Tech question - what is UPK for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tech question - what is UPK for?

Some makes come with a UPK file in addition to the .ini and .ut3 files, why do some maps have it and others don't?

you mean the LOC_int.upk ?

Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
    The LOC file might not be created if all the localized content your map uses is loaded at game startup.
    so tiny maps usually don't have one.

upks are packages that contain game assets (textures, static meshes, animations, sounds, etc).

Comment

So it's for custom stuff basically, and if the map uses all stock elements it doesn't need it?

Or it just has to do with size, if it's small it can all be compacted but larger maps need that to run best?

Comment

I didn't finish any map for UT3 yet (and probably won't) but I think it's the latter.

Comment

Thanks. .

Comment

I have no idea what it includes. However. maps do not need the file to run. Most people (including myself) release maps with the file just incase. But i've been told by many and had maps without the file that work fine.

Comment

I guess it could have to do with the loading times. I think they will be decreased when there is such a package, the assets will be loaded faster. I think that would explain why your maps can run without it, Crazy. It seems like there isn't really any need for a upk file since it just helps the game to find the assets faster or something like that.

Comment

unpublished/uncooked maps can be copied into your published folder and play just fine. the cooking process will help load times.... it will compress everything it can so you'll end up with a much smaller .ut3 file size.

now there's a different between LOC_int.upks and external upks. if a mapper uses assets from an external upk (content not directly inside the maps own package) it would need to be included with the map... or any references to the upk won't show up in the map.

Comment

Got it, makes sense. So the LOC_upks are for custom stuff usually, to help it load faster.

Comment

i don't think it matters if it's custom or stock content... but yeah... it's for faster loading.

Comment

Working...
                    X