The concept behind unreal tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
    Yeah, the UT2003 intro is awesome (it does actually show you parts of the Grand Tournament unlike the UT2004 one with just some action scenes. The 2k4 one is cool though) but I think the UT99 intro is the most epic one. This dark atmosphere, the city, the flying vehicles. Not much is shown of this dark and futuristic (and of course human) world of Unreal and Unreal Tournament but when I saw it for the first time I was impressed.
    Out of curiosity, I went and looked up the 2003 intro. HOLY ****! It's probably the best thing I've seen all week.

Comment

Hey, is Unreal Championship 1 the same as Unreal Tournament 2003? A lot of things are the same in both. I gave up UC though because it kept crashing on the Xbox.

Comment

Well, UC is not quite the same. There are differences in gameplay, some maps have small changes in UT2003 and of course the weapons are different. But we are working on a UC bonus pack to recreate the UC feel for UT2004. You might be interested in this.
        It was quite a task for me to scale the textures from 256x256 up to 1024x1024 and to make them look good (just scaling them up would make them blurry). Most of this work was repainting them. However, there are still some old skins in use (Shock Rifle, Assault Rifle and Link Gun).

EDIT:
        Originally posted by Gameslaya View Post
        Out of curiosity, I went and looked up the 2003 intro. HOLY ****! It's probably the best thing I've seen all week.
        This is how I think the Tournament should look like. Maybe they could integrate some conversations between the characters (choosing between different things you want to say to the interviewer or your enemy, taunting them before the match, etc etc) for the next UT and possibilities to sabotage the other team in gametypes like ONS/WAR, AS, etc. and they should explain why they still live after being gibbed 40 times per match (cloning? The Heal Pod?). There are so many possibilities to make a cool story out of the tournament but still keeping it the Grand Tournament...

Comment

What made "UT99" BiG!

Yeh! now a days UT99 is out, except for the oldtimers and someone that whats to give a work with an old computer...
          What made UT99 big whas for me personaly the "UnrealEditor", I can personalase a map to my like!!! and its done in a easy to use way!!! Now with UT3 "yes it does gave outstadig looks!", but the "NEW" editor...

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
            Well, UC is not quite the same. There are differences in gameplay, some maps have small changes in UT2003 and of course the weapons are different. But we are working on a UC bonus pack to recreate the UC feel for UT2004. You might be interested in this.
            It was quite a task for me to scale the textures from 256x256 up to 1024x1024 and to make them look good (just scaling them up would make them blurry). Most of this work was repainting them. However, there are still some old skins in use (Shock Rifle, Assault Rifle and Link Gun).
            Is the UC bonus back finished or still in the Beta working phase. On the link I see the beta version only unless I missed it somewhere.

Comment

It's still a beta (Beta_C). Most bugs are fixed and it's a possible release candidate (when I and FewPosts do the last "high res" skins of course).
              The skins look exactly like their original counterparts. I tried to recreate them as good as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by UTCollector88 View Post
                Does anyone know the actual concept behind UT?

My concept is that is like a modern day arena where gladiators fight with guns and sci-fi equipment instead of swords and arrows for entertainment and reducing crime. It was started and run by a corporation which I can't remember I think it was Liandri not sure. I think that's pretty close to the concept. Is it?
                That might be what the story is about on the surface. However, in my view, the actual concept was that of an online multiplayer first-person-shooter cybersport that could be easily augmented with mods and custom maps. When I think of UT99, I think of competitive clan matches and leagues filled with clans trying to claw their way up to the top of the ladder. I think of seeing hundreds of servers packed full of thousands of players 24/7.

Comment

^ ^ ^ It's a shame Midway shut the door on that possibility for UT3...

And to think the contract that Epic Games made with those @sses still covers one more UT game makes me wanna puke.

Comment

Working...
                  X