Gamespy Servers Shutting Down - Epic moving all UT servers in-house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dazednconfused View Post
    So what you are saying is people will have to read this forum in order to play this game online? UT3 is not safe IMHO if that is the case. Lots of people who play never read these forums, new players will never pickup the game now and some existing ones might be left confused.

This game was on life support this just might be the end.
    I was thinking the same thing. I hate to be always negative but this indeed, is true.

If you have to require a few steps to play a game, especially by going on the main forums and looking up how to do it, that will instantly reduce the game's population to about zero. Most players in UT3 are pretty casual. Most of them don't know ANYTHING about the forums, or even about the console by pressing F10. I personally know players in North America, who quite honestly, are pretty retarded in following directions, so they will never end up playing UT3 online again.

Now my other concern, what if Flak is like;

"It's simple! Download a third party server browser software such as gametracker, find out your server's IP address, open up console, type in "connect 'IP'", then we are REALLY doomed.

I'm pretty interested to see what is going to happen, though. Hopefully this game gets a happy ending from Epic Games, and not a lousy one.

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
      OnlineSubsystem replacement on the go. I think. Better late then never.
      Or perhaps they're setting up a GameSpy master server emulator in their office

Comment

Here's a little song dat I wrote,
        Everyone sing it note for note!

Don't worry! Frag Happy!

When things are lookin bad and low,
        act like a clown, like Mr. Crow!

and don't worry! Frag Happy!

If it seems that ut3 is dead,
        sing this little song in your head!

Don't worry! Frag happy!

HAHA!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobby-McFraggin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	3250745
        Bah_Mee

Comment

We are all going to have to spam twitter and FB etc.

Ironically us old farts still playing old U1 games, are already well covered
          We have been planning for this day, and have been using our own masterservers.
          Building a better replacement has been the mission of Darkelarious, at the 333networks site.
          Work has been done to encompass more games, so you will even be able to keep playing Deus Ex and Thievery, for years to come.

Darkelarious is a "U" fan and is happy to support as many unreal engines and games as he can.
          He will continue need useful technical input and bug testing in the future from all of us, as this is staying non-commercial.
          He will not be able to pay a team, but intends to keep this a developing community project.
          Don't shout at him when things may break, as if it is broken for us, it is broken for him.
          The source code is available for inspection should anyone have questions or want to help.

http://333networks.com -- http://www.source-clan.tk -- irc.synirc.net #333networks
          http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/3...forum-f87.html

Comment

Originally posted by NovaZzZ View Post
            "It's simple! Download a third party server browser software such as gametracker, find out your server's IP address, open up console, type in "connect 'IP'", then we are REALLY doomed.
            Oh god. I can see the confused look on players' faces now. And even if they understand what to do, the mere increase in difficulty to connect to servers may turn them off from playing altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Bah_Mee View Post
              Here's a little song dat I wrote,
              Everyone sing it note for note!

Don't worry! Frag Happy!

When things are lookin bad and low,
              act like a clown, like Mr. Crow!

and don't worry! Frag Happy!

If it seems that ut3 is dead,
              sing this little song in your head!

Don't worry! Frag happy!

HAHA!
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]15555[/ATTACH]
              Bah_Mee
              Haha, i was waiting a song of yours after the petition one, such bard

Comment

Anyone who has been playing this game for the 7+ years it has been out is tech savy enough to edit an ini file to fix the master server the game connects too. I'm sure Flak will post this is the relevant places to alert people that they have to make a change. We may lose some Greed players in the process though.

Comment

Originally posted by NovaZzZ View Post
                  I was thinking the same thing. I hate to be always negative but this indeed, is true.

If you have to require a few steps to play a game, especially by going on the main forums and looking up how to do it, that will instantly reduce the game's population to about zero. Most players in UT3 are pretty casual. Most of them don't know ANYTHING about the forums, or even about the console by pressing F10. I personally know players in North America, who quite honestly, are pretty retarded in following directions, so they will never end up playing UT3 online again.

Now my other concern, what if Flak is like;

I'm pretty interested to see what is going to happen, though. Hopefully this game gets a happy ending from Epic Games, and not a lousy one.
                  The Doom(mainly Zandronum) Community somonehow manages to do it, it has quite a lot of players.

Comment

There will be no need to manually connect to servers. Once the servers have been patched you will need to patch your executable and the game will launch as if it always has. Create your username, log on and play. Nothing will look any different or need to be done any differently once you have patched with the exception of re-adding your favorite servers. The new master server will be at Epic's headquarters in N.C. rather than through gamespy and the patch will direct it to that one for your log in information. Yes I have tested this and yes I asked permission to post this reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbaxm2 View Post
                      There will be no need to manually connect to servers. Once the servers have been patched you will need to patch your executable and the game will launch as if it always has. Create your username, log on and play. Nothing will look any different or need to be done any differently once you have patched with the exception of re-adding your favorite servers. The new master server will be at Epic's headquarters in N.C. rather than through gamespy and the patch will direct it to that one for your log in information. Yes I have tested this and yes I asked permission to post this reply.
                      Ant what about the other UT's? and Quake 2/3?

Comment

Bubbas THE MAN! Thank you for the info! I would assume it would be a patch since that would be an easy implement!

Comment

Bah, not sure about how it will be rolled out to the masses but in it's current form it's just a matter of dragging and dropping your .exe file into a batch file, patching it and dragging it back. Not to complicated at all.

Dylstew, to the best of my knowledge the other UT's do not use gamespy and Quake is not one of Epic's games even if it does use it.

Comment

Bah, not sure about how it will be rolled out to the masses but in it's current form it's just a matter of dragging and dropping your .exe file into a batch file, patching it and dragging it back. Not to complicated at all.

Dylstew, to the best of my knowledge the other UT's do not use gamespy and Quake is not one of Epic's games even if it does use it.
                            I know they're not Epic games, I'm just wondering if they'll survive aswell, but thanks for the info that UT will make it ^.^.

Comment

Quake has been using other master servers for a while now. Likewise for UT99 and 2k4

Comment

Originally posted by Bah_Mee View Post
                                Bubbas THE MAN! Thank you for the info! I would assume it would be a patch since that would be an easy implement!
                                Probably a small patch that can be rolled out via Steam and an executable for non-Steam users. That would make the most sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X