Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Games Similar to Unreal Tornament 3/Unreal Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new Section8 is looking extremely tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by azurescorch View Post
      Late reply, but oh god yes GFWL is the worst thing ever. I spent more time messing around with GFWL than playing Batman:AA (didn't like it tbh).

I bought homefront recently which uses steam. It was no better. HF wasn't available in the UK via steam store so I had to buy a hardcopy. What's more is my net was cut off the day I got it. So I had a disk sitting around and no way to play the **** game. After I ran the disk it didn't even install anything! I still had to download all the game data from steam!? what the hell?! On top of this some times steam messes up and offline mode doesn't work, very annoying during network outages.

Like DRM works anyway. A certain IP that uses the Unreal engine with GFWL was bypassed in under 24 hours. Complete waste of time and an inconvenience for legit customers
      Dumb Retarded Mess.

There is 0 point in DRM, why? because it gets cracked. I don't give a **** what people think Ubisoft for one claiming they solved piracy by having online auth servers, nope, all they did is emulate the server. Cracked without issue. It's a way to just **** off legit consumers. Get rid of it and not only do you get more sales but happier customers without DRM issues plaguing games.

Pirates will be pirates, hackers will hack and idiots will be idiots. You won't ever stop it, so why bother trying?

Comment

Originally posted by Cr4zy View Post
        Dumb Retarded Mess.

There is 0 point in DRM, why? because it gets cracked. I don't give a **** what people think Ubisoft for one claiming they solved piracy by having online auth servers, nope, all they did is emulate the server. Cracked without issue. It's a way to just **** off legit consumers. Get rid of it and not only do you get more sales but happier customers without DRM issues plaguing games.

Pirates will be pirates, hackers will hack and idiots will be idiots. You won't ever stop it, so why bother trying?
        I'll drink to that.

Comment

Originally posted by B0T0X View Post
          This. I am primarily a flag-runner. Running flags is an art form. It combines aggression and accuracy with movements and tactics. You don't get a flag home because you're deadly accurate (because in high-level play, so is everyone else). You get it home with persistence, exemplary movement and excellent teamwork. ...but the movement is what separates a runner from everyone else. It's the movement! I openly admit that UT2k4's movement is a bit chaotic, but as a runner, even within the UT series, it took some adjusting knowing I couldn't do dodge-double jumps or ramp jumps. Every additional jump or movement I can use to juke an opponent is another tool I can use. ...that's the problem with current FPSs. We have the skills, but lack the tools. Everyone gets the same rubber mallet. ...but what if you work well with a scalpel?

I played CTF in Halo once. It was painful. ...having to throw the flag to move faster? ...Only melee attacks? ... Ridiculous.
          Wow, it's like I'm reading a post I wrote! A brother in arms! I was a great flag-runner (if I say so myself) and loved the early UT game. 2004 ruined it for me: I didn't like the movement AND it started a decline of people playing Classic and eventually all the clans died out and people stopped playing at all. Man, I still have dreams about some of my runs, or of the maps... when you are running the flag, you are often running backwards to provide your own fire, but you've got a few moves at your disposal: the double side jumps, the pause-then jump, the Top Gun move where you suddenly jump towards the guys running at you and in the chaos, hopefully take them out....

I miss it and wish it would come back. Low G, Instagib was my world and I ruled it!

Do you know of anyone still playing online?

Comment

All Genres (be it music or games, or art) have ****, and then they have the good stuff.
            Its all about the skill and the innovation of the developers, and how much they care about making a good product.
            FPS: Unreal, Half Life
            Strategy: Total War, command and Conquer, Age of Empires, sins of a solar empire
            Simulation: Arma, MechWarrior

Dumb Retarded Mess.

Oh yea, and this is sooo true.

Comment

Okay, here is the list in my opinion to sort all things out.

www.quakelive.com - Quakelive
              Quake 1/Quakeworld
              Quake2
              Quake3 and Quake 3 CPMA
              Quake 4

Unreal (original)
              Unreal 2 - The Awakening
              Unreal Tournament (UT99)
              Unreal Tournament 2003(Dead)
              Unreal Tournament 2004(UT2k4, UT2003 Revamped)
              Unreal Tournament 3(The game we all love)

Painkiller(The original) - BEST dueling game ever?
              Nexuiz

Doom 1 and 2
              Doom 3

Comment

Dumb Retarded Mess.

Amen to this. When a game comes out I look for what it requires. If Steam is involved-NO SALE. If I buy a game, I should be able to play it without reporting to some third party.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper View Post
                  Amen to this. When a game comes out I look for what it requires. If Steam is involved-NO SALE. If I buy a game, I should be able to play it without reporting to some third party.
                  DRM for single player I think has been proven not to work. If I'm a dev making single player games, I'd be making them for console only. The PC crowed pirates so much I think you'd lose more from your ps3/xbox sales then you'd make up for in your PC sales. PC gamers need to understand that if they don't start paying for games, they won't have anything to play.

Having some sort of system to prevent pirated copies from playing online I think is completely valid. This is currently the most effective way for devs to make sure people pay for copies of their game. Can you pirate SC2? Yes. Can you play it online? Kinda, but not really. For most, online play is the reason to buy the game so blizzard continues to sell copies. UT3 involved a similar system to protect itself, although some admins decided increased traffic was worth allowing people with illegitimate UT3 keys to join their server. Thankfully this is not something practiced in North America as far as I can tell.

With all that said I'd love to see a game that's subscription only some how. Hopefully this would be done via a netflix/gamefly subscription service (so you actually have access to multiple games for your money). If this happens then devs will be rewarded for making games that people put thousands of hours into. At the moment devs are better off making games that people play for a week or two then move on which is bad for area shooters, yet perfect for games like gears/bulletstorm. It also means devs are likely to support the game much longer. This would mean more content, less bugs, and more balancing. I'd pay a monthly fee to play my fav game as well as dabble in a few others that are released.

Novaz, your list is good but I'd change it a touch:

Doom 1/2 are 2d games not 3d (they z axis is fake in both games). If those games qualify then so would descent which was a true 3d shooter yet involved flying in 0g. Imo the the genera started with Quake as far as online play goes. I did play doom/doom2/decent by modem but I wouldn't compare their gameplay to that of quake games.

I tried painkiller but something about it just wasn't fun for me. It may have been decent for duel since it had no hitscan but it couldn't compete with quake/ut for fun factor.

There are actually 2 games with the name Nexuiz. I'd list it as Nexuiz Darkplaces and Nexuiz Cry3. The soon to be released cry3 version is based on the darkplaces version but could be as different as 2k4 was to ut99.

Serious Sam 1/2/3 could arguably make the list although they are by no means competitive.

Duke3d?

Warsow should be included. I don't like the mechanics much but its definitely a competitive FPS based on the darkplaces engine.

Comment

Tribes: Ascend will be filling the gap for me until the next Unreal Tournament

Comment

Originally posted by ummie4 View Post
                      Tribes: Ascend will be filling the gap for me until the next Unreal Tournament
                      Tribes, TF/TF2, and Section 8 are designed with team play in mind (despite there being other play modes available). Good games, but not really arena shooters.

Comment

I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned Transformers: War for Cybertron. Allthough it was a console port, it was still a ton of fun. The story is based on Generation 1 transformers, not the movies. It uses UE3, and ALOT of the weapons/abilities are very similar to Unreal Championship 2. The weapons and abilities may not be named the same, but most are exactly like they were in UC2. So if you ever played UC2 then you would feel right at home. Honestly if I were to guess TWFC probally started out in the early stages as UC3 but at some point got sold off and turned into a transformer title, there's just to many similarities to UC2 in the gameplay. Well here is a few vids to check out either way:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/mu...mers-war/65224 Multiplayer overview trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/mu...mers-war/64243 Mutiplayer classes trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/on...mers-war/60793 One shall stand trailer.

Too bad High moon studios didn't do more for the PC version though(patches/DLC/Editor). I would of loved to of seen what the mod community could of done with this. Sucks it did so bad in sales on the PC that the sequel is now console only.....

Comment

Check this one;

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ce...-nexuiz/725727

Comment

Originally posted by oakz View Post
                            That's the new Nexuiz. I mentioned it in my previous post as Nexuiz Cry3 to differentiate it from Nexuiz 2.5

Comment

Originally posted by oakz View Post
                              I think that's Blitz in that video... what a noob.

Comment

http://hardresetgame.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X