ATTN: Servers needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATTN: Servers needed!

As much as I would want the duel community to be more alive, I think more multi-gametype servers would be a use to the North American community.

Now I'm not 18 yet, and if I was, I would definitely spend the money I have to put up a few servers.

But back to the point, if the duel community wants to be popular again, then we need the right located servers in the United States.

Duel/Multi-gametype servers as of now:

-[cQ] Chicago - A fairly active server in Chicago. Mostly used for dueling.
    -[cQ] West coast(SanJose I think?) - Server that is used once in a while by west coast duelers
    -FailDuelz - Active duel server in Denver
    -[ToJ] Christian Carnage - New York server that has problems because of being hosted on Gameservers.com. Duel servers aren't meant to be hosted on gameservers.

What we need
    -East Coast Server - A duel server located in New York, Virginia, or Atlanta(or 2 of the 3) would be great.
    -Central Server - A server in Missouri or Dallas would be great, considering some Central American players play in North America for dueling.

If anyone would have the money and effort to provide a server(s), it would be greatly appreciated. I will assure that the servers now and the servers in the future will be used by the North American community in the future more often.

Thanks.

What we need are players :\

Comment

You can ask Bambuchu. I think he changed his CTF server to Greed when the official Epic Greed server went down the past day or so.

Oh' and fast servers are "in" btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Legionz View Post
        What we need are players :\
        Which could demand the amount of servers.

Comment

Your suggestion has merit, however as LegionZ has pointed out the player base just isn't large enough these days to support the active servers we have.

In my experience running a UT3 server for the past couple years, multi gametype servers are not as typically active as single gametype servers, the exception being duel/tdm servers. Warfare, Greed, and iCTF -the other three active gametypes- have fared best on a single gametype server.

If you are really interested in increasing the player counts/activity on your favorite servers, then your best bet is to start organizing weekly or monthly events for these gametypes. This has proven successful in the past, though does require a large time commitment.

Comment

We are hoping to get our ToJ server to a better location and hosting package sometime soon. Our clan just needs a few more pledges for monthly contributions and we can make the switch. We had been looking for colocation in the midwest, but those are still surprisingly expensive even though we'd own our own hardware. We are now considering Art of War for server rental instead and would be glad to hear from those with any experience with them. Activity on our server would pick up with a better host since the lag is what has been discouraging me and others recently (but I have no idea how to fix my local **** ISP who has a monopoly in this town :\)

Comment

I duel more on European and Russian servers than North Americans. That's despite both of the cQ servers being mine. There just aren't enough active duelers in North America. This lack of duelers has led to a huge skill gap, which is even more discouraging for people. It is now very difficult for anyone to progress beyond a certain skill level, since they lack the necessary variety in opponents.

The other problem with North American dueling is ping. In Europe or Russia it is rare to see some one with 60+ ping on a server. Generally pings are under 40. In North America most players have above 60 ping. This has led to people using ping comp which has all sorts of issues. Most notably the graphical glitches with projectile weapons. The graphics and the shots simply do not line up. Bio is the worst because it often lands in a much different place than you see it on your screen, leading to invisible goo. So the choice is between not being able to hit with hitscan weapons or graphical glitches Both of these choices are bad and have led to a lot of North American players just giving up on UT3 dueling.

So short answer is: Dueling is dead in North America and having more servers isn't going to fix that.

BTW Legionz, are you planning on defaulting Failz to ping comp off? I know you're about as fed up with it as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by UTPlayer529th View Post
                You can ask Bambuchu. I think he changed his CTF server to Greed when the official Epic Greed server went down the past day or so.

Oh' and fast servers are "in" btw.
                Yeah I did this last night and it turned out well even into the wee hours of the morning.

It's a cheap server so I'm open to suggestions for what people would like to use it for.

Comment

I have four servers set up:

Atlanta: 68.232.179.114
                  Dallas: 206.217.134.227
                  Dallas: 68.232.162.21
                  New York: 208.167.246.236

Comment

Originally posted by ViperSss View Post

Those servers have a dodge jump mutator and lack UT3 comp. Not exactly what NovaZzZ was asking for.

What he wants are competitive servers similar to cQ and Failz. So the only mutators that effect gameplay would be UTComp and weapons replacement (to replace redeemr with rocket launcher in TDM).

Also no offense but UT3 maps aren't really scaled properly for dodge jump. If you like that gameplay why not stick with 2k4?

Comment

Originally posted by ViperSss View Post

First off, thanks for your support of servers to UT3. Much appreciated.

If you want, someone could turn one of those servers to a popular duel/multi gametype server if someone admins them correctly, or if you know how to admin them to a UTComp and weapon replacement mutator.

Plus, some of the popular DM maps could be added in as well.

Then I'm pretty sure you're set for a good server .

Comment

Originally posted by bombachu View Post
                        Yeah I did this last night and it turned out well even into the wee hours of the morning.

It's a cheap server so I'm open to suggestions for what people would like to use it for.
                        Alot of people were asking what happened to the "Official Epic Greed...." server while on yours so I think there is a favor to it. IMO your server will stand a chance as it got some play. I seen a person on it this morning, so it is on the "radar"

the cQ server is a great server. I'd like to know the specs of it vs the FailDuelz cause I have a horrible time on the fail server. I'm not sure if it's my connection bandwidth or server hardware. I just don't want to say anything as of yet.

Really liking Greed more and more

Comment

Originally posted by Random54 View Post
                          I duel more on European and Russian servers than North Americans. That's despite both of the cQ servers being mine. There just aren't enough active duelers in North America. This lack of duelers has led to a huge skill gap, which is even more discouraging for people. It is now very difficult for anyone to progress beyond a certain skill level, since they lack the necessary variety in opponents.

The other problem with North American dueling is ping. In Europe or Russia it is rare to see some one with 60+ ping on a server. Generally pings are under 40. In North America most players have above 60 ping. This has led to people using ping comp which has all sorts of issues. Most notably the graphical glitches with projectile weapons. The graphics and the shots simply do not line up. Bio is the worst because it often lands in a much different place than you see it on your screen, leading to invisible goo. So the choice is between not being able to hit with hitscan weapons or graphical glitches Both of these choices are bad and have led to a lot of North American players just giving up on UT3 dueling.

So short answer is: Dueling is dead in North America and having more servers isn't going to fix that.

BTW Legionz, are you planning on defaulting Failz to ping comp off? I know you're about as fed up with it as I am.
                          Yea I need to default ping comp off on Failz. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X