This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WREX anticheat - basic tutorial

As some of you know, Random54 equipped one or more of his servers with the only anti-cheat available for this game. Strangely I don't see people in the server. But if you're like me and want to try it out, I've made a little video of how to set it up. It's really really easy. It takes me about 2 minutes (maybe 5 minutes the first time).

You can't get in the server without running the anticheat, naturally. And you have to run it once (only once) before you start playing. If you play after 6 hours have past, you'll have to run it again. Rand, correct me if I'm wrong. Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsmaoxspmiU

EDIT: The WREX scan runs MUCH Faster if you run it before you load UT3. If you run it while UT3 is open it can take 4x as long to complete
    ---
    If you want to have wrex run without any prompting you can edit the shortcut with the options below:
    "-agree" skips the agreement text
    "-language=<fr/en/it/de>" select the language
    "-autoscan" launches the scan automatically at start
    "-launch=<ut3/ut2004>" launches the matching game specified in the game tab (you can locate your game manually if the one found is wrong or none was found) right after the scan has ended

1. So simply create a shortcut to your "Wrex Anti-Cheat Launcher.exe"
    2. Right click on the shortcut and click properties
    3. In the Target field replace "MyPathToWrex\Wrex Anti-Cheat Launcher.exe"
    with "MyPathToWrex\Wrex Anti-Cheat Launcher.exe" -agree -language=en -autoscan -launch=ut3
    4. Click OK

So for example here is the command line I use to start wrex:
    "C:\Wrex\Wrex Anti-Cheat Launcher.exe" -agree -language=en -autoscan

I put a copy of this shortcut in my startup folder so I'm ready to run UT3 when my computer starts.

*Edit*
    Looks like we forgot a link to the wrex page :P
    http://wrex.mangemesboules.fr/

Comment

Enoch to answer your qustion: After 6 hours have elapsed since the last scan the master server won't authenticate you. If this happens when you are playing then you will fail to authenticate on the next map change and will be kicked. You can now rescan with or without quiting UT3 (quitting tends to be faster) and then rejoin the server.

Comment

And here's the link for downloading and all infos on the website :
        http://wrex.mangemesboules.fr/

Thanks for using Wrex and thanks for the video tutorial

Do you mind if i post your video on our website ?

And a final question, could you tell me which Norton version you use, so we can try to give you a fix for the alert it sends you ?
        We've been testing it with 40+ online antivirus successfully (cf. this link : http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/...259-1325174708 ) but i guess it's more a problem with the firewall stuff included.

Comment

"So for example here is the command line I use to start wrex:
          "C:\Wrex\Wrex Anti-Cheat Launcher.exe" -agree -language=en -autoscan "

Neat stuff.

"Do you mind if i post your video on our website ?"

Sure go for it.

And a final question, could you tell me which Norton version you use, so we can try to give you a fix for the alert it sends you ?

18.6.0.29 Thanks.

Comment

DavVador said:
            "We've been testing it with 40+ online antivirus successfully (cf. this link : http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/...259-1325174708 ) but i guess it's more a problem with the firewall stuff included."

I'm thinking most players are relucatant to try your anticheat b/c of the potential harm to their computer or privacy invasion. When I click that link it shows all the "tested" antiviruses on the page, but it doesn't show anything in the "result" column. Why is this?

Maybe you can say something else here that will relieve players of some anxiety in using your program. Thanks.

Comment

The page clearly states that each scanner tested the file and shows a "-" as result. This would indicate, at least to me, that nothing was found. If something was found I'm sure you'd see the name of the trojan/virus.

The only people with anxiety over using the program are most likely hacking.

Comment

Random54 is right, an empty result means the antivirus didnt find anything bad with it.

Check this link :
                http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/...5ff-1304089592
                In opposition to Wrex, this is a file with bad result as you can see.

I didnt manage to find your norton antivirus version online, but i found the latest release free for test (30 days trial), i'm gonna give it a try today and see if i can get the same problem as you are experiencing.

Comment

Well i've been testing Wrex with latest Norton available for free on the web : Norton Internet Security 2012
                  This one includes firewall, antispyware and Sonar protection.

I tested with default release 19.1.0.28 and then with 19.2.0.10 after updating.

I had no warning at all with default setting, nothing being blocked, even with turning ON Sonar to "Agressive Mode".

And here is the result of the file scanning :
                  Scan Statistics:
                  Scan Time: 0 seconds
                  Scan Targets: C:\Temp\Wrex Anti-Cheat Launcher.exe
                  Counts:
                  Total items scanned: 1
                  - Files & Directories: 1
                  - Registry Entries: 0
                  - Processes & Start-up Items: 0
                  - Network & Browser Items: 0
                  - Other: 0
                  - Trusted Files: 0
                  - Skipped Files: 0

Total security risks detected: 0
                  Total items resolved: 0
                  Total items that require attention: 0

Resolved Threats:
                  No risks have been resolved

Unresolved Threats:
                  No unresolved risks
                  Is the 18.6.0.29 the latest version available for your product ?
                  Have you tried with default settings ?

Comment

Ok, i finally found Norton Internet Security 2011 as a trial, version 18.6.0.29 (same as you).
                    And here again with default settings nothing suspicious was found or blocked when using Wrex or when scanning the file manually.
                    I tried with Agressive Sonar settings, and same result.
                    I also made the updates (same engine 18.6.0.29 but latest virus definitions) and still the same result.

Scan Statistics:
                    Scan Time: 0 seconds
                    Scan Targets: C:\Temp\Wrex Anti-Cheat Launcher.exe
                    Counts:
                    Total items scanned: 1
                    - Files & Directories: 1
                    - Registry Entries: 0
                    - Processes & Start-up Items: 0
                    - Network & Browser Items: 0
                    - Other: 0
                    - Trusted Files: 0
                    - Skipped Files: 0

Total security risks detected: 0
                    Total items resolved: 0
                    Total items that require attention: 0

Resolved Threats:
                    No risks have been resolved

Unresolved Threats:
                    No unresolved risks
                    http://www.mangemesboules.fr/divers/..._18_6_0_29.png

Seems you really need to restore default settings

Btw Norton 2012 seems to be available as a free update for 2011 users, you could give it a try maybe.

Comment

Hi, this is the first I hear of an anti-cheat for ut3. Can anyone please tell me how does it work, how do they know it is working, and how many cycles/instructions it takes? How taxing is it for the server and client? This game is so bandwidth hungry, Random54 is errant in statement that only hackers are anxious of running this. Many server admin are earnest for anti-cheat, but disclosure and assurance in some form would be beneficial to the cause. Otherwise it is just another thing for new players to a server to download, and thus, give up connection. Furthermore, and this is not a challenge, just another concern, how easily may we keep updated, and is the process of kicking/banning foolproof to false positives in events such as packet loss, version mismatch, 3D video driver hooks, etc.

Comment

Admins should be wary of running this, players should not. Basically wrex is not taxing at all on the sytem. It's a 2 part solution. 1 part is the scanner on your machine. It does a scan before you play and monitors running processes but uses virtually no resources when it's not scanning. The 2nd part is the server side mutator. When anyone tries to join the server the mutator checks with the master server to make sure that the player has wrex running, there is not a second instance of the game running, and has performed a scan. If the player has not met those criteria then he/she is kicked from the server.

So admins beware. This will mean less players playing on your server. From a players point of view however there is no problem besides minor inconvenience waiting for the scan to complete. Assuming of course you aren't cheating

As far as I know wrex only kicks in the discovery of known hacks. This avoids false positives. Any suspicious files / activities are logged for the admins behind wrex to look into. DavVador can answer this better than I can as I have yet to see it kick some one for cheating.

Comment

I finally had the same problem as you Enoch with an old launcher, maybe you can try redownloading latest one here :
                          http://getwrex.mangemesboules.fr/

Comment

Yes, Random54 explained quite well how it works.
                            For the server itself, there won't be any extra CPU or brandwith load (it's so little that you won't notice it).
                            The checks are ran clientside BEFORE you start your game, so unless you load a cheat for example after your scan, you won't feel any fps drop or lag while playing due to Wrex anticheat.

As for the kicks/ban, no kick/ban will be issued before a Wrex admin checks the logs, we have a webinterface ready for checking logs but we're testing/improving it a bit more before making a public release. This interface will allow you (us at the moment) to check if someone has been detecting cheating or having a cheat on his PC. When someone is being detected as a cheater, this information is of course 100% sure and reliable.
                            PL, version mismatch or 3D video hooks driver (legal ones at least) as long as they dont come with cheat related stuff wont make you be a cheater.

Comment

Sounds wonderful, thanks to you both for explaining.

Comment

Working...
                              X