Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Steam Workshop great idea!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam Workshop great idea!

who thinks it would be a great idea if UTIII got Steam Workshop for the simplicity of mods? :P

i would love this last feature...and if it i hope Epic get UT4 underway asap and include this

We'll have to get UT4 on steam greenlight or kickstarter before we can even hope to have compatibility with the workshop.

Comment

Why would you kickstart or greenlight UT4? UT4 is *going to be some day in the future* a tripple A title. It doesn't need kickstarting or greenlighting.
      It needs creating.

In addition, I hope that UT4 does not use:

- Steam
      - Origin
      - GameSpy
      - Any other sort of DRM/login system

Even though I've only played UT3 from 2012, I've experienced enough issues with Steam and GameSpy. Even my s7urm ingame name is lost, because their password reset system just doesn't work. Steam has been hampering my online experience with their problems and the horrid UE3 Steam integration.

Errors like "You are not authorized to play this game on Steam" are common and irritating. It'd go as far as to play a cracked version of the game, because I am "not authorized" to play my original copy. Which is appalling to say the least. And this is not a new error, I don't think Steam or Epic are going to address it ever.

I'd love to support once again Epic (as I've done with Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War 1,2,3) if they continue the tradition of not screwing with players. In 2012, screwing with players includes "Premium" and "Elite" bonuses, paid map packs and any other sort of paid DLC with limited or no mod support.

There are plenty of UT4 wish list topics, but these are things that should save the competitive FPS world and now since every arena shooter has died, along with ID and Valve, only UT4 can save it. But meh.

Steam Workshop for UT3 (since it's already on Steam) is a good idea though.

Comment

i have had 0 issues with UTIII on Steam but almost 1million on the onlive version lol

i wiuld love to see steam workshop

Comment

UT is one of those types of games that, due to superior bot support, can be played offline just as nicely as online.
          With that in mind, let me introduce you to a novel idea: GTFO with your login garbage!
          Why? Because it isn't justified with the low player counts UT is seeing, compared to other games with mandatory logins. Those other games sell nicely enough to get away with excluding the percentage of plyers that doesn't like the login part.

Comment

Just to clear a few things up...
            The greenlight and kickstarter remarks were designed to be a sarcastic joke given the time lapse between the previous UT game and now. Apparently that brand of satire is lost on some, or maybe I need to me more clear in my remarks. In either case, there's no way Epic will do away with logging in. Even if we take the DRM reasoning out of the equation, there's still the revenue generated by selling our information, and (most important to us players) it's necessary to ensure the integrity of the game. Epic can't ban cheaters if there's no record of who the cheaters are. I only hope that future UT games do a better job at making sure all the log-in stuff works like it should.
            I do love the workshop idea though. It's the best way I've seen to deliver user generated content to the community.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
              UT is one of those types of games that, due to superior bot support, can be played offline just as nicely as online.
              With that in mind, let me introduce you to a novel idea: GTFO with your login garbage!
              Why? Because it isn't justified with the low player counts UT is seeing, compared to other games with mandatory logins. Those other games sell nicely enough to get away with excluding the percentage of plyers that doesn't like the login part.
              héhé...cant tell it better!!
              ....+1

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
                Not only that but some of said companies *(we won't mention any names of which are the worst - but we know who they are)* IMO are actually cutting off their own noses to spite their faces so to speak; - Not everyone has broad-band internet; there are 10's of thousands of us who live in rural area's and buy these games to keep us busy in our down time, I have 8 PC's on my LAN in my house / 2 dedicated servers (specifically for media & dedicated UT3 servers, etc.) - I have no option for DSL where I live. We've been playing LAN games and having small regular LAN parties for over a decade; I lost count of how many games we've passed by because of "persistent online nonsense" - The first thing I we look for in a game is whether it includes LAN play or not, if it doesn't there a good chance it will get skipped, if its a "always online" we absolutely do not bother with it - even if its in the bargain bin.

As far as DRM I'm all for keeping the honest / honest; if a company wants to make say - a 1 time online activation or activate by telephone (we can deal with that easy enough) but persistent online is for the birds ; its really an ignorance mentality on the part of some companies / one guy says lets do this (even at the cost of a substantial percentage of potential customers) then some others start to jump on the band wagon because someone set a bad precedence. And these companies wonder why their sales are down .. lol (besides the fact that in a world recession its better to target all potential customers - instead of thumbing your nose to substantial portion of the market; namely people like us with out broad-band, heck even satellite high-speed has a usage cap - I mean get real do they honestly think everyone everywhere has a connection capable to handle this - someone obviously didn't think that one through well enough) lol some more ..

Additionally PC's have tremendous potential; speculators and market manipulators would have investors think that PC games aren't profitable - which is hardly the case. Na PC games aren't going away any time soon or ever for that matter.

Here is an interesting article - EA Founder Says Consoles are Niche

Here is more date to substantiate my points; - PC game sales to overtake consoles by 2014

Comment

Working...
                X