Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ut3.exe handles keep Increasing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ut3.exe handles keep Increasing

    This may have been already bought up but did not find any on search: Running Ut3.exe on a Win7 64 bit and looking at the process info in Task Manager, handles column.. it keeps increasing very fast and mine hit 50,000+. I would consider this a resource leak somewhere .. Anyone else experience the same?

    THe handle increase is only seen when the application is tabbed out - so it may not be that serious.

    #2
    Originally posted by voidy View Post
    This may have been already bought up but did not find any on search: Running Ut3.exe on a Win7 64 bit and looking at the process info in Task Manager, handles column.. it keeps increasing very fast and mine hit 50,000+. I would consider this a resource leak somewhere .. Anyone else experience the same?

    THe handle increase is only seen when the application is tabbed out - so it may not be that serious.
    What GFx driver? Every time I alt-tab and return to the game, my FPS drop and it becomes unstable.

    Comment


      #3
      AMD Catalyst 12.6
      ATI HD 5800 eyinfity

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by xeanderthal View Post
        What GFx driver? Every time I alt-tab and return to the game, my FPS drop and it becomes unstable.
        how high is your volume? olol

        my car makes noises what can it be?

        only happens when i start it.

        aero? resolution? set priority? make a dmp? compatibility mode? debug the insects very very omg?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by geronaho View Post
          make a dmp?
          eww! That sounds stinky.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by voidy View Post
            This may have been already bought up but did not find any on search: Running Ut3.exe on a Win7 64 bit and looking at the process info in Task Manager, handles column.. it keeps increasing very fast and mine hit 50,000+. I would consider this a resource leak somewhere .. Anyone else experience the same?

            THe handle increase is only seen when the application is tabbed out - so it may not be that serious.
            I don't understand what or how "Handles" effects the game.. is it suppose to have that many? is it not?

            Comment


              #7
              ok, I should have explained this better .. but a handle is a windows operating system resource that is abstract (see wiki link below). It is not normal for a application/process to have its handles increase continuously. If that is occurring - it is an indication that either there is a handle leak (memory leak) in the application and at some point windows OS will not longer be able to provide anymore memory/handles to the application and the application will become unstable or crash. To look at the handles(think of it as windows memory), bring up windows task manager and select View/Columns from the menu. Switch to the process tab and look for ut3.exe and observe the handles column. Most of the application handles will remain the same when idle. Ut3.exe when tabbed out increases it handles very fast (A handle leak is a type of software bug that occurs when a computer program asks for a handle to a resource but does not free the handle when it is no longer used.)

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handle_%28computing%29

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by voidy View Post
                ok, I should have explained this better .. but a handle is a windows operating system resource that is abstract (see wiki link below). It is not normal for a application/process to have its handles increase continuously. If that is occurring - it is an indication that either there is a handle leak (memory leak) in the application and at some point windows OS will not longer be able to provide anymore memory/handles to the application and the application will become unstable or crash. To look at the handles(think of it as windows memory), bring up windows task manager and select View/Columns from the menu. Switch to the process tab and look for ut3.exe and observe the handles column. Most of the application handles will remain the same when idle. Ut3.exe when tabbed out increases it handles very fast (A handle leak is a type of software bug that occurs when a computer program asks for a handle to a resource but does not free the handle when it is no longer used.)

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handle_%28computing%29
                Before I read this I tried looking at the handles but could not figure out how to view how many were running. Could you provide a screen shot?

                Have you tested your hardware? Memory to be more specific

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hi voidy,

                  I turned added handles to my view and conducted a test. While minimized the game does rapidly increase the handles (at some point 100 per tick), though I only managed to get 8000+ across 2 games.

                  Hardware:

                  CPU AMD FX8120 8-core 3.1 GHz
                  8GB RAM, Video: ATI HD6850 2GB RAM
                  Latest ATI drivers.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    s7urm, I tabbed out and went shopping and returned ot see it have increased to 400K+ and when I tried to play the game it was dragging.. that is whne I looked at the task manager to find the cause.

                    213, Will post a screenshot tomorrow

                    Comment


                      #11
                      s7urm, I tabbed out and went shopping and returned ot see it have increased to 400K+ and when I tried to play the game it was dragging.. that is whne I looked at the task manager to find the cause.

                      213, Will post a screenshot tomorrow

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Hey, I think you are on to something.

                        I tried to replicate this and (even went shopping lol) I got 100, 000+ which is very odd for my system.

                        What I did:

                        1. Start UT3
                        2. Torlan Short, 32 players, max game settings (HOLY S**T)
                        3. Tabbed out at approx. 1, 000 handles, went to buy some things (approximately 30 minutes later), came home to 100, 000

                        I had no issues, though. My machine can take at least 10 times the load, so I didn't experience any drag or something like that. I am not aware if these are normal results for a game that long and with those settings, but yet - here they stand.

                        Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/navFS.jpg


                        The next thing to do is just play for 30 mins, tab out and see the number of handles. :3
                        The next thing after that: some competent person to tell us what's going on. :>

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I'm only showing 1204 handles atm... your problems could be voltage somewhere, like not enough, or maybe your overclock isn't stable, or not enough voltage to your memory.. er something like that

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by UTPlayer529th View Post
                            I'm only showing 1204 handles atm... your problems could be voltage somewhere, like not enough, or maybe your overclock isn't stable, or not enough voltage to your memory.. er something like that
                            not likely

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Did you tab out (Press ALT + TAB and not close UT3) on Ut3 and check if the handles were increasing ..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X