Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think this is a good budget laptop for UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think this is a good budget laptop for UT3?

For nine hundred bucks, I get a spazzy i7 that's capable of overclocking to almost 3 ghz. Do you guys think this is any good?

http://www.amazon.com/N53JQ-XV1-15-6.../ref=de_a_smtd

Any laptop will be hard pressed to play the game. Even 4 cores will have problems. I think that's more of a cpu issue than top of the line mobile graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
      Any laptop will be hard pressed to play the game. Even 4 cores will have problems. I think that's more of a cpu issue than top of the line mobile graphics.
      Not so,
      I have an Asus i7 with an Nvidia 360m
      it runs UT3 on max at 1080 resolution with no problems

Comment

I've never played UT3 on anything other than a laptop (well, except the PS3).

When the game first came out, I was using a HP Pavilion dv9548us ( 1.66 GHz Intel C2D, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS, and 2GB RAM ). The video card fried on this after two years. It actually died on me while playing UT3.

I replaced it with an Asus G50 ( 2.13GHz Intel C2D, NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS, and 4GB RAM ), which I'm still using.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippy_Doe View Post
          Not so,
          So, worst case scenario is that this latop can only do medium settings, which I doubt since this thing is an i7, too, and a NVIDIA GT425M. Or, my laptop melts after two years as described by MoonBlood, and by then it might be time for another upgrade anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Gameslaya View Post
            So, worst case scenario is that this latop can only do medium settings, which I doubt since this thing is an i7, too, and a NVIDIA GT425M. Or, my laptop melts after two years as described by MoonBlood, and by then it might be time for another upgrade anyway.
            Heat, for me, is an issue.
            I have a zalman laptop cooler under my laptop to keep it cool while I play.
            But that will run UT3 without any problems.
            I have the G51J series (Gamers republic cheese)

Comment

I've always gamed on a laptop and love the portability. Of course I travel a lot for work so its almost necessary. Heat is the major issue like Skippy said, always make sure you are well ventilated and blow out your fans regularly.

Only thing I would recommend, is go for a larger screen size. A 17" or 18.4" is a big improvement over 15.6". It might be $100 more but in the long run -2+ years of gaming- it will be worth it.

Comment

Will Ut3 run on my cr48?

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Comment

Only thing I would recommend, is go for a larger screen size. A 17" or 18.4" is a big improvement over 15.6". It might be $100 more but in the long run -2+ years of gaming- it will be worth it.
                    Would it be a bad thing if I used my HDMI cable and output it to my small TV? (It's about two feet on the diagonal). I know that monitors have had better resolutions than tvs for years, but I'm wondering if my tv would actually work better in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Gameslaya View Post
                      Would it be a bad thing if I used my HDMI cable and output it to my small TV? (It's about two feet on the diagonal). I know that monitors have had better resolutions than tvs for years, but I'm wondering if my tv would actually work better in this case.
                      I use the HDMI/S-video port on my laptop to output occasionally, but mainly for movies not for gaming. You have to have a HD tv if you want good resolution. I'm talking about at least 720p and ideally 1080p. Also you have to have a graphics card that will handle the higher resolution. Otherwise game won't look as great.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippy_Doe View Post
                        Not so,
                        Well, having played against these guys over the past few years, I have to admit I was wrong. Obviously, you can play competitive UT3 on the right laptop setup. I had no idea, except for moonblood.

Comment

Working...
                        X