Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT live

Forget UT 4... for now.

Ever since Quake live released to critical acclaim I have talked up the possibility of UT live to my friends.

We all know in its day, UT was the better game. I'm asking Epic to make it widespread once again.

Revamp UT99 with some graphic tweaks and yet leave it playable on virtually any modern computer. Perhaps augment it with maps and/or movement from ut2k*

This wouldn't require the resources of UT4, is that a job for the interns I smell?

I ask the community to post here in support of a free, web-based UT live. A game that can be accessed by anyone on any computer.

A time-consuming project for a decade-old game needing its own hosting when the game is readily available for purchase on Steam for $9.99 and elsewhere for even less?

Businesses are in business to make money and the resources necessary to make this happen would probably not be worth Epic's while.

Comment

Q3 was still up for purchase when QL came. QL is huge and has competitions at the highest level. They aren't going to do something if it loses them money :/

Id take an updated UT99 with touches from 2k4/UT3 in an online fps anyday. And impretty sure lots of other people would too.

Comment

I'd love to see an UT live but I doubt that it'll happen in the near future (maybe when there'll be another successful U-title but not now).

And yes Crazy, I would take it too.

Comment

That was suggested often by fans. But Epic makes most of their money from the Unreal Engine 3. I don't think they would be interested in working on something using their older engines, otherwise they would be willing to make something for Nintendo systems. Better make an UT3.5 or something and get that running well.

And Quake Live was fun at the beta phase, but when they introduced premium accounts I lost interest. UT might be different, because I love UT, but they should find another way to finance the project instead of introducing a two class system, where you have to pay for content that you originally got for free ten years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TourianTourist View Post
            That was suggested often by fans. But Epic makes most of their money from the Unreal Engine 3. I don't think they would be interested in working on something using their older engines, otherwise they would be willing to make something for Nintendo systems. Better make an UT3.5 or something and get that running well.

And Quake Live was fun at the beta phase, but when they introduced premium accounts I lost interest. UT might be different, because I love UT, but they should find another way to finance the project instead of introducing a two class system, where you have to pay for content that you originally got for free ten years ago.
            What's to say they have to use an older engine? UE3 is mass cross platform atm. PC, PS3, Xbox, iPhone, Android, and announced for Sony's upcoming NGP. Pretty sure they can make it work online too

Comment

Quakes live game is very good, its really kool idea, and it got the fans back together for their quake 3 arena funz, the problem is that UT is more popular then quake ever was really, UT has a more mainstream target audiance and thus can still make money off it, as someone already mentioned its on steam, you cant really get any better then that, and UT live would more then likely be stumped on the mod and community support, because a UT live would have to be on its own server or servers that the public wouldn't be able to get access to, and thats the core component of any UT, are the mass community maps mods and mutators that quake never really had.

Comment

I personally like Q3 better than UT99, UT2004 better than the both, and UT3 better than UT 2004.

I wouldn't mind a UT2004 live.

And yes, it's been pointed out that you can get all these games for dirt cheap on Steam.

Comment

Something like UT Live with proper support from Epic and caring a bit about the competitive community would definitely boost UT lifespan. The thing is this is never gonna happen for obvious reasons, epic is focused on other things, things that make more money. Sadly.

Comment

I would love UT live.....but it's a pipe dream.

Comment

Do you know what the word "plagiarism" means?

No game company would just pick up another game company's idea and even have the effrontery to name it after the other one. Imagine if Epic released UT Live before Q Live and then iD released Q Live a little while after. How do you think that both Epic and UT fans would feel about that?

And plus you're missing the most important thing of all: if you focus on the gameplay, style, gametypes and maps of both UT and Q and forget the monetary issue, UT is far superior to Q. UT doesn't need to be free to be popular.

Comment

Originally posted by HugoMarques View Post

No game company would just pick up another game company's idea and even have the effrontery to name it after the other one. Imagine if Epic released UT Live before Q Live and then iD released Q Live a little while after. How do you think that both Epic and UT fans would feel about that?
                        No one said that they actually should call it "UT Live"... that's just how the fans call the idea based on QL. And there are other browser shooter games in the same format, Battlefield Heroes for example. Who says, Epic is not allowed to create their own one? That's not "plagiarism", that's competition.

Comment

UTLive would need alot of things to become popular and satisfy the UT Fans, especially the UT99 community.

-Instagib
                          -CTF
                          -DM
                          -TDM
                          -Zeroping
                          -Custom support(it makes instagib what it is)
                          -More custom support(makes ut99 what it is)
                          -Better interface.

Comment

Originally posted by HugoMarques View Post

BF Heroes and Battlefield Play4Free are both browser based FPS games, for free.
                            There are many other free to download and play FPS games Warsow for example.

If it was plagarism, Just about every game out there right now could be sued by someone for begin an FPS or a role-playing game.

I guess they'd feel the same as they did when UT and Quake existed at the same time....

Comment

Originally posted by Cr4zy View Post
                              BF Heroes and Battlefield Play4Free are both browser based FPS games, for free.
                              There are many other free to download and play FPS games Warsow for example.

If it was plagarism, Just about every game out there right now could be sued by someone for begin an FPS or a role-playing game.

I guess they'd feel the same as they did when UT and Quake existed at the same time....
                              Exactly .

Comment

Working...
                              X