Lag compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    Ive explained it so many times now, rewind time is not accurate to what is physically happening in the game world in the slightest, its nothing but an approximation and one that favours the person with higher ping. The most accurate version of what is happening is without any sort of compensation for the latency once all clients report in to the server.

I just played some TF2 just to get a feel and you know what even with lag compensation my sniper rifle still had to lead quite a fair bit at 80 ping infact I would say to the point lag compensation is negligible. Im still getting shot from behind walls because my ping is higher which is fair but it was all lower ping people and honestly Im only barely competitive enough (combination of skill and lag) at those pings. I dont see the point in compensation for the inevitable, if youre playing for fun then abit of lag shouldnt bother you.
    I don't know why you're having these issues, I sure as hell don't have to lead the slightest, even with pings of up to 300ms, no leading. Of course at that point you start getting other issues like rubberbanding which makes the game quite unplayable, but the hit detection still works just fine. And it most certainly does not favor the player with higher ping.

Here's an example clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNUqgc0420w
    It's me shooting a guy in Tribes Ascend just as I hit a lag spike. I am dead on target, no leading what so ever, I still hit, though it does register very late.

Comment

Originally posted by Litego View Post
      How is that anywhere near a hit, that **** borders on aimbotting!

[shot]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a123/OlympusMons/Footshot_zps6ca6bee3.jpg~original[/shot]

Comment

Wow, are you serious right now? I'm guessing since I don't have to lead then I'm basically aimbotting, cause that **** is clearly a hit.

Since your image was a blurry mess I took the liberty of going frame by frame through the source footage, which to be fair is not high quality, but it is slightly better.
        [shot]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6816/n5om.jpg[/shot]
        2 images taken in sequence from a 30 FPS video, one right before the shot when I appear to be aiming slightly ahead of the player, and the one after where I am trailing slightly behind (Though they're both probably still inside a hitbox considering there are body parts inside the crosshair on both. Right knee on the first one and left foot on the second). Now play that **** at 120 FPS and you'll see the shot was fired exactly on target. Are you complaining because I hit the legs and not the chest/head or something? Or are you complaining because I didn't track that target so that the single frame you picked didn't line up perfectly center mass (as if you need to hit center mass to do damage).

Now please stop making **** up. I understand that you don't like lag compensation, and that's ok, I'm fine with it, it has its pros and cons. However when you claim **** like lag compensation giving laggers an advantage, that it's basically aimbotting and at the same time claim it barely works. That's just taking a **** at **** you clearly don't know enough about, which to be fair I wouldn't either if I had 20ms ping and no problems in any games, but I don't.

And btw, I have played games without lag compensation pretty successfully, I was for example ranked top 10 sniper for a while in Global Agenda back when people actually played it (Sure it was never a big game, but whatever), so I can play without it if I put my mind to it. However I just don't feel like doing that again, always playing at a huge disadvantage in the end killed it for me. And now I choose to only play games with lag compensation, it's too much of a pain without it.

Comment

Got back from the future again.

Unreal Engine 5 is out … no it does not have built-in lag compensation … Epic has
          sold the Unreal Tournament IP to a Chinese rubber chicken company … and this
          silly slapfight thread is still going around and
          puɐ punoɹɐ

Comment

Originally posted by Litego View Post
            Wow, are you serious right now? I'm guessing since I don't have to lead then I'm basically aimbotting, cause that **** is clearly a hit.
            Actually yes, Ive said that from the get go. Leading is a skill, it is inherent in all weapons as there is no such thing as instant hit. Kthx Im done with this.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
              Actually yes, Ive said that from the get go. Leading is a skill...
              And I've agreed with that from the beginning...

Comment

There are always side effect for each compensation methods. No every party will ever be pleased. So sticking to the physical problem (which is in every hand of any user) is the way to go ... as you only have to deal with your ping.
                I play generally with 60-80 but I can even play fine with 180 (which I do very often). I never saw any problem with the current implemenation ... and never complained.

Comment

Working...
                X