No announcement yet.

Getting back in the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its really interesting to see a thread like this, to see what other people think and feel about the game as a whole, I personally love UT3, but then I loved every single game under the unreal franchise aswell, when i got UT2003 i was shocked at how much of a difference it was, graphicly, gamestyle, and everything else over UT99, I never bought UT2004 untill very late, to me it was just an added gametype which was onslaught and still to this day didn't really play it all that much, untill epic released the UT2004 editors choice edition, THEN i bought that sucka up real quick!! lol now that was definitely worth the purchase, will ALLLLL the added content aswell as UT2004.

UT3 is a game that i've actually never stopped playing it since it came out really, i've personally never really had a big bug that reuined the game when it was released. The way it plays, looks, feels is amazing to me, and i personally dont really play online with it, just agianst bots and quite often play with the wife on LAN. I play it more on LAN then i'd ever take it online. WAR is a good gametype, but I've missed assault a LOT!! that was an amazing gametype and with the community as it is today could have pulled off some amazing maps for that, WAR is a lot more complicaited to make because of the powercores, nodes setups and vehicals you have to implement. My most played gametypes are DM and CTF still, and in any UT game, will always be my prefered game types, but war is a nice addition to play something new when you get bored of the main game modes. Only thing i could critisize UT3 was when it was first released, WASNT many maps at all, like at all, there was supposed to be something like 40 maps, but that spread out over 4 gametypes, so each gametype had 10 maps or less. I loved the new CTF-FACE map, thought it was a rocking map, but the original face that orbits earth/planet had a much better all round feel to it... but as someone made a CTF-Faceclassic map, and did a **** good job of it, should meet anyones needs who wanted the original face map back.

All the maps are incredible, visually stunning and good to play, vehicals can be un-balanced at times but thats alright, thats minor to me, i did miss CTF-LavaGiant, the lava effects from the Unreal 3 engine would hace been specatulor

Comment

Thread has been completely derailed but whatever :f

I'd just like to add that if there is a UT4 I by no means want it to be the same as UT3, or any of the others. I want the weapons, vehicles, and movement to be a bit different with each installment whilst still staying fast-paced and true to the Arena format. If we get UT4 and it feels completely different I for one will embrace it and enjoy having to relearn everything. I don't see the point of just having the same game with a graphical update

Any one else feel the same way on this?

Comment

1. I think some things should remain the same, shock rifle and the majority of the weapons that are staples of the UT franchise should be the same but there could be new weapons added, necris weapons maybe?. FUNCTIONALITY OF THE "STAPLE" WEAPONS SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED, EVER, IF A SEQUEL IS TO BE A "TRUE" SEQUEL. *especially if a game reaches the popularity levels that UT99 and UT2k4 had.

2. vehicles that are staples, manta, hellbender, raptor, all axon vehicles should have kept the same "feel" as their UT2k4 versions (since they were the first versions of these vehicles). The necris vehicles should have been the "different" ones. There are some changes that were good though: scorpion boost, hellbender 1st seat fires skymines...

3. its not that hard to make a mutator to tweak minor player movement parameters. Just give the options to the player/server admin, classic (UT99), lower gravity (UT2k4), and "new style" = whatever Epic comes up with for a new UT.

Comment

It's obvious UT has a loyal fanbase, heck people wouldn't still be commenting here if it didn't. And from the OP clearly there are loads of people still with the UT itch.

The sad thing is the almost unique lack of communication between Epic and UT fans. It isn't just as though the whole franchise has so much fallen out of favour at Epic ,more like it's become Persona non grata. A little pep talk or interview on where the franchise could be headed would probably go a long way. I mean after the flop that was Batman and Robin , who'd have expected Batman Begins & The dark knight? Point is, a franchise can shine again.

Personally I think if they make another, it's essential that it makes a debut again on PC and it's down ported. Getting the PC world buzzing about a game generates huge anticipation in the console world as BF3 seems to be showing.

Sorry for off topic.

Comment

Exactly, we can still hope - and even if we get a new UT and/or Unreal game when we are all 60-80 years old - the time we spend on waiting would be definitely worth it, wouldn't it?

Comment

If Epic does make a UT4 and they want to make it a console game like their other IPs, ie, bulletstorm which doesn't even have proper resolution support and where a few inches of mouse movement on lowest sensitivity results in a 720 turn. Then they should seriously pull in DE. As much as I dislike homefront for being a generic military shooter I have to say, I was impressed by the "porting" DE did. There was every option you could ever need right there from day one. Even the FOV goes up to 110 (maybe 120?). DirectX11 true or false is an option (most games require a cfg file edit from what I've seen), mouse acceleration and smoothing, Sensitivity (normal, ADS and vehicle). Seriously, they did an amazing job. I feels like it was made for the PC. Even the ini's are editable though some things get reset upon game load, ie you can't set mipmap max size to 2x2. This is of course a good thing.
              What's more is DE has actually been very engaged with the community from what I've seen.

Yeah Sanch3z, I didn't mean for the replacement of staple vehicles and weapons. I just meant for tweaks so they feel different. A bit like how the UTs have all been different so far. Can't really comment on the vehicles in ut3 vs ut04. I may love warfare but ironically I loath vehicles. :0

Comment

Hi guys,

Any way to enable voice chat all the time instead of push-2-talk on the PS3? I hate this since I play mostly with my friends and its annoying and cumbersome. Why did Epic not have that option to turn it on all the time. Any way to do this with a mod?

Comment

Originally posted by azurescorch View Post
                  Thread has been completely derailed but whatever :f

I'd just like to add that if there is a UT4 I by no means want it to be the same as UT3, or any of the others. I want the weapons, vehicles, and movement to be a bit different with each installment whilst still staying fast-paced and true to the Arena format. If we get UT4 and it feels completely different I for one will embrace it and enjoy having to relearn everything. I don't see the point of just having the same game with a graphical update

Any one else feel the same way on this?
                  I dunno about changing the weapons... I mean, without shock combos it wouldn't be UT.

Comment

UT3 was derailed by many things unrelated to the gameplay itself. The UI was not done at release and was called "f**ed" by Epic themselves. The demo (still in a beta) was buggy, laggy, didn't run well on machines at that time and was a very bad advertisement for UT3. Many 2k4 players took one look, and said bye-bye.

Then add things like the bloom and depth of field which made everything blurry, shiny and difficult to see and maps where you get stuck on edges. Add to that lack of basic features like spectating(except via console command, now fixed), going to spec from game(still not done), in game server browser(still nothing), heavy server cpu usage and the ensuring lag in Warfare killed the game.

But we do have nice campaign videos which Epic must've made at great expense to make up for all of things above.

Even releasing a proper patched demo later with the flagship Warfare gametype maps could've brought in players. Instead, we got the Titan patch.

I sometimes wish UT3 didn't come out so that it wouldn't have split and killed the 2k4 community too.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCloud View Post
                      I sometimes wish UT3 didn't come out so that it wouldn't have split and killed the 2k4 community too.
                      Would have been better if 2k3 & 2k4 were never released either. Then we'd still have just the single UT99 community.

Comment

Originally posted by demoniac View Post
                        I dunno about changing the weapons... I mean, without shock combos it wouldn't be UT.
                        dmnc read the end of my other post. Then slap yourself. :>

Comment

Originally posted by Random54 View Post
                          Would have been better if 2k3 & 2k4 were never released either. Then we'd still have just the single UT99 community.
                          proof that you shouldnt change the formula of something so much between versions. The 2k UT games should have just been a different IP but then I never would have been involved in the UT community since my first UT was 2k3 (2k4 got me hooked, loved the cars)

Comment

Working...
                          X