Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The concept behind unreal tournament

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    The concept behind unreal tournament

    Does anyone know the actual concept behind UT?

    My concept is that is like a modern day arena where gladiators fight with guns and sci-fi equipment instead of swords and arrows for entertainment and reducing crime. It was started and run by a corporation which I can't remember I think it was Liandri not sure. I think that's pretty close to the concept. Is it?

    #2
    Originally posted by UTCollector88 View Post
    Does anyone know the actual concept behind UT?

    My concept is that is like a modern day arena where gladiators fight with guns and sci-fi equipment instead of swords and arrows for entertainment and reducing crime. It was started and run by a corporation which I can't remember I think it was Liandri not sure. I think that's pretty close to the concept. Is it?
    In 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep space miners, the New Earth Government legalized no-holds-bared fighting. Liandri Mining Corporation, working with the NEG, established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. The fight's popularity grew with their brutality. Soon, Liandri discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise. The professional league was formed; a cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a Grand Tournament. Now it is 2341. 50 years have passed since founding of DeathMatch. Profits from the Tournament number in the hundreds of billions. You have been selected to fight in the professional league by the Liandri Rules Board. Your strength and brutality are legendary. The time has come to prove you are the best. To crush your enemies; to win the Tournament.

    Comment


      #3
      The best way to answer this question is the UT99 intro (Gameslaya posted it already in words).
      Here's the original video.
      (Sound quality is a bit bad. It was better in the game)

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Gameslaya View Post
        In 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep space miners, the New Earth Government legalized no-holds-bared fighting. Liandri Mining Corporation, working with the NEG, established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. The fight's popularity grew with their brutality. Soon, Liandri discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise. The professional league was formed; a cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a Grand Tournament. Now it is 2341. 50 years have passed since founding of DeathMatch. Profits from the Tournament number in the hundreds of billions. You have been selected to fight in the professional league by the Liandri Rules Board. Your strength and brutality are legendary. The time has come to prove you are the best. To crush your enemies; to win the Tournament.

        Almost 12 years later that still gives me goose bumps and I wanna go kick Xans a**

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Skippy_Doe View Post
          Almost 12 years later that still gives me goose bumps and I wanna go kick Xans a**
          OH YEAH. I have the same feeling when I listen to this/read this.

          Comment


            #6
            Yeah, **** epic indeed. I love the way the narrator subtly changes her voice tone in "...50 years have passed since the founding of Deathmatch." AWESOME<3

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Skippy_Doe View Post
              Almost 12 years later that still gives me goose bumps and I wanna go kick Xans a**
              Forget Xan, try playing against loque's bot on godlike

              Comment


                #8
                OMG, do you really mean Loque in UT99!?
                I played an instagib match with a friend in CTF-HallOfGiants.
                We spawned and then we died immediately. Loque was sniping us from the other side of the map with the Super Shock Rifle! Even if we still had spawnprotection he shot us (we didn't die but it was disencouraging). He didn't die a single time for almost the whole match but then I had a lucky shot after spawning, lol. Lucky me. I ended his GODLIKE
                We lost the match though...

                Comment


                  #9
                  Love that intro! *Bows to UT*

                  Comment


                    #10
                    He's weak compared to Loque.
                    Loque + (Super) Shock Rifle/Sniper Rifle = humiliation!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      my though is this:

                      wat?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        For the most part, the UT that you start with is your all time favorite.

                        Started in Nov 2002 playing 2k3, and until this day it is my favorite. I was Immediately hooked as it was the exact genre I was looking for. DDOM was my main gametype and it was very popular. In 2k4 it was not very popular so I switched to TDM

                        Anyway, as far as intros, 2k3's intro is up there with the best of them.

                        Man, it's been forever since I heard this...

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbK6Q-XJ7gI

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Yeah, the UT2003 intro is awesome (it does actually show you parts of the Grand Tournament unlike the UT2004 one with just some action scenes. The 2k4 one is cool though) but I think the UT99 intro is the most epic one. This dark atmosphere, the city, the flying vehicles. Not much is shown of this dark and futuristic (and of course human) world of Unreal and Unreal Tournament but when I saw it for the first time I was impressed.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            "A tournament where the winners become Gods and the losers pay the ultimate price".

                            What more of a description do you need?

                            luv it

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Taffy View Post
                              For the most part, the UT that you start with is your all time favorite.
                              This is so true. My first UT was UT3, and it is by far my favorite, followed by UT2004 and then UT99. Ironically, I played them all in that order.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X