Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

If gamespy gets shutdown what does this mean for UT3?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If gamespy gets shutdown what does this mean for UT3?

So for those who didn't know IGN (including gamespy) was bought by Ziff Davis. They have decided that the new role of IGN will be to cover e-sports and gaming only. They are dropping/selling IPL and gamespy.com is going to be shut down. This doesn't necessarily mean they will shut down everything to do with gamespy but due to the very budget conscious approach they are taking it does seem likely.

So if the gamespy servers are completely shut down does this mean UT3 is 100% dead? Or will epic patch the game to allow it to run without gamespy? I'm guessing they won't waste the resources to patch it but it would be a shame to see the game become completely unplayable.

*Edit* Thanks to MoonBlood for pointing out that Glu Mobile acquired Gamespy Tech in August of 2012. One would assume this means UT3 is safe... for now.

Yeah, that would suck if they didn't patch it if gamespy completely closes up shop...

Comment

Well, hopefully Epic learns from that. UT3 using Gamespy was one of the game's biggest mistakes. And sooner or later this was going to happen.

Comment

That's disappointing. Well, if they're going to, might as well go play some UT3 and enjoy it before it's gone forever. Fill those servers one last time!

Comment

If any question ever asked here deserves an official answer its this one.

Comment

We're checking into it.

Comment

From what I understand, back in August 2012 a company called Glu Mobile acquired GameSpy Technologies, which was the server/multiplayer section of GameSpy. So there were two GameSpy's. The one that is getting shut down is just the gaming news/review site that IGN owns. The GameSpy servers/multiplayer stuff that is owned by Glu Mobile should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonBlood View Post
                From what I understand, back in August 2012 a company called Glu Mobile acquired GameSpy Technologies, which was the server/multiplayer section of GameSpy. So there were two GameSpy's. The one that is getting shut down is just the gaming news/review site that IGN owns. The GameSpy servers/multiplayer stuff that is owned by Glu Mobile should be fine.
                Man hopefully you are right about that! If it did go down, I'm assuming we could still connect by direct IP (??) it would just be the browser that goes down?

Comment

Originally posted by M^vL View Post
                  Man hopefully you are right about that! If it did go down, I'm assuming we could still connect by direct IP (??) it would just be the browser that goes down?
                  I think the game would only let you play offline (like when the Gamespy service is unavailable).

Comment

Our UT3 logins Are authenticated by our GameSpy accounts, I had big problems with duplicate login errors a while ago, & had to create a new account. As long as the glu mobile service continues, all should be OK!!!!

Comment

If Gamespy was shut down that would be good for UT4.

Comment

Originally posted by tarnationsauce2 View Post
                        If Gamespy was shut down that would be good for UT4.
                        I agree.

The game should not depend on Gamespy or similar outside services. Today we can still play and enjoy the original UT and UT2004. But UT3 will be dead as soon as Gamespy dies (which is inevitable) similar to Unreal Championship 2 which died together with Xbox Live. Which was a real shame already.

Comment

The following quotes are from the Gamespy Technology website (http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/blog/):

"There have been a number of reports regarding the recent discontinuation of service to several online multiplayer games previously supported by GameSpy Technologies ... However, reports that GameSpy Technologies “shutdown servers without warning” are simply inaccurate."

"GameSpy Technologies – a separate entity from GameSpy.com – is a service provider to game publishers. Each publisher contracting with GameSpy Technologies elects at its sole discretion whether or not to maintain support for its titles."

They don't say anything (at least on this page) specifically about UT3. However, it would appear that UT3 is safe, at least until Epic makes some decision to the contrary.

Having said that, I have always been of the opinion that "the cloud" (even before it was called that, and this is one example of it) is a BAD idea ... in any implementation ... and the concerns expressed in this thread are exactly why I feel that way.

Comment

Tnx Jonah, now we await an official response! (Nice green font BTW =o)

Comment

I wouldn't worry about a company that still runs official servers six years after a game's release not finding a way to patch the game to still let us play if GameSpy gets shut down (which as stated, isn't the case anyway).

Comment

Working...
                              X