The best mouse surface for aiming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best mouse surface for aiming...

The longer people do any kind of activity the more skilled they become at it. My aim has gradually gotten better over the last 5-6 years, but I think it took a small leap this year when I upgraded a few things (cloth mouse pad, high dpi mouse, larger monitor, better gfx card = higher fps). But I think the mouse pad is mostly responsible. I use to use a piece of cardboard. I'm curious as to what you guys think the best mouse surface is.

My aim is much more fluid than it use to be (aimbot to some), which I attribute to the cloth. On the weekends (when I actually sleep), I can hit some crazy stuff every now and then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PuGXZ08RCs

I haven't used a soft mouse pad in a few years. I bought the Razer Destructor and haven't looked back. It has done me well thru both my Razer Mamba and now my Logitech G9X and am pretty sure it will still be more than usable for the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbaxm2 View Post
      I haven't used a soft mouse pad in a few years. I bought the Razer Destructor and haven't looked back. It has done me well thru both my Razer Mamba and now my Logitech G9X and am pretty sure it will still be more than usable for the next few years.
      Interesting. My friends got this Razer "exactMat" that he uses (doesn't game with it though). It's a hard surface. I tried it one day and it was waayyy too slick for me. I had to lower my sensitivity dramatically to have any kind of control.

Comment

Smooth side of the X-Raypad Thunder 8 I bought back in the UT2k4 days. (w/ the venerable Logitech G5)

I'm not good enough or knowledgeable enough to say it's the best, but it's what I like. So there.

Comment

I bought this about 12-14 years ago... http://www.func.net/en/products/sUrface-1030-Original/

Still using it today!

Comment

That looks similar to mine. http://xraypad.com/emeraldpad.html

With this one the hard plastic insert is the pad. You can flip it over with one side sorta rough/grainy and the other smooth.

Comment

I don't use any type of mousepad.... or any other similar variant thereof

Just the hard surface of the desk where I play. Works enough for me

Comment

plastic/wooden/cloth/rubber surfaces are all bad, instead you should have the mouse on a big shiny mirror, this sends the laser beam back to the mouse's sensor faster and reduces input lag

Comment

Originally posted by Veggie_D View Post
                  plastic/wooden/cloth/rubber surfaces are all bad, instead you should have the mouse on a big shiny mirror, this sends the laser beam back to the mouse's sensor faster and reduces input lag
                  lol i like that.

Comment

Originally posted by slik_sh00ter View Post
                    I don't use any type of mousepad.... or any other similar variant thereof

Just the hard surface of the desk where I play. Works enough for me
                    I actually did that for a couple years and it seemed to work fine. Then I moved and had to get rid of the desk :/.

Comment

I did that for a couple years too, and all those thousands of hours of pewpew and mouse friction had buffed that desk to a high mirror shine, which eventually caused my aim to start randomly jumping around for no apparent reason. (Oh right yes I was lying about using a big mirror, that's a terrible idea.)

Anyway laying a pad/mat over a desk is a very good idea, doesn't matter what material, **** near anything you and your common sense can find at a hardware store can be rigged up into something that's as good or better than any Razer-lazer-destructor wallet-reductor IMO — so long as it's solid, opaque and coarse enough to give good resistance against the weight of your mouse, without impeding your twitchies.

Comment

I have this one and can't really complain.
                        However, it (probably) also depends on the mouse (I have a Logitech G9 - an old one, yes) and I'm more a mid-sense player.

Lol I remember the times where I simply used an A4 sheet which was tapped/glued on the desk

Cheers!

Comment

Nightmare, you reminded me of another tape-trick: A tiny crossair made of white paper with black painted borders taped on an old CRT-screen, lol. That way you always saw your crossair in UT99 (there it often got "lost" on bright surfaces in maps. Yes, people did that kind of stuff).

I got that one (steelseries). I have a rather cheap (laptop) mouse (but a very loyal one, serving me since a loooong time now) and it reacts quite sensitive on other surfaces than pitch-black. I can't complain about hard movement of the cursor, twitching or stuff alike since I have that mousepad. Very comfortable and quite stable. I usually play with high sensitivity, just in case anyone wonders.

Comment

The mouse pad you buy really depends on the mouse you are using and also what you are comfortable with friction-wise. There are a ton of mouse pads that are practically the same performance so making this recommendation is really a very subjective thing.

What I can say is that I bought the Artisan ZERO-XS-BK-L ZERO Black XSOFT L mouse pad and it seems to perform really well with my Zowie FK mouse. I tend to support Artisan more as a company because the mouse pads they create are all of extremely high quality made in Japan. I could honestly suggest trying one of their pads out and they offer a wide array of choices depending on the surface and size you prefer.

Comment

My aim comes and goes. One thing thought that did help me improve was changing my mouse. I dropped the old RAT 7 in favor for a less expensive Sidewinder X3. I still use the same mouse pad.. some Steel series smooth cloth thing. It's big. I don't favor 1080p It just brings in the depth too close for me. I get dizzy from it.

Comment

Working...
                              X