Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are there not more timed events in maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are there not more timed events in maps?

I love timed events in maps (such as the creature dropping down to the playing field in DM-Utopia or the comet crashes in Orbital Decay) but they're rarely in maps, and I don't think there's really anything quite as vivid in any of the stock maps. Why? Are they hard to design? When the dragon thing swoops down and crashes into the ground in Utopia, it's quite a spectacular sight.

Originally posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    I love timed events in maps (such as the creature dropping down to the playing field in DM-Utopia or the comet crashes in Orbital Decay) but they're rarely in maps, and I don't think there's really anything quite as vivid in any of the stock maps. Why? Are they hard to design? When the dragon thing swoops down and crashes into the ground in Utopia, it's quite a spectacular sight.
    UT3 was rushed out. If it wasn't there may of been more events in maps.

Just look at WAR-OnyxCoast. The ion-turrets are actually rigged up in kismet. They are meant to rotate and fire. But they weren't finished. The meshes weren't even converted to Interp_Actors. So they just sit there doing nothing at all.

Comment

Yeah and after all the delays, it was a shame it was still rushed. Still, I think the Titan Pack of 2009, along with the CBP's and other well done user maps, have helped make the game what it was supposed to be on release. But I find many of the best maps are actually user created ones.

Comment

Well, most of the maps have some interactive/cool features. Downtown has lights on buildings that flicker out as cores lose health, Stranded has a bell you can break and then punt around, Avalanche has the avalanche, etc. But yeah, more features like this would be nice (but too many wouldn't necessarily be good).

Comment

Multiple factors. Extra time is needed to rig up kismet. Simple things aren't hard, unless you don't understand basics of kismet. but more complex things, such as an avalanche require much more work to get it to work, and then making sure it works online as well because not everything does.

They require trouble shooting and fixing and can cause issues in maps for players possibility of getting stuck, or something especially if the timed event is something that affects gameplay. Environmental timed events aren't as problematic as they don't impact gameplay heavily (but may damage the framerate.
          My DM-Restrict for example has timed environment effects in the form of a storm. That is based upon the Shieldbelt. It starts 5 or 10 seconds (not sure which) before the belt spawns in and lasts until 15 seconds or so after the belt has been taken and repeats on each belt. While the setup is rather simple just a few timer delays and then the changing of materials and hiding/unhiding meshes and emitters. getting it to work properly, make sure the timing is correct and to set all the rain and emitters up within the map took a ton of time.
          While it doesn't directly impact gameplay it does affect FPS and visibility.

Which is another thing, timed events, or triggered events affect the balance of a map. They have to be thought about and designed to make sure that they don't completely ruin the game for players. Things like Avalanche's avalanche drastically turn the events in the map and it has to be used strategically. But at the same time, without the warnings players receive it could easily become imbalanced without giving players a chance to fight it. Then there's also the fact some people don't know how to use such things and can in turn damage a teams chances at winning. Avalanche has safeguards in place to make sure it can't be used all the time (It used to be bugged and the enemy team could set yours off whenever which was hugely imbalanced)

So for the amount of time people spend working on a map unless they really want something in it, working out kismet events can be a lot of work that wont help the gameplay, in some cases it can make it works and ruin a map that could possibly be great.

Lots of maps feature small environmental effects or player feedback in them to let the player know what they did(Example the walls around nodes in WAR-Flux have their pain change colour to the owner of the node, not a simple setup but feedback to let players know what's happening easier/quicker), or telling them something is going to spawn (Lights coming on before a weapon or pickup spawn), or that their core is about to be damaged (The sirens in WAR-Floodgate before countdown) Or even positional sounds that are game triggered rather then just footsteps (DM-Rankin and DM-Cipe with wood creaking DM-Faze with puddle splashes)

Subtle player feedback like that is invaluable and greatly helps level design, it needs to be kept balanced to make sure it doesn't change player chances drastically. But I prefer small things that are subtle don't majorly affect gameplay while at the same time helping to make the player feel that environment is more alive as such. And changing with the game they're playing.

I realised I used a ton of my maps as examples, but many more maps use such techniques. Every map basically has these already with sound cues from items already in the game, health, armour weapon pickups all make audible cues to tell the player they picked it up but at the same time alerting the enemy to the position of them, Footstep sounds, lifts and pads all do the same.

I realise not everybody is a serious gamer and would prefer easter-egg type things in their maps, that interact, or drastically change the gameplay. But maps have to have it in mind from the start imo, it's not something that is easy to add in once you're done where as player/environment feedback is. So if people set out to make a map with a fire-breathing dragon in, or a pit that opens up they'll have them. but if people set out to make a straight DM, CTF, WAR map that just plays well that's what you get.

But that's my view on why there aren't lots of timed events like you described in maps.

edit:
          ****, I wrote a lot.

Comment

Working...
          X