What is the UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the UDK?

I see and hear UDK, what is this? For what is it use?
    Some basic knowledge about it will be helpful.

Unreal Development Kit

check this out: http://www.udk.com/

Comment

It's the Unreal Development Kit.
      You have an editor included (like the UT3Ed) and you are allowed to create your own game with it (as long as you don't sell it). Of course you have to script everything by yourself, weapons, gameplay, everything. And you can't create maps for UT3 with it since it is a more advanced version of the Unreal Engine 3.
      Many start working with it, want to create their own game but tbh I've rarely seen a finished game.

PS: You are not allowed to recreate Unreal or UT with it.

Comment

Ok, thank you, sounds like something nice to do.

Comment

Only if you can create everything in 3D and 2D programs (creating weapon models, character models, textures for the models, etc. in Blender, Maya, Photoshop and other programs) and script everything (=weapon behavior, projectiles, HUD, whole gameplay, etc.) by yourself in Unreal Script...

If you don't do that you will have just nice looking environments and you couldn't even play them (and of course you can't make UT3 maps with the UDK) so there would be no point in using it. If you want to create something for your portfolio or something like that then I strongly recommend to make something for an existing game, not just creating unplayable environments in the Unreal Engine 3. Creating the environmental look is one thing but making it a playable level with a good layout is another. It's like creating a level/map without a playerstart or with a scale that is not made for the characters and gameplay and showing this "unfinished" map to the publicity, not as a alpha or beta but as a final!

Comment

I know, I create maps sometimes for myself, I don't think i will do something like that.

Comment

Please do check it out Valujira, it's a lot of fun

Comment

I'm learning how to use it now by building simple maps for UT3. Its tons and loads of fun!

Comment

From what I've read it is not possible... or am I wrong?

It has a different engine version and it has tools the UT3Ed doesn't have iIrc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                    From what I've read it is not possible... or am I wrong?

It has a different engine version and it has tools the UT3Ed doesn't have iIrc.
                    I suppose you could still make ut3 maps. You just... can't play them in ut3 :/

Comment

Then these are not UT3 maps for me. Okay, then I don't see any reason to create things in the UDK either.

Comment

Working...
                      X