Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Broadband Speed Not As Advertised

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadband Speed Not As Advertised

Just wondering if anyone else has these issues like I do, trying to figure out why my ADSL 5MB connection only alows me to download at a 3rd of the actually speed, with all things taken into consideration like where websites are located, where servers are located so if your pinging a server from afganistan and your in the USA, you wont be dl'ing at your max bandwith for obvious reasons, but pinging servers and speed tests inside my own state dont even reach more then 1.7MB on a 5MB connection. Is this an ISP fault? its supposed to be unlimited, so my net shouldn't be capped, I'd say it might be old house wiring, but i recently just moved from an old house that had charter, and sometimes i would get even faster speeds then i was supposed to, but that was cable 16MB connection.

I've tried to argue the situation with my ISP but i get the usual old **** about how they only advertise the speed is "UPTO" 5MB doesn't actually mean I will get that speed, which i can handle, but im not even getting a 2MB connection right now, and my upload is 0.10MB speed, which is slower then a dialup connection speed really. I have done various situation tests like switching the network cable around, taking the router out of the equation all together, turning off the other comp on the network, plugging the modem directly to the PC, without any gains aswell as the stupidly accelerator programs that didn't do anything either.

Phenom II X6 3.2ghz
    GTX 560ti
    8GB DDR3
    ASUS M4N75TD MOBO w/onboard network
    Windows 7 64bit
    BFG 1000WATT PSU

Pretty sure the slow bandwith isn't at my end, but dont know how to get my ISP (if i can) to sort out the speed. Here is their website http://www.atcjet.net/dsl.htm so you can see what kind of speeds they have, the main issue is that i cannot change ISP, im completely stuck with this isp as they are the only ISP in the whole area. My only other option really is to try wireless, but i would think that would be slower then a proper wired connection. I'd easierly go back to charter or try comcast, roadrunner, anyone if they would reach my area but they wont, tried for a long time to get someone else.

Sorry this post is long guys, but i'd be interested if someone could suggest a form of direction other then "moving", my current situation wont allow me to move right now. Be also interesting if you guys get your advertised speed also... Cheers for any advise

This is typical of anyone that lives too far from the central server when it comes to DSL. How far away are you?

The CO (Central Office). Distance is a major factor in ADSL technology. As you get farther away from the CO, your signal gets weaker and your connection speed gets slower. The limit for ADSL service is 18,000 feet (5,460 meters). Maximum downstream (Internet to customer) speeds are up to 8 megabits per second (Mbps) at a distance of about 6,000 feet (1,820 meters), and upstream speeds are up to 640 Kbps. So when you’re ordering your DSL, make sure to ask how far you are from your CO.

I copy/pasted from here: http://www.howitworks.net/how-dsl-in...ess-works.html

PS: I got off ADSL years ago and my cable always gives my advertised speeds, but I am in Canada so the US could be different. I've been with Shaw Cable(BEST EVER IMO), and now I'm with Rogers. I had Bell(DSL) at first when I moved last year, and it was GARBAGE!!! I found out that we were about 4km from the main office and that was why it was so bad. Then I quickly switched to Rogers(only other option) and have been fine ever since. I really wish I could get Shaw here where I live now. I miss my 50mb connection.

Comment

I cannot say for sure, but if i had to take a guess, maybe half a mile maybe a lil less... and yeah i had already thought about that, which could be an issue aswell, i think they only have one tower that controls the whole area, dunno if thats normal or not.

Comment

Originally posted by VACkillers View Post
        I cannot say for sure, but if i had to take a guess, maybe half a mile maybe a lil less... and yeah i had already thought about that, which could be an issue aswell, i think they only have one tower that controls the whole area, dunno if thats normal or not.
        It could also be bandwidth congestion issues if they are tring to feed too many people. Is it faster/better at different times of the day? It could also mean that they badly need to upgrade their grid/hardware. Sorry to say, but it's probally still better than what you would get with satelite/wireless.

Comment

yea i looked into that heh.. as far as different times nope, same speed no matter what time of day, 10am 6pm or 12 midnight, makes no difference... yeah theres probably not a lot i can do really

Comment

yea i looked into that heh.. as far as different times nope, same speed no matter what time of day, 10am 6pm or 12 midnight, makes no difference... yeah theres probably not a lot i can do really
            You should ask to have your cable prs checked, any leaky or grounded pairs, hi resistance open (hiro) shiner or a wet splice can mess you up. Is it noticably worse in the rain? You will probably have to be very persistent to get them to send a cable tech out. Good luck, my dsl is 3mbs down and 786k up, sucksess.

Comment

Dsl sucks unless your within a few blocks of the host. Call them out and have them check your speeds outside. I would say you are way to far and should expect 2meg at the most. You really need cable or fiber optic to substain 5 meg. yeah it sucks when your phone is faster than your landline internetz lololol

edit

Also you didn't mention your modem. A lot of motos go out too.

Comment

ok yea sorry guys shoulda mentioned that part, its a cheap sh!tty speedstreem 4200. No difference in speed if its wet/windy/rainy or snow. Yep by the looks of it im just simply too far away from the main central office, even tho its not a very big town, more like a ghost town really, would going wireless make any difference at all?

Comment

you may want to try a program like one of these to optimize the settings on your machine.

http://majorgeeks.com/geek_search.ht...ads2.html#1212

Comment

Just wondering if anyone else has these issues like I do, trying to figure out why my ADSL 5MB connection only alows me to download at a 3rd of the actually speed, with all things taken into consideration like where websites are located, where servers are located so if your pinging a server from afganistan and your in the USA, you wont be dl'ing at your max bandwith for obvious reasons, but pinging servers and speed tests inside my own state dont even reach more then 1.7MB on a 5MB connection. Is this an ISP fault? its supposed to be unlimited, so my net shouldn't be capped, I'd say it might be old house wiring, but i recently just moved from an old house that had charter, and sometimes i would get even faster speeds then i was supposed to, but that was cable 16MB connection.

I've tried to argue the situation with my ISP but i get the usual old **** about how they only advertise the speed is "UPTO" 5MB doesn't actually mean I will get that speed, which i can handle, but im not even getting a 2MB connection right now, and my upload is 0.10MB speed, which is slower then a dialup connection speed really. I have done various situation tests like switching the network cable around, taking the router out of the equation all together, turning off the other comp on the network, plugging the modem directly to the PC, without any gains aswell as the stupidly accelerator programs that didn't do anything either.

Phenom II X6 3.2ghz
                    GTX 560ti
                    8GB DDR3
                    ASUS M4N75TD MOBO w/onboard network
                    Windows 7 64bit
                    BFG 1000WATT PSU

Pretty sure the slow bandwith isn't at my end, but dont know how to get my ISP (if i can) to sort out the speed. Here is their website http://www.atcjet.net/dsl.htm so you can see what kind of speeds they have, the main issue is that i cannot change ISP, im completely stuck with this isp as they are the only ISP in the whole area. My only other option really is to try wireless, but i would think that would be slower then a proper wired connection. I'd easierly go back to charter or try comcast, roadrunner, anyone if they would reach my area but they wont, tried for a long time to get someone else.

Sorry this post is long guys, but i'd be interested if someone could suggest a form of direction other then "moving", my current situation wont allow me to move right now. Be also interesting if you guys get your advertised speed also... Cheers for any advise
                    i have exactly the same problem as u mate (singe years....) and what i found is that my farm is just too far from all with a too long "cable"...too far from the central server as suggested sincreator....no way to get more with extra connections like satelite or so.....frustrating because the D/L speed and the ping are doing constant and randomly up& downs....ping between 60 and 220 and jumping from thoses values with the light speed....
                    my sister live in a "far" farm too...same story....the joke is that we have a speedway very close with optical all along its way...but no access...lol...i m going to do a "hole" one day..haha
                    we have better pings & speed late...very late in the night when everyone around us is asleep
                    gl to fix that

Comment

Working...
                    X