Getting back in the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting back in the game

It's been a while since I last played UT3. I stopped playing because of real life stuff, I ****ing loved the game and missed the launch on steam which I thought was much needed because of so few players.

Anyway I have a couple questions:

Are there more players now? Is it all based on steam?
    I only have the original CD, do I need to purchase the expansion or may I download it for free?

Basically I want to start kicking-*** again, when I quit there was no expansion and the only decent edited UT3 frag movie was the adabracadabra

I don't have a steam account all I have is the original CD, so how do I get back in the game?

The Titan Pack and the latest patch (#5) can be downloaded for free (just as any other UT content).

Well, sadly it doesn't have more players, rather the opposite.

Steam is really not necessary, so you can install it with your CD, install the Titan Pack and the latest patch and start kicking ***** again

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply. I did notice the boards were a bit dead so I thought the player base might be quite low. I really don't understand why this game didn't make it big on the PC gaming platform. Such a good shooter that gets your adrenaline going and doesn't get boring - so many game modes! I have no idea what UT3 did wrong, the game seems flawless. Must have been awful marketing strategies.

What kind of player base are we talking then?

Comment

The standards were high, the forerunners Unreal, Unreal Tournament and UT2004 seemed to be flawless (I don't count UT2003 and Unreal 2, they both failed like UT3), on UT3's release it was quite bugged, at first this annoyed me too, I had to get used to those bugs and now I can successfully ignore them (oh and the Titan Pack and latest patch fixed some of them)
        Oh and then came the Titan mutator. The competitive players were really p***ed, but not just they were. I am no competitive player, I play for fun, but I hate the Titan mutator nonetheless. For me it breaks the game due to heavily unbalanced matches that's why I always play on non-Titan servers.
        Then the market changed. Consoles are in, PCs seem to be out. The consolized menu was a pain for the PC gamers and especially for the fans of the original UT (who are used to the Uwindow).
        And a sentence to sum up the reactions of the players on UT3's launch and gameplay by a wise person here on this forum:
        UT2k4 players: FFFUUUU! No dodgejump!
        UT99 players: There is double jump!? G*y!

See? that's why UT3 failed.
        (not exactly the same words he used but I couldn't find the post anymore so I had to think how it was)
        Oh and don't forget that the UT3 playerbase is split up into 3 parts: 1/3 of the players UT3 for PS3 and for Xbox and 2/3 of the players play UT3 on their PC (+ the playerbase is split up into 3 parts anyway: classic UT players, UT2k4 players, UT3 players - not to mention the 100-150 people who still play Unreal 1).
        And as we all know by now every second UT fails.
        This might be why UT3 failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolfin View Post
          Thanks for the fast reply. I did notice the boards were a bit dead so I thought the player base might be quite low. I really don't understand why this game didn't make it big on the PC gaming platform. Such a good shooter that gets your adrenaline going and doesn't get boring - so many game modes! I have no idea what UT3 did wrong, the game seems flawless. Must have been awful marketing strategies.

What kind of player base are we talking then?
          Depends where you live. I presume from your sig you're from the UK? If so the most popular gametype is WarFare, however the only populated server has the Titan Mutator which is kind of **** imo. However this server does quite often fill to all 32 slots. There is still a vCTF server going with a steady population and some BTA servers that see some action. I think I recall seeing a TDM servers with a few players on last night.

And I agree, idk why ut3 isn't more popular. I have been playing lots of military shooters these last few months (cod, bfbc2, and now homefront). Arena shooters are so superior. What's the fun in laying around on your stomach in the grass playing sniper for hours on end? I swear I spend more time in these games getting my stabs on, killing campers. It's quite meh. I played a UT3 public warfare game the other day and I loved it. Sure there was spam and titan-bs. But it sure beats being shot by some slow idiots sitting on the other side of the map, the type of players who just stare at you and lock up in close quarters.

Also UT3 had a free expansion pack.. FREE . Not some DLC rubbish where you have to pay some money for some half arsed maps. Hell if we want new maps we have plenty of good custom ones to pick from (check out the HOLP maps).

UT3 may of had a buggy release and it may of lacked proper options without ini editing at release. But god **** it's still better than the majority of these popular games people play.

edit: Also it's like Sly said. Ut3 was meant to be a mix of ut99 and ut04 feel. But both player groups disliked the movement as it wasn't what they were accustomed to. We even have a dodge-jump mutator now but ut04 players still dislike it because of UT3's gravity. You know, because ut04 gravity was so perfect, what with how you float around like a fairy.

Comment

Originally posted by azurescorch View Post
            We even have a dodge-jump mutator now but ut04 players still dislike it because of UT3's gravity. You know, because ut04 gravity was so perfect, what with how you float around like a fairy.
            thats not really the case. My opinion is that the UT3 vehicles lost the "balance" of what made ONS awesome in UT2k4.

I also think many people ENJOYED the hitscan dominance in UT2k4s shock rifle primary. Hellbender twin beams rocked also, the second seat in UT3 just doesnt feel right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanch3z View Post
              thats not really the case. My opinion is that the UT3 vehicles lost the "balance" of what made ONS awesome in UT2k4.

I also think many people ENJOYED the hitscan dominance in UT2k4s shock rifle primary. Hellbender twin beams rocked also, the second seat in UT3 just doesnt feel right.
              That's only one game type though :/
              Also all the weapons should be balanced... Two weapons shouldn't easily dominate over the rest. This is one of the reasons I couldn't get into ut04, I found there was little reason to use anything but shock or LG in any situation. Where as UT3 all the weapons are equally as useful depending on the situation.

Comment

just saying that many of the competitive players I knew in 2k4 (I played on Team Warfare League NA ladders) had no problem with the hitscan dominance. Nerfing the shock in UT3 made it feel like a totally different game than 2k4. Not looking to argue this point, its just a hypothesis I have of just another reason UT2k4 players didnt migrate to UT3.

you are exactly right, there was little reason to use any other weapon than shock rifle. But, if you practiced and perfected your aim with its primary fire, you were an *** kicking machine on the battlefield vs man and vehicles. And, hitscan is pure skill, not spammy like flak or rox. You HAD to be good at aiming because there werent as many openings for "luck shots" or random rocket that kills you in 2k4.

Comment

just saying that many of the competitive players I knew in 2k4 (I played on Team Warfare League NA ladders) had no problem with the hitscan dominance. Nerfing the shock in UT3 made it feel like a totally different game than 2k4. Not looking to argue this point, its just a hypothesis I have of just another reason UT2k4 players didnt migrate to UT3.

you are exactly right, there was little reason to use any other weapon than shock rifle. But, if you practiced and perfected your aim with its primary fire, you were an *** kicking machine on the battlefield vs man and vehicles. And, hitscan is pure skill, not spammy like flak or rox. You HAD to be good at aiming because there werent as many openings for "luck shots" or random rocket that kills you in 2k4.
                  I'm not looking to argue about this either so we're cool ;o
                  While flak and rox can be spammy, getting 1hit kills via landing a shot perfectly still takes some **** fine prediction. But I suppose I can see your point, especially for warfare/ons game types.
                  I still think it's a pretty crummy reason for people to not like ut3 though. If I had that mindset I'd of stuck with quake3.

Comment

I don't think the fact old UT players didn't transfer over is a big deal to the player base.

Clearly they didn't market enough at the general public. Old UT players would be a small population of gaming sales.

Comment

My thing with UT3 was style tho I enjoy it it felt heavy too heavy but being the UT nutcrack I am I stuck with it....

I love ONS on 04. Period.

So despite me being a UT all rounder playing any game type I felt more drawn to Warfare with UT3 after that DM\TDM was my second choice.

I love the way characters look in UT2004 and the floaty gameplay that being said UT3 felt different so I guess for alot of people some of these reasons combined for a refusal to stick with it or the inability to stray out of their comfort zone...
                      Couple that with a console release which some people moved on to created a smaller player base at launch of what it could have been, still there were more than enough for a healthy population but in between launch period\pre Titan game was pretty full but post titan pack release I dunno seems alot of people vanished (bad reaction to titan or titan not living to their expectations?).

Tho I did see alot of new comers to the franchise who ended up tired after a year or so of it and wanted something new.
                      I guess people just keep on the move they don't hold on to a game for long nowadays.

Which is a shame UT3 despite its uniqueness is pretty fun.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMaster View Post
                        post titan pack release I dunno seems alot of people vanished (bad reaction to titan or titan not living to their expectations?).
                        Yeah. I saw a lot of pre-titan players leave after titan. All these new players came, servers enabled titan due to demand, old dedicated players left. Then the new players got bored and left anyway.

I can only speak for warfare in the EU. But there was a really popular non-titan server. It went offline after which pub players who didn't want to play titan didn't really know where to flock to, they ended up spread thin across many servers and over time they stopped playing.

It's been attempted to get a non-titan server populated since then, last time we had more than enough interest. However when people want a quick game they're unlikely to come to a server with only 10 players on it, they'd rather go to the one that has the most players even if they dislike titan. It was the same with Raptor server before it went offline, it was laggy as hell and every one *****ed about it, yet people still went there because they knew it'd always be populated.

I can't speak for non warfare maps, but the two that came with the titanpack weren't that great. I mean hostile was nice in theory but in practice it's extremely unbalanced in favor of the necris side. As soon as you kill an enemy they've re-spawned just a few meters back. Cold-Harbor is pretty much a stinger-spam exclusive map, no one really uses anything else. It also become the home of spawn killing, with the whole match revolving around which team can spawn kill with titans the most.

Kind of gone off topic now, oh well :x

Comment

What concerns the other maps, I can only speak for CTF/vCTF and tbh, I don't like the new version of Face. It's too far aways from its roots and the fact that there are those emitters and tentacles at the blue side behind the tower make it very unbalanced. If you look at the blue tower you have at least 20 frames less the the other way around... this means one team has a disadvantage. Getting the flag is harder than delivering it (at least for me)
                          Face in space will always remain the best for me.

Comment

Agree rly.

Been playing quite a bit of ONS 2k4 recently, the shock is overused , but everyone's always accepted it and they're cool with it. Basically because, as you say, to wield it properly- against mantas or comboing scorpion drivers, actually takes some timing and aim - it's always been 'the' weapon of choice - UT's lightsabre -so why nerf it? Oh, and I loved the lightning gun in UT2004. I know someone made a good UT3 mod version, but it wasn't really widely taken up.

Many hate using flak to wear down an enemies health at medium distance (as happens in UT3) it's just tedious and seems wrong, same with UT3's minigun - so overpowered, deadly in open areas within seconds. They strengthened the other weapons and that was enough.

All that said the UT3 movement/weapon balance for DM is probably better , therein lies the problem; UT3 balance is best for DM imho , UT2004 weapon /vehicle balance is best for ONS/Warfare open environments.

Maybe they need different weapons , gravity based on gametype if UT4 ever happens.

Comment

Originally posted by azurescorch View Post
                              Yeah. I saw a lot of pre-titan players leave after titan. All these new players came, servers enabled titan due to demand, old dedicated players left. Then the new players got bored and left anyway.

I can only speak for warfare in the EU. But there was a really popular non-titan server. It went offline after which pub players who didn't want to play titan didn't really know where to flock to, they ended up spread thin across many servers and over time they stopped playing.

It's been attempted to get a non-titan server populated since then, last time we had more than enough interest. However when people want a quick game they're unlikely to come to a server with only 10 players on it, they'd rather go to the one that has the most players even if they dislike titan. It was the same with Raptor server before it went offline, it was laggy as hell and every one *****ed about it, yet people still went there because they knew it'd always be populated.

I can't speak for non warfare maps, but the two that came with the titanpack weren't that great. I mean hostile was nice in theory but in practice it's extremely unbalanced in favor of the necris side. As soon as you kill an enemy they've re-spawned just a few meters back. Cold-Harbor is pretty much a stinger-spam exclusive map, no one really uses anything else. It also become the home of spawn killing, with the whole match revolving around which team can spawn kill with titans the most.

Kind of gone off topic now, oh well :x
                              Raptor was based in the Netherlands iirc. Though when Epic War#1 was up, more often than not it was empty whereas Epic War#2 Titan, was mostly full.

Titan really has the feel of something that is aimed at pre-teens(sorry but it does), what with supersized players, growling and smashing the ground like a kid throwing a tantrum in a supermarket. Not to mention the auto aim roxs. It certainly did nothing for the PC player base long term, cannot say it ruined it though , because the PC player base was never that large anyway, not like UT2004's and certainly not like UT's.

Comment

Working...
                              X