Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Games Similar to Unreal Tornament 3/Unreal Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painkiller is quite nice, it's like Serious Sam in hell (never played the multiplayer mode though). But it's not really a futuristic shooter like the Unreal series.

Comment

Painkiller was fun in its day. Some of the levels are showing their age and look extremely dated now.

The real problem when trying to find games that give the same buzz as UT is, there virtually aren't any in which the importance of good movement is critical to success. In most FPSs you move like a brick -they're about aim and cover - UT's emphasis on precise key tapping to execute moves, combined with the need for good aim, is what makes it so much more enjoyable than the other shooters imho.

This was my point about dumbing things down. If a UT had Quake 4 movement in a silly attempt to widen appeal , it would make for a terrible game however good the DX? graphics looked.

Comment

Quake Live is the only credible alternative to UT3 (and older members of the UT series) for fast-paced arcade multiplayer fun.

And don't even mention COD to me because POS military shooters don't count (although I loves me a game of Bad Company 2, so that last statement is perhaps a bit of an exaggeration)!

Comment

Originally posted by Gameslaya View Post
          I just got Starcraft 2 recently, and I find that Age of Empires II is still a better game.

I mean, jeez, there are NO formations, NO group movement controls, NO randomly generated maps. That's just sad since AoE did this over ten ****ing years ago.
          If you like RTS, you should try the excellent Sins of a Solar Empire. It's a 4x-RTS that's about strategy and it's not a clickfest. There are 4v4 and 5v5 games on the Diplomacy expansion though you do have to wait for games to fill and they're only around during prime time. You could also wait for the upcoming stand-alone Sins Rebellion game that is supposed to come out in late 2011. (Could also get in on the Beta earlier.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nono View Post
            The real problem when trying to find games that give the same buzz as UT is, there virtually aren't any in which the importance of good movement is critical to success. In most FPSs you move like a brick -they're about aim and cover - UT's emphasis on precise key tapping to execute moves, combined with the need for good aim, is what makes it so much more enjoyable than the other shooters imho.
            This. I am primarily a flag-runner. Running flags is an art form. It combines aggression and accuracy with movements and tactics. You don't get a flag home because you're deadly accurate (because in high-level play, so is everyone else). You get it home with persistence, exemplary movement and excellent teamwork. ...but the movement is what separates a runner from everyone else. It's the movement! I openly admit that UT2k4's movement is a bit chaotic, but as a runner, even within the UT series, it took some adjusting knowing I couldn't do dodge-double jumps or ramp jumps. Every additional jump or movement I can use to juke an opponent is another tool I can use. ...that's the problem with current FPSs. We have the skills, but lack the tools. Everyone gets the same rubber mallet. ...but what if you work well with a scalpel?

I played CTF in Halo once. It was painful. ...having to throw the flag to move faster? ...Only melee attacks? ... Ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
              If you like RTS, you should try the excellent Sins of a Solar Empire. It's a 4x-RTS that's about strategy and it's not a clickfest. There are 4v4 and 5v5 games on the Diplomacy expansion though you do have to wait for games to fill and they're only around during prime time. You could also wait for the upcoming stand-alone Sins Rebellion game that is supposed to come out in late 2011. (Could also get in on the Beta earlier.)
              I already got SoaSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Aldaron07 View Post
                There was always Tribes and Tribes 2 too. But they have a different way of being faster than the current trend than Unreal and Quake. Instead of jumping around you use your jetpack and "ski" on down slopes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wgwwpbh91Q
                Legions is a free and fun version of Tribes. (a donation to the team would be cool though!)

http://www.legionsoverdrive.com/download/

Comment

And also, why not try the Tribes series? It's kind of like Unreal Tournament except that you have jet packs and you have to "ski" across the terrain. Tribes: Vengeance uses a grappling hook that's fun for making quick turns.

My only complaint against Tribes is that it's highly team-work oriented. Shame, cause I prefer plain old deathmatch more than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                    Originally posted by Aldaron07
                    There was always Tribes and Tribes 2 too. But they have a different way of being faster than the current trend than Unreal and Quake. Instead of jumping around you use your jetpack and "ski" on down slopes.
                    Legions is a free and fun version of Tribes. (a donation to the team would be cool though!)

Whoops, apparently Tribes has already been mentioned.

Comment

There's also Tribes: Ascend (FPS) and Tribes Universe (MMOFPS) being developed by Hi-Rez Studios, the same team behind Global Agenda. With any luck, and by including modding support, they might capture some of that spark.

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post

when even flak is typing about a other game similar too ut
                        then ut thing will be over

Comment

Originally posted by coolcat22 View Post
                          when even flak is typing about a other game similar too ut
                          then ut thing will be over
                          Nobody likes a Debby Downer!

I look forward to when UT4 comes out so all of you naysayers can eat your words.

LAAAAANG LEEEEEEV UNREAL TOURNAMENT

Comment

Xonotic. Been playing that since the GNU+Linux community decided Epic gave up on the promised port of UT3.

Comment

Legions is a cool game that Flak mentioned. You all should get the game and give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal4Eva View Post
                                Legions is a cool game that Flak mentioned. You all should get the game and give it a try.
                                Yeah, I just tried it out of curiosity. It's a bit bare bones, but the game mechanics are very solid, perhaps better than Tribes, even. It's pretty hard to master, but the current players don't mind showing you the ropes if the game is in "not enough players" mode.

Comment

Working...
                                X