What CPU is better for UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What CPU is better for UT3?

I'm upgrading my computer. I can buy a Quad Core 9550 or a 950 i7. Which one would perform better? What fps boost will I get from my current E8500?

Actually they won't perform better, maybe even worse. From what I know UT3 only uses two cores, so a stronger dual core processor is the better choice for this game. Which is what you have with the E8500. The quads are only better if you have a lot going in the background.

Also, your FPS is more a question of your graphics card, not your CPU.

Comment

i Honestly find no difference between a single core and a dual core CPU

- and tourian is right in every sense; the GPU takes the load

Comment

Originally posted by wikkid
        Might wanna tell my 6 core that ut3 isn't using it then...

It will max out two cores but it will use all the cores it can get its hands on.
        Well, then I remember it wrong. I couldn't test it myself, since I still have a dual core (won't upgrade until UE4 gets released). But good to know.

Still won't help much with the FPS... or does it?

Comment

....It will max out two cores but it will use all the cores it can get its hands on.
          ....same here

Comment

Yeah.. I'm contemplating a i7 970 currently .... from my i7 920, which i'll sell off.

Go with the i7 950. My i7 920 will do 4.2Ghz @ 211 BCLK on 1.456v with HT on but I run it all day at 4Ghz @ 1.35v HT on

Comment

Might wanna tell my 6 core that ut3 isn't using it then...

[shot]http://i.minus.com/ibwFXjmYTKuMTZ.png[/shot]

It will max out two cores but it will use all the cores it can get its hands on.
              What chip are you running, wikkid

Comment

Intel's 3930K @4.8 on an ASUS RIVE
                Why are you not running Hyper Threading on that thing!? I would, and I do on my i7 920 @ 4Ghz

Comment

Originally posted by Stormrider666 View Post
                  I'm upgrading my computer. I can buy a Quad Core 9550 or a 950 i7. Which one would perform better? What fps boost will I get from my current E8500?
                  Plus, the iterations per cycle or IPC on the i7 950 are about ? 20% faster VS the 9550 in single threaded apps which translates to apps that also take advantage of all cores.

Comment

I have the same experience with 2 cores maxed and all others seeing moderate to light usage. Now the case is usually that games max a video card out before a processor, but UT3 is the exception for me. I seem to be hitting a CPU bottleneck first, while my SLI 460 GTX's can provide me with higher framerates in other games that are at least as graphically demanding as UT3. In fact, I upgraded from 880GTX's to 460's without much improvement because i still have the same CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMeister View Post
                      I have the same experience with 2 cores maxed and all others seeing moderate to light usage. Now the case is usually that games max a video card out before a processor, but UT3 is the exception for me. I seem to be hitting a CPU bottleneck first, while my SLI 460 GTX's can provide me with higher framerates in other games that are at least as graphically demanding as UT3. In fact, I upgraded from 880GTX's to 460's without much improvement because i still have the same CPU.
                      What CPU? 10 character limit

Comment

Originally posted by UTPlayer529th View Post
                        What CPU? 10 character limit
                        qualcomm msm7201a

11char : )

Comment

Oh dear, so much misinformation.

Originally posted by Stormrider666 View Post
                          Neither. Get an ivy bridge system instead. However upgrading from a E8500 is not worth it for UT3 unless you are having inadequate results base on your specific set up, i.e. are you pushing for more than what is usual. Also note the two cpus you listed are different sockets and use different memory.

Does your machine do what you need? If so then do not upgrade at all, wait for Haswell chips. And if you are really into PC gaming don't get anything less than a good quad core.

Comment

Originally posted by UTPlayer529th View Post
                            Yeah.. I'm contemplating a i7 970 currently .... from my i7 920, which i'll sell off.

Go with the i7 950. My i7 920 will do 4.2Ghz @ 211 BCLK on 1.456v with HT on but I run it all day at 4Ghz @ 1.35v HT on

It would be cheaper to get a i5/i7 ivy bridge cpu and motherboard since the chip you speak of is in the $500 range.(if you can find it) The newer chips are a ton faster than the first gen i5/i7 chips. Even the locked sandy/ivy bridge i5/i7's are faster than the 990x first gen chip. So imagine what an unlocked sandy/ivy bridge chip OC'd to 4.0-4.5ghz could do.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sincreator View Post
                              It would be cheaper to get a i5/i7 ivy bridge cpu and motherboard since the chip you speak of is in the $500 range.(if you can find it) The newer chips are a ton faster than the first gen i5/i7 chips. Even the locked sandy/ivy bridge i5/i7's are faster than the 990x first gen chip. So imagine what an unlocked sandy/ivy bridge chip OC'd to 4.0-4.5ghz could do.....
                              I held off the urge on eBay last night for an i7 970. I was going to buy it to hold me over till Haswell, thankfully I withheld the urge. Haswell will include AVX2...

Comment

Working...
                              X