Lag compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lag compensation

Is there some kind of mod/mutator for UT3 which improves the netcode by implementing some kind of lag compensation like time rewind/unlagged? And if so, do people use it and where can I find it? And also, do we know if Unreal Engine 4 will have lag compensation by default?

Originally posted by Litego View Post
    Is there some kind of mod/mutator for UT3 which improves the netcode by implementing some kind of lag compensation like time rewind/unlagged? And if so, do people use it and where can I find it? And also, do we know if Unreal Engine 4 will have lag compensation by default?
    no and no and no

Comment

One thing that is easily confused is the difference between micro-stutter and lag. Well it has confused me anyways. If you set your desktop buffer or in Nvidia's case prerendered frames between 1 & 4 this will smooth out the some of the "lagging" sensation. I'm not saying this will cure it but it will make things smoother. The draw-back is that it raises your processor use and you are introducing a buffer into the equation making this appear less accurate.

Comment

isn't there some sort of ping compensation stuff out there, maybe part of utcomp?

Comment

Originally posted by UTPlayer529th View Post
          One thing that is easily confused is the difference between micro-stutter and lag. Well it has confused me anyways. If you set your desktop buffer or in Nvidia's case prerendered frames between 1 & 4 this will smooth out the some of the "lagging" sensation. I'm not saying this will cure it but it will make things smoother. The draw-back is that it raises your processor use and you are introducing a buffer into the equation making this appear less accurate.
          You misunderstand me. I am not talking about low or spikes in frame rate, I am talking about network lag, as in how the game deals with latency/ping. I know that Unreal Engine 3 and Unreal Tournament 3 by default does not try to compensate for network latency and basically just leave you to compensate for that yourself. This means that as your latency increases you'll have to lead more with your weapons to actually hit your target because on the server, the enemy has moved further than he has on your client. Most modern games compensate this for you so you don't have to lead, this game does not. And I'm wondering if someone has made a mod which solves this problem. I play games with around 100ms ping, which pretty much makes UT3 unplayable for me. I remember I used to love playing UT99/04 on LAN parties back in the days and would love to try it out again, but if there is no lag compensation it is just not a viable option for me.

Originally posted by geronaho View Post
          no and no and no
          That is sad to hear. Is there perhaps a mod like that for UT99/04?

Comment

Some people made NewNet for UT99, though it is pretty newbly.
            http://www.globalunreal.com/forums/v...hp?f=44&t=1025

Comment

There's ping compensation on utcomp, but it's terrible. You're better off leading your shots.

Comment

Unplayable with 100 ping? I think you just need to play more lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbaxm2 View Post
                  I've capped flags with a ping near 200 so I concur with this maybe ^

Comment

UT3 actually tears off alot of network stuff and has more server side compensation than previous UT games. It doesnt have client side ping compensation though but it does have a few tweaks to improve network latency by making some stuff that previously wasnt, client side. Clientside compensation is something heavily debated especially in games with dedicated servers, it doesnt always work correctly or fairly for people with lower pings, there has been instances where people have simulated lag to gain an advantage over other players.

Comment

Originally posted by Legionz View Post
                      There's ping compensation on utcomp, but it's terrible. You're better off leading your shots.
                      There is utcomp for UT3 or just the older ones? And do people use it?

Originally posted by Bubbaxm2 View Post
                      Not interested in learning to play with a disability, I'd rather just not play at all. Sure I could get used to it, but if that's the solution I'm just not going to bother and pass instead. Too bad cause I used to love UT, would be awesome to get back into it.

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                      UT3 actually tears off alot of network stuff and has more server side compensation than previous UT games. It doesnt have client side ping compensation though but it does have a few tweaks to improve network latency by making some stuff that previously wasnt, client side. Clientside compensation is something heavily debated especially in games with dedicated servers, it doesnt always work correctly or fairly for people with lower pings, there has been instances where people have simulated lag to gain an advantage over other players.
                      I'm aware of the problems it can cause, and I'll take those problems over no lag compensation any day. But that's just me, I know many people still swear by the old ways.

Comment

I'm aware of the problems it can cause, and I'll take those problems over no lag compensation any day. But that's just me, I know many people still swear by the old ways.
                        lol I think you'll find you have it backwards, lag compensation is the old ways, the world is fast moving forward with high speed internet. 100 ping for me is from one side of Australia to the other, ofcoarse I prefer to play with pings under 50 so I stick to local servers. Going forward I think we'll see some of the routing bottlenecks start to ease as infrastructures are stress tested more and more.

You could always run listen servers, then you dont have any ping really and you can run UTComp. Though Id be careful with third party additions, I know theres a major exploit in UTComp for ut2004. Honestly if youre serious enough about your skill level to be wanting ping compensation you should be taking cheating alot more seriously because its one of those common overlooked things, especially for a game like UT3 were theres no punkbuster or VAC.

Best advice I can give, take it to a lan party if you really want a low latency game of skill.

Comment

There is utcomp for UT3 or just the older ones? And do people use it?
                          For UT three? There is, yes.
                          To any one's liking? No.
                          Zero ping is a big mess.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                            lol I think you'll find you have it backwards, lag compensation is the old ways, the world is fast moving forward with high speed internet. 100 ping for me is from one side of Australia to the other, ofcoarse I prefer to play with pings under 50 so I stick to local servers. Going forward I think we'll see some of the routing bottlenecks start to ease as infrastructures are stress tested more and more.
                            High speed internet doesn't really help much when you're limited by the speed of light. Where I live it wouldn't help if I had the best internet in the world, I'd still get **** ping. And I don't really see lag compensation being old when all the new games come out with it, probably because it makes the game experience better for the majority.

You could always run listen servers, then you dont have any ping really and you can run UTComp. Though Id be careful with third party additions, I know theres a major exploit in UTComp for ut2004. Honestly if youre serious enough about your skill level to be wanting ping compensation you should be taking cheating alot more seriously because its one of those common overlooked things, especially for a game like UT3 were theres no punkbuster or VAC.
                            I don't find cheating as such a big issue as most people. When it's blatant I just switch server, problem solved. When it's not blatant I don't know so I don't care. Of course if a game is infested with cheaters, that's a different story.

Comment

High speed internet doesn't really help much when you're limited by the speed of light. Where I live it wouldn't help if I had the best internet in the world, I'd still get **** ping. And I don't really see lag compensation being old when all the new games come out with it, probably because it makes the game experience better for the majority.
                              I think you'll find that most of the loss in speed is routing not line speed, its a through put issue about the breadth of the pipes not how fast they are, much like how the clock speed problem is currently being solved by throwing cores at it. Im not entirely sure to which modern games you refer but they must be first person action games. Im just left wondering how bad leading must be at 100 ping in UT3, if its dramatically worse than TF2 or BF3.

Theres not alot else I can say that hasnt been suggested, you dont have alot of options unless you would pay someone to write better lag compensation, it wont completely eliminate it though or make 100 feel like under 50 but it can be done and done well.

Comment

Working...
                              X