Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Games Similar to Unreal Tornament 3/Unreal Series?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games Similar to Unreal Tornament 3/Unreal Series?

Hey I know that UT3 has not had a lot of people on it, which is a shame because it's a really fun game to play. I personally enjoy it for the fact that it is not just about killing people with guns. It has vehicles and the game itself is very moddable when it comes to coding and making levels. This comes in to my next question. Are there any decently popular first or third person shooters games which everyone can legally mod for fun and also has other features like vehicles in it as well?

UT2004. That's all. But it's an Unreal game.
    There are no fast paced sci-fi single player shooters like Unreal and arena shooters like Unreal Tournament anymore except for Unreal and UT (makes sense ). And only UE games are easy to mod for (at least for me).

Comment

You know, it's crazy that you mention this, because I was just talking about this with a clan-mate last night; a noobie jumped on our server, got stomped, and said the game lacked depth, we all lul'd at him 'till he ragequit, but it spawned a discussion with me and a clanmate about modern gaming...

There are no other twitch shooters... All we have are slow-as-slugs console-centered games like Halo, CoD, Battlefield, Crysis, and (OH NO HE DI'IN'T) Gear of War.

The trend that game developers are following is disturbing... I'm confident that if they threw as many marketing dollars toward a franchise like UT as they do toward all of the other generic screen-turns-red-when-shot games, twitch shooters could be big again and developers would start making them again.

As it is now, I just see the skill ceiling getting lower and lower, preventing truly skilled players from reaching their potential. Starcraft raised the bar for RTS play and Starcraft 2 brought that genre back to life (even if the skill ceiling was, perhaps, lowered slightly).

I readily anticipate the rejuvination of twitch shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by B0T0X View Post
        You know, it's crazy that you mention this, because I was just talking about this with a clan-mate last night; a noobie jumped on our server, got stomped, and said the game lacked depth, we all lul'd at him 'till he ragequit, but it spawned a discussion with me and a clanmate about modern gaming...

There are no other twitch shooters... All we have are slow-as-slugs console-centered games like Halo, CoD, Battlefield, Crysis, and (OH NO HE DI'IN'T) Gear of War.

The trend that game developers are following is disturbing... I'm confident that if they threw as many marketing dollars toward a franchise like UT as they do toward all of the other generic screen-turns-red-when-shot games, twitch shooters could be big again and developers would start making them again.

As it is now, I just see the skill ceiling getting lower and lower, preventing truly skilled players from reaching their potential. Starcraft raised the bar for RTS play and Starcraft 2 brought that genre back to life (even if the skill ceiling was, perhaps, lowered slightly).

I readily anticipate the rejuvination of twitch shooters.

Too true, huge gap in the market at the moment.

The real problem is, there is a correlation between cost of development and the lowering of skill levels required to play - to broaden appeal -at least that's the theory.

Basically no one has been willing to put out a major AAA game that takes ages to get simply reasonable at, nevermind good at. I always immediately set every game I buy to the hardest difficulty setting, confidently knowing that it won't be all that challenging, it shouldn't be like that. PC gaming certainly wasn't 10 -15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by B0T0X View Post
          tbh CoD4 is one of the best FPS games released since 07. Although there are a ton of noobs who sit in corners. It doesn't mean it's a slow paced sluggish game. You can rush that game to hell and come out on top no problem. Then there's promod, which does what it says on the tin.

There is Quake Live, or maybe even Warsow?

Comment

There was always Tribes and Tribes 2 too. But they have a different way of being faster than the current trend than Unreal and Quake. Instead of jumping around you use your jetpack and "ski" on down slopes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wgwwpbh91Q

Comment

It shouldn't take ages for a person to get good at a game. They might've gotten away with it when they were the only players in the market, but you have to realize the grand majority of people want to play videogames, ehm, for fun. It's only the very minuscule minority that is willing to burn extra time into mastering something with absolutely zero prospects / future (unless you == progamer).
              Epic can't just skim the forums and appeal to a bunch of hardcore fans with twisted perspectives, before going bankrupt.

Comment

I will only say something:

Modern gaming: Kids want a gun to kill everything and to not need to do **** to win the game, they don't want to make an effort to win, they want to win without it.

Comment

And that's why CoD and such games are successful (d*mn you CoD!).
                  Killstreaks, camping, slow movement, no hp bar (just a stupid flashing screen), a lot of time to aim. Did I mention killstreaks already?
                  Those are things that I'd never like to see in any of the Unreal games! NEVER!!!

Modern gaming s***s. Hopefully Epic will make a new Unreal game someday... When the playerbase of UT dies (I seriously hope not but no gamer lives forever - same for the games) I don't want to spend my time with bots or even modern games!

Comment

Hey if they refere fast paced games as 'twitch games', then is there an official name to games which can be simply modded by anyone who plays it like the unreal series?

Comment

I just got Starcraft 2 recently, and I find that Age of Empires II is still a better game.

I mean, jeez, there are NO formations, NO group movement controls, NO randomly generated maps. That's just sad since AoE did this over ten ****ing years ago.

Still a fun game, though, I'll give it that.

As for the topic at hand, I prefer having just Unreal Tournament as its own franchise anyway. Any other arena shooters won't have the Shock Rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by jomi294 View Post
                        It shouldn't take ages for a person to get good at a game. They might've gotten away with it when they were the only players in the market, but you have to realize the grand majority of people want to play videogames, ehm, for fun. It's only the very minuscule minority that is willing to burn extra time into mastering something with absolutely zero prospects / future (unless you == progamer).
                        Epic can't just skim the forums and appeal to a bunch of hardcore fans with twisted perspectives, before going bankrupt.
                        Haha +1, I approve this message.

Comment

Games simular to the UT series in the way that its more fast passed and not a military FPS, that are new coming out, theres probably at least two that i can think off this year, Duke Nukem Forever, and Serious Sam 3, i dont know if Doom 4 will be out this year or not, i guess we'd have to wait and see. Dont know if another quake is in the works or not but thats all i can think of from the top of my head right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Infra` View Post
                            Haha +1, I approve this message.
                            People don't go bankrupt from releasing what by your definition would be elitist products, not after putting their soul into an original concept or idea. This, however 'difficult' the game is to play. They go bankrupt when they compromise their vision for broad appeal, aka, dumbing down. Think of the many original 1st films and TV series where this has happened.

Does anyone really dispute the idea, that the best films or games, the ones that stand the test of time, don't assume the viewer or player is as dumb as a stump?

Comment

I think there are some shooters which are kind of similar to Unreal/UT.

Take a look at these:
                              • Painkiller
                              • Prey
                              • Pariah

Comment

Working...
                              X