Anybody On???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody On???

I just got a new computer and I installed UT3 and the latest patch and I can't seem to find any server for any gametype. Anybody know anything?

Oh yes, very known problem.

Well.. UT3 has just a few populated servers left (because of various reasons). We have a thread which has a list of servers that are worth a try.
    Here's a link to the thread (thanks to UTPlayer529th). However, there are some times you will have barely any chance to find any servers. You should play around late afternoon/evening, then you have the biggest chances to find some servers (since most people return from work and just want to relax a bit and to frag some opponents). When there is just one player on just one server, join it. More and more people will follow, you will start a chain reaction.

Many people here say "UT3 is dead" but I don't think so. A game is only then dead when people stop creating content for it, don't visit its forum anymore and forget about it. UT dies with us. It's just a hard time, nothing more. After a while you will get a feeling for the times you can find players on servers.

I don't know if you are familiar with UT's (and especialy UT3's) gameplay mechanics so you might want to check out my tips thread. Even "older players" have said that it contains very useful information they didn't even know before, it's not just for newcomers. It contains very useful information, tips, hints and tricks. With a bit of practice (mostly timing, reactions and aiming is required) you can quickly become a good player (if you are new to the series).

I'm not much of a help but I hope I could help you at least a bit.

Comment

Thanks, I've played UT3 for a while now. But, last year, there was like 100 servers up. I don't get how they just "disappear".

Comment

Sadly, people move on and it's hard to get any newcomers. If we have any newcomers, they will get pwned by the UT veterans, will meet some cheaters (which is thanks goodness not as common anymore as some months ago), think that the good players cheat too They refuse to play botmatches first and just jump into the mass with plenty of good players, where the previously mentioned things happen. They leave, are angry, deinstall, never touch it anymore (or just once in a while), maybe even sell it because they can't manage to master the "complex gameplay" and if they ever return the situation got just worse and there are no populated servers and they immediately deinstall again.

The reasons people leave is:
        The "lack of support" (just quoting others, people still want patches to fix the remaining bugs instead of just getting used to how it is now), hate towards consoles and thus a hate towards a "consolized UT"/UT3 (it is a bit "consolized", but there are worse examples. The available patches imrpoved it), they hate the Gears-like look or the heavy feeling of the gameplay/"dumbed down gameplay" (again, just quoting, not necessarily my opinion - the gravity seems higher than in the previous U/UT games and you walk slower though, it feels more heavy), the bugs, a total ragequit (they ragequit and never touch it anymore, example are the newcomers to the series), they found a game that is more appealing to them (maybe COD? - I hate the new COD games...) etc..

Comment

The community is definitely very small nowadays, but it's possible this is also being caused by a bug. If you're playing on Windows 7, make sure you are running UT3 as an admin. It's possible that not doing so can cause some servers not to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambent Veteran View Post
            I just got a new computer and I installed UT3 and the latest patch and I can't seem to find any server for any gametype. Anybody know anything?
            If you really like UT, you might consider getting UT 2004. UT 2004 has one or two Onslaught (Warfare) servers that fill up with (or close to) 32 players every night. Those servers also offer custom Onslaught maps. Last I looked, UT 2004's Onslaught was much more active than UT3's Warfare and in UT 2004 there isn't a silly Titan mod. You might also enjoy the Invasion-RPG game, and you can find populated servers for that pretty much 24/7. If Capture-the-Flag is your bailiwick, then get the original UT99, though almost of the populated servers are either running mods or just playing CTF-Face.

(I'm not trying to flame UT3. I'm just offering some friendly advice to a UT series newcomer who wants to play on populated servers.)

Comment

Head over to Hedsteem.com. Lots of people there still playing UT3. All sorts of custom maps that no one else has.

Comment

Working...
              X