UT3 and steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 and steam

hi everyone - haven't been playing for about a year and now I've built my new pc am wanting to load up UT3 again.
    I've got a shop bought copy of the game, from when it first came out, and I've heard that you can link it up to steam (I've got steam at the moment as I play L4D). So I'm just wondering if it's easy to link it up to my steam account, if there's a particular way to do it, and if there's any benefit to doing this - is there a different selection of servers?

There used to be a thread on how to merge retail UT3 with Steam but a quick search of the forums didn't bring up anything.

Unless you absolutely love Steam and always have it running, I don't see any reason to merge them. It's just one more thing to worry about. (If Steam goes down, you won't be able to play. Gamespy's constant issues are bad enough, why add yet another liability?)

Retail and Steam UT3 are identical and have the exact same servers available. Come play Greed!

Edit: Oh, found it. xD
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=656522

Comment

There is the benifit of having your CD key inside of steam. So you know where it is at all times. And once in Steam, it will auto update if there are ever anymore patches. Or if you have to reinstall download fully patched.

As above you can copy your folder over. Once you have started downloading from steam so the folder is created within its directory.
      Simple to get it into steam. Click "+ Add A Game..." bottom left of Steam. "Activate a product on Steam" run through the process, input your CDKey and it should add it to your Steam library

Comment

ok, cheers guys - if they all share the same servers, I'll just not bother: steam's always going down when you least want it to.
        I loved playing greed with the titan mutation but most people stopped playing it because they were getting their *** kicked by the titans.
        I expect there's a ton of custom maps to download - that was always the biggest problem that needed to be addressed, if you like playing custom maps, that you'd be playing on a server with maps you don't have, and by the time they'd downloaded, everyone was playing a different map. I was hoping they'd figure a way of downloading the next map during actual game-play - I'd sacrifice map voting for that function.

Comment

One thing you do is keep the retail install. But add the key to your steam account incase you lose the game manual. You don't have to install it in steam but it is nice to know youll always have it.

Comment

Working...
          X