geronaho needs help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

geronaho needs help!

I know this a game forum and not the best place to ask this but I am turning to my UNREAL community for help.

I need a new vid card for my pc. I am tired of playing a lego looking game. This is the only game I really play a lot of. I have plenty of room in my case and my power supply is good so that's not a issue. I want a good one but I don't want to get more than I will need for this. ATI 6 series? Is a 450 good enough?

OH and don't try to be sneaky and set me up with some rinky dink card. I will still boom headshot you and use my new titan hackz lolololol

UT3 relies on the processor more than the graphics card. A plain/decent graphics card will work fine, but if you got a nice processor, the game runs a lot better.

Comment

This game is pushing four years old, making it pretty ancient in terms of hardware requirements. Pretty much anything you will find on Newegg today will work.

Specifically anything made in 2007 or later will do just fine. I would personally suggest something like a Radeon HD 5770 or an early GeForce 400 series card. They're the earlier DirectX 11 cards so they're fairly low-budget now and still kick hard enough to last a few more years.

Comment

So you think a 5 series would run it maxed out with no hiccups? I want to be able to see my reflection on the tank

Comment

Originally posted by geronaho View Post
          So you think a 5 series would run it maxed out with no hiccups? I want to be able to see my reflection on the tank
          A Radeon 5k series will run it with max setting no problem. That's way ahead of what you need to get the game running smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gameslaya View Post
            UT3 relies on the processor more than the graphics card. A plain/decent graphics card will work fine, but if you got a nice processor, the game runs a lot better.
            +1

A 8800 GTX or better will run the game great. The prob is the game is VERY cpu limited. All those framerate dips will still be there if you have a gtx580 and a core2duo @ 2.6. The higher the clock speed and the more cache your cpu has the better.

So if it's only UT3 your looking to play and your GPU is better than an 8800GTX youre better off putting your money towards a new CPU or holding tight.

Comment

Well ye +1 of what the others said above about cpu demand etc...
              A simple 8800gt from the lastest editions will do the job very well (if u don't play with all settings maxed out) and if u don't have such a big screen (it's important aswell).
              What's ur screen+res. size?
              Without further infos, i would tend to go to a 8800gt (~50€ for a used one here, pretty cheap).
              If u plan to play something else though, i would go for sthg newer, u have now very good card for 100€ -120€.

Comment

On my old machine I was using an 8800GTX and I had no problems running the game at 1920x1200 and "max" settings (minus the annoying DoF/bloom). Sometimes on Downtown with a lot of the 15ft lamers ( ) around my fps could dip to ~35-40, but I think this was caused by the CPU as a GTX260 in the same machine experienced the same drops. Then again I don't really know if the 260 is faster, only years newer

My current machine gives me peak fps of ~350-400 on Serenity, and this I posted just to show you how overkill the current GPUs are for UT3.

Comment

geronaho, can you spec your current gpu & CPU / motherboard + RAM.
                  are you buying in US or EU ? also do you have an approx budget?
                  like the guys have said, CPU change may be better for now, and gpu later?
                  lol, you want to see my head squashed against the side of your tank as well as your reflection, I suspect?

Comment

This is what I am looking at building after looking online yesterday. US btw. No budget but don't want to get more than I need.

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1075T $189.99
                    MOBO - Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H $124.99 I want atx, usb 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s
                    RAM - Gold Series XTC Cooler 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) $39.99

I am going to use my current WD SATA 6Gb/s 1 tb drive, silencer psu and case. I am not going to do it now but eventually I will go SDD

I looked at the 5 series ATi cards but this 6850 wasn't off to much in price. Daimond 6850PE51G ATi Radeon HD 6850 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.1 x16 Video Card. It's $149.99 so it sounds reasonable?

Originally posted by Jetpack_Jack View Post
                    geronaho, lol, you want to see my head squashed against the side of your tank as well as your reflection, I suspect?
                    ef yeah! lololol

Comment

For bang-buck, something like this:

CPU - Core i5 2500K - $179.99 (in-store pickup only)
                      Mobo - ASRock P67 EXTREME4 B3 - $153.99
                      RAM - G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 - $44.99
                      GPU - (cheap) ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 (Open Box) - $118.99
                      Alternates to 6850 - ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 (Open Box) - $149.99
                      ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU TOP/2DIS/1GD5 (Open Box) - $168.99
                      CPU Cooler (for overclocking and quiet) - Scythe SCMG-2100 MUGEN-2 - $33.99

I don't want to get into a protracted explanation for these picks. You pay a little extra for these parts, but they should yield greater quality and performance than your current picks. I chose parts geared more towards budget overclocking, so if that isn't you then these parts won't matter so much. Still, I recommend the i5-2500K over the Phenom II X6 because you probably won't get good use out of those extra cores unless you already know you will be using programs that benefit from those cores beforehand. Also, by the time the appropriate software and games come out that would use 6 cores, superior 6+ core architectures will be available. If, however, you want to make these purchases for the long haul (5+ years), then it might be more of a toss-up between the processors.

I can't really say one way or another which GPU would be best for you as I don't pay close attention to that field, but the GTX 460 1GB, 5850, and 6850 should offer relatively close performance. Also, the Asus DirectCU and its TOP variant maintain a pretty good image for quality.

Comment

The HD6450 is a crappy DDR2 video card. It will not play UT3 with playable frame rates. It's a dirt cheap card good for internet browser and office tasks, nothing more.

Here is something to help you choose;

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...6990,2879.html

I would recommend HD6850 or GTX460 as "budget" gaming cards.

Comment

help help

I checked every box and turned everything up but I am only getting 60 fps. I had higher fps when I played lego style. It's been so long since I messed with my ini how do I unlock fps?

Comment

UTEngine.ini
                            bSmoothFrameRate=True
                            MinSmoothedFrameRate=0.000000
                            MaxSmoothedFrameRate=999.000000
                            Is what I use. You could also set smoothframerate to False (however for me that still limits me at 90fps for some reason).

Comment

I had to get a new card this weekend. I went with the 5770. I used this website to compare frames with my old card. I just wanted something to match my old one.

http://www.hwcompare.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X