Deemer problem with ut3 fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deemer problem with ut3 fix?

was playing on epic war 3 with the ut3 fix. Picked up deemer, tried to use it, and noticed it wasn't in inventory and couldn't be used.

I was completely unable to use the deemer for quite a while. I could pick it up just fine: It would spawn, I'd pick it up, and it would be gone from the spawn spot. But it wouldn't be in my inventory, and I wouldn' be able to use it.

I'm familiar with the old deemer bug where it appears at the spawn spot the entire match, even when it's not actually there. This is different.

From the chat that ensued, I gathered this was supposed to be some kind of "fix," to "give the deemer it's own slot" or something

Which I suppose is a nice intention, but the actual effect was, I could pick up the deemer, but then it wasn't in inventory, it's icon did not appear at the bottom of the screen along with all the other weapons I was carrying, and I could not equip it.

Later on, by chance, I found that, if was carrying the avril when I picked up deemer, and then if I used up all the avril's ammo, the deemer would then suddenly appear in my inventory, and I could immediately equip and use it.

I cleverly decided to pick up the deemer when I had no avril at all, and found that it never appeared in inventory when I did that, at all. Oh well.

So anyway, thinking about this, my theory is, there must be some key bind set up I have to use, to get this fix to work the way it's supposed to. Is that what's going on?

Avril and deemer use same slot it could be that you need to scroll when you have avril and then you then have the deemer.

Comment

Neither scroll nor keyboard would switch to deemer. I had to fire all my avrils before the deemer showed up in my weapons list. This is a bug with UT3 Fixes.

Comment

Least I'm glad I read this

Comment

I had the very same issue last night.

Comment

The redeemer wouldn't show up in the weapons list simply because there's only 10 spots in that list. Bubble made the redeemer weapon #11 (I guess this means it won't have a bind?).

If you switch to the Avril, can't you then use "Next Weapon" to switch to the redeemer? That's how I was able to use it last night.

Anyway, I warned Bubble this was a bad idea even before the latest UT3 fixes were released. What Bubble was trying to fix was, if you're holding both the redeemer and the avril, if you then hit your avril/redeemer bind, ut3 will always switch to the redeemer first (regardless of what you have set up in the in-game "weapon priorities" menu). I agree with his intention - if I'm holding a redeemer but a Manta is about to pancake me, I want to be able to immediately whip out the avril and blow the manta away.

This change, however, completely ruins his goal of this being merely an "invisible" bugfix mutator, since we all now have to learn a different way of switching to the redeemer. He should never assume that players on the server have visited these forums or know about the mutator.

Comment

On the other not-quite-serious hand: is the game really that worse off if a few Redeemers go missing?

When my rocking chair creaks just right I'm able to remember a time when it was de facto standard to play Nodes and Cores with a "No SuperWeapons" mutator.

btw get off my lawn

Comment

Originally posted by Cybis View Post
                If you switch to the Avril, can't you then use "Next Weapon" to switch to the redeemer? That's how I was able to use it last night. .
                oh ok there you go, never thought of that

yes it's true none of this should be taken too seriously

Comment

All the more reason to use sniper. boom headshot

Comment

Originally posted by Veggie_D View Post
                    On the other not-quite-serious hand: is the game really that worse off if a few Redeemers go missing?
                    The avril is always a must have weapon on vehicle maps. When you have the redeemer, you typically only have a very limited time to use it. The redeemer is sometimes the only way to get back prime or to stop a count down node on certain maps. For how often the deemer spawns, the new bug is much worse than the old one. Double tapping the avril key is much faster than scrolling through weapons to switch to the deemer. This change fixed a minor bug and created a moderate one. It also screws up my pipe swiching key binds.

Comment

Ideal IMO would be to simply reverse the priority: tap once for Avril, twice for Redeemer.

Avril play requires quick draw-and-fire frequently; Redeemer slow-draws and is scarce. Avril stands to benefit the most from always being "first".

The "not-quite-serious" subtext was that, in general, the Redeemer is overrated, and over-camped, relative to its actual value. IMO many players fall into predictable — and exploitable — patterns of play due to Redeemer-chasing. A single good, focused player applying smart, effective pressure, sans Redeemer, is a more powerful asset to his team than one who merely lands a Redeemer strike after schlepping 15-30 seconds out of the way for the chance to pick it up and use it.

I will agree that there does at least exist the one exception of needing a Redeemer to clear a Tank embedded in Prime on Downtown. However, this is more an artifact of the "impotent barricades" (and bollards) design flaw than anything. Irrespective of Redeemers, a fix of Downtown where vehicles actually cannot crawl over barricades or get up to that dock level would be a much better flowing map.

Comment

That all said, Is there a way to Bind the Deemer back to sharing the Avril slot in the INI?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Move View Post
                          That all said, Is there a way to Bind the Deemer back to sharing the Avril slot in the INI?
                          The latest beta is supposed to fix this (ie removes the fix).

btw, Rattlesnake posted a great idea in the bugfix mutator thread that fixes the Redeemer priority without a mutator:
                          Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                          ...Selecting your hammer and scroll to your previous weapon, this will pick the Avril (with default weapon priority). I pick the Avril since Day1 like this.

If you want to have a direct access key:
                          Bindings=(Name="X",Command="SwitchWeapon 1 | PrevWeapon")...

Comment

Latest version is up on 3.

Comment

Seems to be working so far, though for some reason UT3.exe keeps dieing now

Comment

Working...
                              X