No announcement yet.

Tips for UT newcomers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made this UT3 Care Package (17MB) as a UT3 primer for someone recently. It contains a few muts, mods, utilities, and .ini and in-game settings that I use/have used with descriptions and/or explanations. For the .ini tweaks, I tried to focus on things that could alter or improve the gameplay experience without actually adjusting graphic settings (i.e., just things that I've read here and there over the last 2 years that could prove helpful). I wouldn't call my efforts or presentation perfect by any means, but I haven't really come across anything else nearly as complete either. Only the truly experienced UT3 players seem to know about the totality of my care package, so I'm sure most players could learn something or benefit from perusing it.

Comment

thank you very much for this guide! it really helps as i am new

Comment

hey yellowbird, your UT3 Care Package appears to have been deleted from 'filesonic.com', anywhere else i can download it plz?
        JP-J

Comment

I've been neglecting this thread a bit the past months.
          yellowbird, if you still have your Care Package, I'd be happy if you could reupload it so I can put it into the first post (of course I'll credit you! ).
          I'll also check the other links the next days and see if I can find anything else that would be useful.

I just went through the list and I think I skipped the powerup respawn times, didn't I?
          I'm no (T)DM/Duel player that's why I don't know the exact times out of my mind, I seem get the timing somewhat right, but I don't know whether it takes for example 30 seconds or 45 seconds until Thigh Pads respawn or anything like that.
          If anybody knows the exact respawn times, please post them! I would like to add them to the list in a separate category that I might call "Timing" or something among these lines (ideas for category name are welcome).

Comment

Hey Sly, tnx again for keeping this thread going.
            Yes, if yellowbird could make his 'care package' available again, would be great (re my previous post)
            I guess for re-spawn timings, people from NovaZ 'Duel Tourney' last year might be helpful?
            Legionz - JetSpandex -Satan's Father - Capndrake - korben44 - NovaZ - Openwound - Tilter - Mostly_Harmless - ReverendCrow - bombachu - OldSkool0482
            And if i remember rightly, Henrik produced some excellent youtube training vids, which touched on timings? (Mastering UT3 Video Series?)

one very useful 'Warfare Game mode' tip i received from ummie, was setting my in game 'tactical stance', like attacker or defender, runner etc to 'special ops', which then advises you when the 'shaped charge' & 'redeemer' are respawning & also when the 'nightshade' respawns!

oh, and one other thing i found pretty helpful as a noob, was the Warfare map 'Training - Alpha4' (sorry if i got the map name a bit wrong, Flak mentioned it a few months back) with lots of different rooms for various training disciplines, like 'jumps boots' obstacle course, moving target room, long sniper gallery, hoverboard practice ramps/skate park and various others. (BTW does anybody know who made this awesome training map? would love to have the original designer, demo-ing how to get the best from it, i just kinda tried things out, that were obvious)

& lastly, the UT3 server - 'Bunny trails' London? (i think its listed under warfare servers) was very handy for learning how to do all the different types of jumping/dodging e.g double jump/ wall dodge/ boots double jump etc.

Cheers Sly, keep up the good work can't wait till you do a beginners guide to UT4 !!!!!!!!!! ..... here's hoping

Comment

can't wait till you do a beginners guide to UT4 !!!!!!!!!!
              If Epic will do a UT4 and make a UT4 subforum, there will definitely be a new guide!
              I would also like to make a UT99 newcomer guide but here's no UT99 subforum.

PS: The Training map link seems down... ****, I should have noted the person who offered it when I added it... *facepalm*
              EDIT: It was a "famous" community member... not sure, but I think it could have been Crazy. Must check the old WIP-list thread where I got it from.

Comment

Excelent guide Sly, helped me alot! Keep up the good work dude!

Comment

Experience teaches: Don't chase people behind corners, usually they are waiting up close with a Flak (or pick your favourite one-shot-to-face wepaon) cannon and you end up in a liquid form.
                  Only chase if you are positive the enemy does not have proper weapons, is low on health and you are going in for the kill.

Comment

Thx you have provided nice information here.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! Me and my fellas are going to participate this year. That was useful advice, I appreciate that

Comment

Originally posted by Jetpack_Jack View Post
                        And if i remember rightly, Henrik produced some excellent youtube training vids, which touched on timings? (Mastering UT3 Video Series?)
                        A bit late in my reply, but thank you Jetpack_Jack. I did produce several UT3 training videos including complete guides to the Black Edition extra gametypes. http://youtube.com/voxhousestudio

Comment

Hi Henrik!
                          Good to hear you're still about & thanks again for all your contributions to the UT3 community

Comment

Yeah, working more with UDK nowadays but still as active here as ever.

Comment

hey there,
                              I used to play ut3 back in 2007 and now I'm back and see there's quite a few add ons (titan pack, patches, extensions, etc..)
                              has anyone got a list with all the (essential) add ons and the order in which to install them? I don't want to miss out on anything and can't seem to find a comprehensive, updated list (mist just be blind here)

thanks a ton, highly appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by EgoMan View Post
                                hey there,
                                I used to play ut3 back in 2007 and now I'm back and see there's quite a few add ons (titan pack, patches, extensions, etc..)
                                has anyone got a list with all the (essential) add ons and the order in which to install them? I don't want to miss out on anything and can't seem to find a comprehensive, updated list (mist just be blind here)

thanks a ton, highly appreciate it
                                It is pretty simple.

Install the Titan Pack Download Link
                                Then install the patch Download Link
                                Then join a Server and pew pew!!

Comment

Working...
                                X