Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

The Longevity of Unreal Tournament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Longevity of Unreal Tournament

- For those who don't poke around and find stuff like this .........

The Longevity of Unreal Tournament: Part 1 - CLICK ME!

The Longevity of Unreal Tournament: Part 2 - CLICK ME!

The Longevity of Unreal Tournament: Part 3 - CLICK ME!

<<you don't need a special account to post a comment on these pages>>
    We recently celebrated Unreal Tournament’s 13th anniversary, and I had the chance to interview some of the key people involved in the creation of the game. This was extremely fun for me because as you may know, Unreal Tournament is one of my favorite games of all time. I spent four to six hours a day playing it, for nearly six years straight. I played regularly on Bitkid’s “Fraggalonia Sniper Arena” server and I played with people from all over the world.

The server was in the Netherlands and I played from the west coast of the USA, with a 250-300 ping. It was such a fun experience and had so many awesome people, no one cared what the ping was. High pingers learned how to pop heads just as good, if not better than the locals of Nederland. I’d probably get some heat from that comment.

Enough of my story, let’s get to the guys that helped make the game. I want to thank Steve Polge, Dave Ewing, Jack Porter and Shane Caudle for participating in the interview.
    Is that Flak who played 4-6 hours a day? sounds familiar ........ I remember thinking about the game while I was at work (couldn't wait to get home and play and connect with my friends & clan mates.) Some of the matches we had were the closest thing I've ever experienced to a virtual sport, playing 5 vs 5 TDM or CTF instagib was the absolute funnest time i've ever had with any video game or online activity for that matter.

Can't wait to see the next part.

Comment

Originally posted by 1XTreme View Post

The Longevity of Unreal Tournament: Part One - CLICK ME!

<<you don't need a special account to post a comment on that page>>

Is that Flak who played 4-6 hours a day? sounds familiar ........ I remember thinking about the game while I was at work (couldn't wait to get home and play and connect with my friends & clan mates.) Some of the matches we had were the closest thing I've ever experienced to a virtual sport, playing 5 vs 5 TDM or CTF instagib was the absolute funnest time i've ever had with any video game or online activity for that matter.
      Yes, that was Flak. She once told me she was playing on sniper servers a lot in UT99 and later also in UT2004. Can't wait for part 2 as well!

Comment

I actually remember playing against Flak on a sniper server in UT99. **** I'm old. Sorry Flak!

Comment

Originally posted by 1XTreme View Post

The Longevity of Unreal Tournament: Part One - CLICK ME!

<<you don't need a special account to post a comment on that page>>

I did catch that 1X but thanks for posting it here.

Comment

thanks for the post, of course i posted heh

Comment

If everyone takes the next steps, say byebye to longivaty games!!!

Yep! if Epic follows what sony is thinking of doing:
              http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-pa...ec_newreleases

...You can say byebye to long term games!!!

Comment

Originally posted by M^vL View Post
                I actually remember playing against Flak on a sniper server in UT99. **** I'm old. Sorry Flak!
                Sadly I am too M LOL Nice to see you guys commenting.

So glad you guys liked that! Part two is up, with Lead Level designer Dave Ewing.

http://epicgames.com/community/2013/...ment-part-two/

Comment

Originally posted by M^vL View Post
                  I did catch that 1X but thanks for posting it here.

Originally posted by VACkillers View Post
                  thanks for the post, of course i posted heh
                  You bet guys!! Honestly as much time as I spend on these forums I literally stumbled on it by accident, so there's a good chance there are others who would have otherwise missed it.

Ty Flak!!!

Comment

Flak, can you get CliffyB for one the next parts? Please....

Also, I'm really curious about who came-up with multi-kill announcements and how did that happen.

Comment

Question

the not soo longevaty games:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/gs-news-...00351-cbs.html

Will this stop you from buying Sony's games? or any other game with this option in it!?

Comment

Originally posted by wikkid
                        For anyone who didn't know, Part Three is up.
                        Thx for the heads up wik, dude that is so kewl that the creator of Arcane Temple is still with Epic ....... (I'm amazed no one has remade that map to final, every time someone tries it seems like can't finish it) Any way .... I'll update the OP.

Comment

Arcane Temple had the original Unreal-ish atmosphere, just the layout I didn't like very much. Too symmetric I guess but that could be nice for a CTF.
                          Really enjoy reading interviews like this. Thank you very much, Flak!

Comment

Bet on Lan and offline games!!!

Dear Folks! I dont know if you have notice but ther seem to be less Lan and offline games out, and with the rumers that Xbox720 and PS4 to be online only! there is a large space for Lan and offline games in the market!!...

Lets take another look at this situation from a different perspective! what is not good can be good for the next Unreal game!!!

What I am saying is that if besides online, the next Unreal games come with Lan and offline option, it will most likelly work better for its Longevity!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                              Dear Folks! I dont know if you have notice but ther seem to be less Lan and offline games out, and with the rumers that Xbox720 and PS4 to be online only! there is a large space for Lan and offline games in the market!!...

Lets take another look at this situation from a different perspective! what is not good can be good for the next Unreal game!!!

What I am saying is that if besides online, the next Unreal games come with Lan and offline option, it will most likelly work better for its Longevity!!!
                              +1 ...........

Comment

Working...
                              X