Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT3 Still Lives as the Ultimate LAN Game (pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT3 Still Lives as the Ultimate LAN Game (pics)

(this is a copypasta from the BuF thread I opened)

Update 05-Apr-14: Wrote a Kinja article on what it took to build this. Also, some pictures from what we dubbed the "EPIC WARFARE NIGHT", where we pitted 30 players against each other in Warfare:

Update 27-Feb-14: After so, so many sleepless nights at work and over 90 hours of planning and tweaking, I've finally inaugurated the new gamers club I was referring to below. We have 30 licenses for UT3 and 18 for UT2004 and UT (and a couple of licenses for some other games), and I've launched a dedicated server for all three on the master server residing in the room. Here are some more pics, you might want to take a look.

Hi guys,

It's been quite some time since I last posted here.
    Anyway, just wanted my 2c on the walls of the glorious BuF (or the Epic forums for that matter ):

UT3 is awesome. And this is coming from a guy who started with UT back in 2002.

So, anyway, let me tell you about a gamers club I've established at my workplace, and you can guess what the primary game is: UT3 of course!

We got a budget to arm an office with 12 PCs with GPUs and headsets, and we set up a Linux server running Murmur (voice chat), UT3-server, and a script which samples the WebAdmin UI for the remaining time connected to a projector. We even put red/blue LEDs on the walls to help newbie employees know which team they belong in!

The server is patched to the latest version and has the following stuff installed:

* All the CBP maps and some classic remakes too
    * Gibalicious
    * Nyancat Redeemer
    * UTcompIII
    * WebAdmin
    * Bombing Run
    * Double Domination
    * foxMod AI improvements
    * Titan (we don't enable it that often anymore)

The club's been running strong for nearly a year now! We even have plans to move to a room with 30 stations!

So, without further ado, here are some pics:

P.S. I think that if they should ever consider UT4, they should just re-release UT3 2.1 with more UI functionality and with the major bugs and limitations resolved (demoguy, hit detection, voice chat, etc.).

Awesome dude!!

Comment

In the name of the... ah, whatever, I'll just make it short:
      EFF, YEAH!

You rock!

Comment

1. EFF YOU
        2. Please hire me

Originally posted by DDRRE View Post
        P.S. I think that if they should ever consider UT4, they should just re-release UT3 2.1 with more UI functionality and with the major bugs and limitations resolved (demoguy, hit detection, voice chat, etc.).
        best UT4 suggestion to date IMHO

Comment

There were certain things that always bothered me in UT3 - and they still do even today:
          Desaturation per default, that game definitely needs colours - the colours you can get in UDK - the desaturation of the old stock UT3 maps can still be added within the world properties' post process settings. The Skaarj were missing and a bit variety of themes in maps was missing too. Variety wasn't really present in this part of the UT series, due to the story in UT3. There was just the classic asian theme, city theme, Necris theme, a bit of industrial and some space. An Unreal game without palms and lava... still seems like an unresolvable riddle to me. Luckily it has the editor and there are many modders and mappers out there.
          I wouldn't mind an update of the jump and dodge-feeling either. It feels quite heavy, as if your pawn was a bag of bricks that slides off the smallest slope (and it seems to be the reason why you get stuck or your movement blocked so often in detailled environments and on terrain). Well, that's unless DDRRE counts that in to the limitations.

I'd probably buy a rerelease with the things I mentioned above, especially if they would "finish" the story of UT3 (yes, yes, I know - but it exists and might need a proper ending) and add a Tournament mode. Considering how much fun I had online after I got used to the bugs of UT3, it would be definitely worth it in the end.
          Killing a Manta with your Goliath, while it is orbiting you close to some walls, by moving backwards all of the sudden and pinning it to the corner behind you and finally shooting it. That is so satisfying. How I enjoyed that moment, just priceless! That's the kind of fun I mean.

But well, it could be a long wait until a new UT (whether rerelease or just a new UT game at all).

PS: DDRRE, did I mention you rock?

Comment

Holy Moly, amigo! That is ****ing awesome! Hell yeah, that's how you do it and that's how I wanna see it! Have fun at playing Unreal games and keep Unreal alive. Unreal forever!!!

Comment

Incredible!

Comment

Awesome pics! Nice to know there's still people out there...

Comment

You do realize that theirs a mod that changes the UI to a much better platform for PC's right? It's called MapMixer. Also, where is this LAN located? I would be interested to come if its close by.

Comment

good post, would love to see more pics though, perhaps some bit closer to the action too!

Comment

That is ****ing iNsAnE!! Good to know people are out there still enjoying UT3 as much as I do.

By the way, the "demo guy" bug was pretty much solved by checking the "always load custom characters" box in the Settings menu.

Comment

Update 27-Feb-14: After so, so many sleepless nights at work and over 90 hours of planning and tweaking, I've finally inaugurated the new gamers club I was referring to below. We have 30 licenses for UT3 and 18 for UT2004 and UT (and a couple of licenses for some other games), and I've launched a dedicated server for all three on the master server residing in the room.

See the pics in the original post above.

Comment

Man amigo! That looks badass as hell and I'm really glad to see, that people still have that fun in the Unreal franchise! Unreal forever, that's what I'm talking about! I personally still prefer Unreal more than these 'modern fashion shooter', because the Unreal franchise got heart and soul and I'm still in love with it!

Nevertheless, keep up that good work and have fun guys!

Comment

Give that guy at least 10 internet for being awesome !

Comment

Originally posted by DDRRE View Post
                              Update 27-Feb-14: After so, so many sleepless nights at work and over 90 hours of planning and tweaking, I've finally inaugurated the new gamers club I was referring to below. We have 30 licenses for UT3 and 18 for UT2004 and UT (and a couple of licenses for some other games), and I've launched a dedicated server for all three on the master server residing in the room.

See the pics in the original post above.
                              Wow, congrats! That's livin' the dream right there.

Comment

Working...
                              X