!

Comment

I applied to help!!!!!

crosses fingers!

Comment

Take my money!!!!!

Comment

I like this idea and i certainly could do some maps for it depending on how it flows (i hate ut2K4 floatiness for example).
          One thing that bugs me : "do not use the Unreal Tournament name or any trademarked or copyright protected content"
          Does it mean no UT weapon, even with another art and name ? Because weapon are what makes UT as i see it. A "UT" couldn't be without Shock, Flak, etc.

Comment

I love the idea, so much talented map makers and programmers i've seen on this forum! And best of all, everyone is welcome to help.
            I just hope epic will support this idea, a cool name would be something like: Unreal Evolution! ^^

Comment

Would it be ok to make a Flak Cannon and call it Flake Cannon (poor example) that basically does the exact same thing, looks same-ish but different?
              Kinda like HoN Valkyrie vs DOTA2 Mirana

On another note make a Spiritual successor without modding/mutators would be like making Skyrim mod-less.

Another note, how on earth are people gonna make a successor when no one could of agree on what direction it should take...
              The whole success of the level design would be depend on the movement set or sets chosen.

Comment

I love the unreal series in all its forms, I am guessing it will be similar and perhaps different at the same time. I would love to model some weapons, I already have a few ideas in creating similar weapons. It is true it will be very hard to create the more special weapons that are famously "unreal", but some like rocket launchers, well every multiplayer game I play has some form of rocket launcher so those will be easy

I don't know where this will go, but I really love fast paced no health regen fps combat that is not set in AK-47 or M4A1 land with the army pew pews. Give me cool future weapons anyday please! That is what I hope to contribute!

As for maps yes, it will heavily depend on how the player moves, that will be a factor indeed! excited to see what unfolds!

Comment

I tried some approaches to get things discussed. But in the end, the project page (on SF) is already opened before anything is planned. Even the name.
                  Yes, i'm on the team. Not really satisfied of the basic workflow, concept and direction... however ... i try to contribute.

Such project already started by me back in the days in 2010 with a pre release on 2011. I asked Flak for the permission of a collaborative community project with the assets of UT3 in 2012. Just like a Port from UT3 to UDK. It got denied *sadface*. I kept working on that project afterwards in private. It will never going to be publicly available. Don't ask for. It's against the EULA.

As that project is probably never going to be published, i just share some preview screenshots which I provided to Flak in my PM. Also a video.
                  http://stombo.square7.ch/public/imag...hp?path=./003/

Here's a video of the weapons.
                  www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA4gbEJB-bc

Comment

eff yeah I have to agree with the business guys at TenC…I mean Epic: UT3 debugged with all weapons and maps re-rendered in a modern engine, who would want that

other than everybody

Comment

The Epic army of clone attorneys certainly wouldn't like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
                        The Epic army of clone attorneys certainly wouldn't like that.
                        While the rest of the world won't care. People still hang onto Titanfall, CStrike players will not see past their tunnel vision, CoD players will still be saving up for the next CoD(lost count at which number were suppose to be at), and LoL and DOTA2 would continue dominating the world by reminding everyone how many players they have and by throwing millions at tournaments..

Youtubers will still be looking for the next "look at me, this is funny" game, and people will still be complaining about Dark Souls 2 lighting and graphics, but still call it the best game ever created. And the media will still go on about what someone said on Twitter.

Comment

whether or not this becomes something big or not,

I for one refuse to fall into the C.O.D. battlefield road to vietnam 3 games, I don't hate those types of games, it just seems like the same old stuff over and over. Of course the same could be said about the Unreal series I guess. I really want a game that has a good pace, original weapons, all the gametypes that made unreal great! The idea of evasive maneuvers is a neat idea in a fast paced environment, especially if it is something easy for the player to do. Having a huge arsenal is also a good thing, unlike the whole loadout system which limits people to a certain amount of weapons. Don't get me started on the whole regenerating health thing ugh, its like hand holding mechanics at its worst HAHA!

I know the market is small, and most likely either its a hit or miss in that aspect. But I think if it felt fast enough, and easy enough to jump into, it might just become something great! That is my thoughts on it. Of course the weapons would have to be different than UT weapons, but as long as its not using real world weapons, I think that will be a key factor, as well as having a variety of playable characters, that also would be a good thing!

I know I am rambling, I am excited about making some sort of competitive shooter in a futuristic type setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bah_Mee View Post
                            whether or not this becomes something big or not,

I for one refuse to fall into the C.O.D. battlefield road to vietnam 3 games, I don't hate those types of games, it just seems like the same old stuff over and over. Of course the same could be said about the Unreal series I guess. I really want a game that has a good pace, original weapons, all the gametypes that made unreal great! The idea of evasive maneuvers is a neat idea in a fast paced environment, especially if it is something easy for the player to do. Having a huge arsenal is also a good thing, unlike the whole loadout system which limits people to a certain amount of weapons. Don't get me started on the whole regenerating health thing ugh, its like hand holding mechanics at its worst HAHA!

I know the market is small, and most likely either its a hit or miss in that aspect. But I think if it felt fast enough, and easy enough to jump into, it might just become something great! That is my thoughts on it. Of course the weapons would have to be different than UT weapons, but as long as its not using real world weapons, I think that will be a key factor, as well as having a variety of playable characters, that also would be a good thing!

I know I am rambling, I am excited about making some sort of competitive shooter in a futuristic type setting.
                            Competitive equals nothing but money. Anything can be competitive if you throw money and prices at it.
                            Btw who here have actually player Titanfall, Loaded or Strike Vector?

Comment

I'll be the referee!

Comment

Working...
                              X