Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merge Unreal Championship and Unreal Tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merge Unreal Championship and Unreal Tournament?

Just an idea that I'd like to throw out there for everyone to think about. Merge both Unreals into one big game, with the best from both series included. Some may have some major reservations about it, but just hear me out first. Thank you.

First off, I would like to see a few of the UC characteristics bought to the game, like the adrenaline system once again. This time though have it go back to the old pill style pickups all over the map, so anyone can get them(even noobs) and have the ability to use character specific powerups(more on that in a bit) when they are at a certain level. It will also take alot of the camping out of the game.

Secondly I would also like to see different classes bought into the game with different attributes that let people play whatever style they want/prefer. Not too many different classes, say 3 tops. Light, Medium, and Heavy. The lighter characters would be based around mobility and speed with 3/4 adrenaline abilities that would cater to those attributes. Also maybe one quick melee attack to stun someone long enough to get to safety or finish the job. The Medium characters would be good in offense and defense and have adrenaline abilities to match those attributes. Also a medium range melee attack that deals a decent amount of damage, say about half a rocket's worth. The Heavy characters would be a little slow and clunky but have better defensive abilities. Their adrenaline abilities would make there weapons stronger and add a little extra armor. They would have a powerfull melee attack up close that equals about a rockets worth of damage. All the melee attacks should be some sort of humiliation weapon basically. In every situation you would have to approach it differently, which I believe would also add a bit more excitment to the gameplay.

Third I would like to see the story(Tournament) be like it is in Unreal Championship 2. IT'S ACTUALLY A STORY ABOUT A TOURNAMENT. It was a good story too. This time the story though it has to be EPIC(pardon the pun.lol) like the GOW story. Something that can actually build some hype with the new gamers and add a new face to the Unreal world. Which I really belive it needs amongst all the fans of the "other" ultra popular games out there. I'm sorry Flak I know I'm not supposed to make comparisons of games here and I will edit this if I need too. I have been playing TWFC(Transformers: War for Cybertron). The game is ALOT like Unreal, half the reviews even compared to 2 games, but that's beside's the point. All kinds of new gamers are coming in all the time, saying that they would rather be in TWFC anyday over the "other" big name titles out there. They love the mechanics, and the fast adrenaline pumping gameplay and are getting bored with the same recycled games. The game had a face that was easily reconized by today's youth because of the popular movie/cartoon franchise. Unreal needs a face like that, that can only come from an EPIC story that brings people to the game before it even releases. Look at what the Mad, Mad, World trailer did for Gears of War. Anyway moving on....

Forth I would like to see the gamemodes and vehicles stay from the UT series as well, but with the adrenaline those gamemodes could get VERY interesting. If done right If they wanted to, the story could consist of a multi world tournament, where different worlds were actually involved and fighting it out on the battlefield fighting for control of different planets/resources.

Fifth, I would like to see this game come out built as a PC game with the console port done after. No more holding back to make sure a console can handle it first. Just remove the stuff that the console can't handle and keep the story+bulk of the game intact. Sacrifice with lower quality textures at lower resolutions if need be to get it working over there. Graphics aren't always everything, as long as the gameplay is good.

Sixth I would also like to keep Auto-Aim/Aim Assist as far away as possible and have the hitboxes the proper size like in UT3 PC. Have fully customizable controls, and support for as many different devices as possible.(controllers and gamepads) It would just mean more people to the fight, right? Then maybe by that time the consoles will have full support for the KB/M as well, and we could get some cross-platform action going as well. I'm assuming the next Unreal will come after the next gen consoles appear.

And finally one last thing. I'm almost afraid to suggest this one....... GFWL/Steamworks or some other online platform that has FULL support for voice chat, friends list's, and the ability to send messages back and forth without issue. In a team based game the voice chat is a must, and every player should have easy access to it. It absolutly should also have full dedicated server support, so that would probally rule out GFWL right there since they don't usually allow that sort of thing. Well.....GOW 3 they are so it's not entirely impossible.

Thanks for reading my little rant. This is just where I think personally the Unreal world should go in the future. If anyone has any suggestions/changes they would like to add, go for it. I'm always up for new ideas.

2k3 and 2k4 had adrenaline
    GOW can get stuffed
    UT obviously had the tournament story
    UT3's hitboxes are NOT the right size
    This is a PC game at heart, Why mention aim assist? UC is a mere console spinoff.
    GFWL? Are you joking?
    We already have server support, just it's hard for random players to set them up because the ports are screwed up.

To be honest, ut should have no more future if it's going to be some messed up 3rd person **** with kinect features.

Comment

UT should remain "storyless". Just a tournament (and a comeback of Xan) should be enough (although some additional cutscenes, interviews and such stuff could be quite interesting).

If there shall be a story they should make Unreal 3 instead with coop support (and at least some references to Prisoner 849, the Grand Tournament and some actions and places from either U1 or U2 (I'd prefer U1)). As a promo for a possible UT4 a new Unreal (U3) could be the way to go. This would satisfy those who want a story (with coop) and the multiplayer fans could play UT.

Aim assist will make the game boring. Where is the skill? It's almost like playing with an aimbot.

Adrenaline... as long as it doesn't have overpowered combos and you can pick up the pills on maps then okay.

UT3 had messed up hitboxes imo.

No platforms like GFWL or anything like that -and NO GAMESPY! Never anymore!ಠ_ಠ
      Sorry.. just overreacted because I had some bad experiences with Gamespy in the past *cough*like the DLE*cough*...

However, I don't think these two franchises should be mixed. UT3 was a console and PC game. Sadly it wasn't very successful and had many issues at the beginning and it split the community up into 3 parts, Xbox, PS3 and PC players. The playerbase seems smaller on each of the platforms because of this (apart from the fact that it flopped after the release) and neither PC nor console players were completely satisfied.

If I could change something then I would revive the UC series for the console players that want their own UT and make UT a pure PC game with a new Unreal game (PC game with console port, not the other way round) every time before a new UT gets released.

Comment

So in other words guys, you want to just keep the 2-300 players that are still stuck in 1999, or the 3-400 that are in UT2004 around only? For a game to be economical it has to cater to other people besides the elites. Hopefully Epic are smarter than that, because doing so will eventually lead to the complete death of the Unreal series IMO. Back in 99 the game had a WOW effect, but now it's been done a hundred times over in all kinds of different FPS twitch style games. I play both on the console and on the PC for the Unreal series, and they are both great. Here's a scenario to mull over...Noob joins room, noob goes 1 kill 20 deaths over and over again. Noob throws game in garbage because it only caters to a select few. Noob goes and tells noob friends to stay away because the game is only for the elites and they don't stand a chance. Game sells 20-50,000 copies and is a dismal failure compared to what it cost to make the game. Scenario #2, game comes out with a bunch of new and inovative features. The elitists don't like change so they bash the game everywhere they can, ultimately leading to a PC boycott of Unreal since it's now dubbed as a console port. What a joke.....

So with UT3 the elites got most of what they were asking for and then those guys were the first to complain when the game came out. We gots to have UT99/UT2004 back again, cause I was good at it and that's the way it should be. Who cares about the millions of other people that want something different/fresh/new. It's not like video games are a business or anything right? Just make the game for a select few and lose tons of money in the process. Eventually Epic goes console 100%, and probally rightfully so since those gamers seem to be alot more open to new ideas then the old school guys are. I hate to even say it, but THIS IS A BUSINESS. Last I checked business's want a sucessfull product that makes money, not a game that got people screaming for thier money back or not even bothering to look because they know that there is a crew that have been playing for 10+ years just waiting to destroy them when they get there.

Im so sick of PC players that are ANTI anything that's not PC exclusive. I could care less if a game is ported from a console as long as it's good. I could care less if they support more than just the KB/M, as long as it adds more players to the servers. I could care less about GFWL/Steam as long as it works and gives everyone a VERY easy way to communicate, connect, and play with each other. Such a joke it all is. Lame really.

So basically it's the same old arguement from the PC side. Console's suck and nothing good can ever come from them, so keep UC away from UT because it's a console game and all console games suck. Keep the console **** away or we will bash it to death regardless if it's good or not. LOL. All I see in the other threads is to bring UT back to the past Unreal tournament games, I think it's time for a fresh start. Innovation drives the gaming business, and Unreal used to be the one game that advanced WAY beyond all the other shooters out there. Now the game has taken a step backwards. Not a good idea IMO. If people want to play UT99/UT2004 then go there and play.

PS: I was saying to NOT have aim assist, like they had in the console versions. So I don't know where you guys thought I was saying to have it.

Comment

I never said that UC is a bad game. I've played both UC games (I don't own them though). I was amazed by it BUT I think that they should differenciate between console and PC games. Mixing them both up is a bad idea. UC was the UT for console, optimized for the console only. UT was a PC game, developed and optimized for PC.
          See what I'm trying to say? Making a game on both platforms and optimizing it for both platforms will not be able without negative sideeffects (see UT3).

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
            I never said that UC is a bad game. I've played both UC games (I don't own them though). I was amazed by it BUT I think that they should differenciate between console and PC games. Mixing them both up is a bad idea. UC was the UT for console, optimized for the console only. UT was a PC game, developed and optimized for PC.
            See what I'm trying to say? Making a game on both platforms and optimizing it for both platforms will not be able without negative sideeffects (see UT3).
            +1

Consoles and PCs are different. The online experience for both is different. What works well for one is often a source of complaint for the other. UT3 is a perfect example of what happens when you try and make a competitive game good for both without heavy optimizations. No one plays either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
              UT3 went backwards instead of forwards, which was the problem IMO. Not the console....Most PC players will always blame the console if it comes out on it for it's shortcomings. Even if it is a good game the downfalls will be blamed on the console. UT needs to be modernized for todays gamers, not just the gamers from 10 years years ago. UT is old school now, and needs a fresh face to bring it to this generation of gamers. Even the name "UNREAL" should indicate that it is a progressive franchise that needs to move forward, get more advanced, and add even more style/depth/complexity to it. The engine itself moves forward adding new and exciting things to it, so why can't the Unreal games do the same? I'm not saying they should rewrite the whole series/mechanics. Just add stuff to blow our minds all over again, and at the same time bring in the new generation as well.

I'm just saying that both franchises had ALOT of real good ideas that I personally think could be used to make one outstanding title for both the PC and the console, while keeping the Unreal elements/gameplay intact. Either way the console is where the money is right now, and if we ever want another Unreal(Championship/Tournament) it will have to cater to everyone. IMO it needs elements from both to keep the franchise going. I want something UNREAL, not something that is just getting long in the tooth. Arena shooters are a dying breed and Epic needs to find a happy medium that satisfies both the PC and console crowds. Allthough it seems that's easier said then done with so much animosity between both worlds. At the end of the day we are all gamers, and we just want a quality title with the least amount of bugs/problems as possible. It also has to be something that keeps us interested for years and years since the timeframe between releases is so long. Too long if you ask me, because most of this generation haven't even heard of Unreal or experianced the difference it brings to the table compared to the "other" big name titles out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Random54 View Post
                +1

Consoles and PCs are different. The online experience for both is different. What works well for one is often a source of complaint for the other. UT3 is a perfect example of what happens when you try and make a competitive game good for both without heavy optimizations. No one plays either.
                The only difference is KB/M vs. Controller really and the graphics. Who knows, the next gen console may have full support for KB/M and controllers, and handle 1080p without issue. What then?

Comment

I think UT3 was a move towards being a more hardcore arcade style shooter. Personally the game play for me is better than that of any other ut/unreal game.

The problems it has with netcode and various bugs are what turned most competitive gamers off. The massive CPU requirement that caused most stock maps to be unplayable at a competitive level for most gamers was also a huge problem. The constant crashing with x-ram xfi sound cards didn't help any. Especially since many bought these cards just for UT3. Also unless you knew exactly what you are doing, many settings can cause the game to be really hard to play such as Vsync.

The UT99 community and much of the 2k4 community did try UT3 at release. But because of the problems above most quit and went back to their games. Once that happened UT3 was too dead for anyone to bother trying to resurrect.

Do you think if UT3 had a story, different classes, or kill streaks (aka adrenaline) that it would have changed anything? If anything those changes would have ensured that no one at all would be playing UT3 today.

At least that's how I see it.

*EDIT*
                  The complete lack of inclusion or support for an anti cheat system really didn't help things either. Just that alone would probably help the competitive side of UT3 more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Sincreator View Post
                    The only difference is KB/M vs. Controller really and the graphics. Who knows, the next gen console may have full support for KB/M and controllers, and handle 1080p without issue. What then?
                    If people play consoles at their computer desk maybe. People play consoles differently though. They play from their couch pretty laid back. You can't really do that with keyboard and mouse.

Maybe if the way people use consoles changes in the next generation you'll have a point. Personally I doubt it.

Comment

@Random. Killstreaks and Adrenaline are completely different things. The adrenaline system could be as simple as picking up items on a map to use special powerups. Killstreaks reward better players and penalize new players that can't get them because they are dying alot more. Yes i do think that a full blown story would help alot because a good portion of gamers today expect it, and it greatly helps hype the game for more than just one element(the online). It would also give new players more incentive to buy and play the game to get better at it. Classes would allow players the freedom to play to what suits their playstyles the most. The "best" Unreal players would be able to pick up any class and do well with them.

Comment

Could never got used to a controller so I guess they would have make it somehow to work with a keyboard + mouse other than that, I'm all for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X