Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by azurescorch View Post
    They tried to make both groups happy and failed.
    No, they were more focused on bring back the "original" feel!

2k4 was nothing like the "original" feel!

... losing a community is NEVER a good thing!

(but I still have faith in you EPIC! ....do the right thing and Knock it out of the Park next time! )

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Làámßø View Post
    They should have realized (and reacted proactively) on all the complaining and crying out for the UT2004 feel vs that crappy original ut feel:

UT99 fans say UT04's movement is ****
    UT04 fans say UT99's movement is ****.

They tried to make both groups happy and failed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    They should of done what they did back in UT2003---->UT2004...... made a UT4 with the feel everyone was screeming for! ..and add back the BR and AS mods

They should have realized (and reacted proactively) on all the complaining and crying out for the UT2004 feel vs that crappy original ut feel (which didn't really work with this awesome engine) and It would have re Energized the community and fan base!

This Series would have probably doubled in size and still be thriving today if they would have done that!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ^ Consoles now lead the market unfortunately. They say the console model is now dieing but judging by the move to tablets, the increasing power of mobile devices and the popularity of low budget games on said devices, I doubt the PC is ever going to make a serious come back. The only people I know who actually own desktops these days study computer science or electronic engineering. Not saying you can't play on a laptop but the move to laptops has made PC gaming significantly less approachable.

Whatever they do, they should have a ranking system to make it more accessible.
    Fair enough, I found Halo easy until I got to level 30, then I had to really start working; but

UT is HARD.
    I think a ranking system would help new people ease into the game. They don't get that now. They just get smacked around, so new players don't stick to it.
    I've invited 3 friends to play UT3 fairly recently against the computer, and they all liked it - including 1 person who doesn't play games at all (and has weak co-ordination). I think online would deter them - and obviously unless you are like me, loving trying to beat the computer at instagib, offline play isn't as rewarding.

Tbh, I don't really actively encourage people to get the game because I know they would get smacked around online (if they managed to find a well populated room), quit, and then blame me for getting them to buy it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    whold be great if they had any idea. but from what ive heared from them they realy like what ut3 has become xD

i just hope they are not to naive that they will port ut4 to the pc. and again giving a slow console based gameplay like in ut3.
    els i have to get serius about creating 1 myself. but i got many more ideas that will have to wait then. so i hope not.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by partydevil View Post
    that sounds prety much as a demo, something that 75% of other games do not have but ut alrdy got. + the player made stuff.

if it's a real hit people like "angel mapper" and other teams/individuals will be able to make greater new content then epic probably can =P
    epic just need to make a very strong base game.
    but some new gamemodes that give extra options to editors whold be nice.
    or did you want to leave the editor out of ut4? that whold be a major fail
    Well, obv. it's not in my gift , but certainly it makes sense to include the editor and support and indeed welcome any and all new user generated content, as with previous UTs. But top quality, official, paid DLC would be what would support the 'core' game's expansion- the idea of a free basic game would draw massive interest and hopefully loads of new players- a ready made market. It might sound a bit crazy , but so did the free UDK . Now others all doing it eg. Crytek.

Basically, we're all just throwing ideas around hoping Epic will pick one up and run with it, they may think we're all posting ****, they may have better plans already, who knows?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nono View Post
    Well there are lots of possible formulas, the idea of a basic freeware game, with say a couple of DM maps, then using the paid DLC model for loads of new content is another promising one.

Some may say , "No to DLC!". But it may literally be a choice between this kind of sales model and not getting another UT full stop. I mean , let's face it, many think the idea that Epic will stump up the $ and time commitment to make an AAA UT4 after UT3's less than stellar outing is... unlikely , and this however dear the UT franchise is to them. Getting the core right in a freeware game, then expanding interest would be a lot less risky.
    that sounds prety much as a demo, something that 75% of other games do not have but ut alrdy got. + the player made stuff.

if it's a real hit people like "angel mapper" and other teams/individuals will be able to make greater new content then epic probably can =P
    epic just need to make a very strong base game.
    but some new gamemodes that give extra options to editors whold be nice.
    or did you want to leave the editor out of ut4? that whold be a major fail

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by LLonewolf View Post
    anyway no need to dream for another ut, it prolly won't happen. The solution has been given several times and here also. Just do an ut3.5 with udk, try as much as possible to make udk able to "absorb " ut3 content without ****loads of work (for mods+maps+mutators etc), and why not some minor changes and maybe... let's dream... a very small ""patch"" included in it, to fix the last IMPORTANT stuffs that are still annoying (not like PLZ epic it lacks some grass near upper node on islander, very important fix it plz !11!1!!) and that's it.
    That is the easier, faster, cheaper and more realistic solution anyway (so as it's the cheapest, that is the most interesting one for them x) ), the new engine and the eventual small fixes are enough to put some highlights over it again.
    That would keep ppl "hungried of ut" around (and also help them waiting) if one day, they ever decide to release another one, at least let's hope at the good moment....
    Everyone would love to see UT3 bug fixed and pimped up by using the latest UDK build. The only problem with repackaging UT3 tho, is it won't exactly generate much new attention.

Btw, I don't think another major upheaval in movement is a good idea, if or when UT4 comes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    anyway no need to dream for another ut, it prolly won't happen. The solution has been given several times and here also. Just do an ut3.5 with udk, try as much as possible to make udk able to "absorb " ut3 content without ****loads of work (for mods+maps+mutators etc), and why not some minor changes and maybe... let's dream... a very small ""patch"" included in it, to fix the last IMPORTANT stuffs that are still annoying (not like PLZ epic it lacks some grass near upper node on islander, very important fix it plz !11!1!!) and that's it.
    That is the easier, faster, cheaper and more realistic solution anyway (so as it's the cheapest, that is the most interesting one for them x) ), the new engine and the eventual small fixes are enough to put some highlights over it again.
    That would keep ppl "hungried of ut" around (and also help them waiting) if one day, they ever decide to release another one, at least let's hope at the good moment....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    the idea sounds good but what about people that do not watch this forum?
    those that are new the serie when ut4 get's launched? they can not play because they didn't pay? or they can play whit freeware. but then why should you pay for the making?

if it comes out that not enoufg people sponsord epic to make ut4. then 1. they still make it and @ ut5 no1 will be paying beforhand anymore because they know epic will make it anyway. or 2. they don't make it whit a chance to get sued. because they collected money for a goal that never started.

what if it takes longer to make the game then there is money to pay the developers? it's not a very profitable formula. but your idea on a own as a extra whold help getting a nice extra interest indeed. but it will need the normale retail distribution to get the real money. maybe a lower price for those that payed befor making. but those are details.

keep in mind that epic games is still a company. their total goal is profit
    Well there are lots of possible formulas, the idea of a basic freeware game, with say a couple of DM maps, then using the paid DLC model for loads of new content is another promising one.

Some may say , "No to DLC!". But it may literally be a choice between this kind of sales model and not getting another UT full stop. I mean , let's face it, many think the idea that Epic will stump up the $ and time commitment to make an AAA UT4 after UT3's less than stellar outing is... unlikely , and this however dear the UT franchise is to them. Getting the core right in a freeware game, then expanding interest would be a lot less risky.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    also has epic bought "people can fly" they are best whit porting to the pc.
    Oh, yeah, PC Bulletstorm is a fantastic console port...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
    But that stuff was in Epic's control. If things like the user interface and server browser weren't in their control then who's control was it in?
    Yeah, I didn't really elaborate there too much. Things such as the popularity of real-world shooters like CS:Source and the Battlefield series..the popularity of consoles, the MMO-steamroller gobbling up players, the failure of Quake 4 a couple years earlier (a similar-styled shooter), PhysX not yet acquired by Nvidia and the general, consumer tech continuum as it related to PC gaming at that time, etc, etc.

At this point I think that if they make a UT4 it needs to include separate options for UT99 style and UT 2004 style. That way server admins can choose what they like and the marketplace of players can decide. (I think UT99 style is better for non-vehicle games and UT 2004 style is better for Onslaught/Warfare.)
    The switch in movement style between UT2k4 and UT3 didn't bother me. I like them both for how they are. Being able to calibrate game physics on a server to one style or the other is a pretty cool idea that would offer more variety to the playerbase for sure.

UT3 never had much of a clan scene to begin with. In fact, it never had very high player counts overall to begin with and it's hard to have a clan scene without a large player base. UT99 had the largest one. UT 2004's was smaller, and UT3's was almost non-existent. (By clan, I mean an organized group that plays scheduled matches against other clans and not just groups of friends.)
    Currently, I see a lot of older maps having been redone in UE3..at least the ones I'm familiar with from UT2k4 and the game runs really well on my admittedly average gaming rig. The gameplay's excellent imho and the game seems ripe for a resurgence in interest which could definitely support an active, competitive clan environment.

The pieces are all on the table, they just havn't been set in the right places yet. Eh, they may never be but it is within the realm of possibility that they could be!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Random54 View Post
    Shouldn't require a mutator to run FOV 120 :/
    This is true, it shouldn't. Personally I play with 100, though if my monitor was slightly bigger I'd prefer a nice 110. No idea why epic decided to place such a low limit.

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
    What if the game is never released and you're left holding your d**k?
    You can cancel pre-orders and get a refund. Even on steam.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HugoMarques View Post
    (and it would be, seeing as it would be a PC exclusive)
    where youve seen that? from the very little info ive seen from epic it sounds kinda like they will do the next ut the ut3 way again. (also the way they talk about ut3 =/ )

don't mind if you ment pc exclusive in combo whit the rest of the idea.
    then this comment was never posted =P

================================================== =========================

added edit:
    but still it's not very profitable. seeing as they are part of EA games now. EA is probably wanting to see some money rolling for their contract whit epic. and we all know that EA is a very big moneygrubber. (nothing bad whit it in my eye's but it has some bad side effects. it makes them not care about their product anymore.) maybe behind the scene forcing epic to go console. (no proof at all for that last ) also has epic bought "people can fly" they are best whit porting to the pc. not so much whit porting to console.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    it whold be a fail (EPIC fail) if people can only buy the game when it's in the making xD
    You're misinterpreting me. I never said that fans were obligated to contribute. You'd only donate if you were interested. The game would be later released as a freeware product and fans could mirror the download and put it on torrents, but Epic wouldn't have to care about that. The bucks would be already in their pockets. And afterwards, if the game was well done (and it would be, seeing as it would be a PC exclusive), any gamer could still contribute as a way of saying thanks for a fantastic and free game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X