Do you think lift jumps are fair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think lift jumps are fair?

The other day I was playing a duel against another US player on the map Devolve. As I dodged off a wall to reach the Shock rifle I saw him coming down the back ramp toward the rocket launcher. I immediately thought to myself, "this isn't fair, he is a bit closer to the lift than I am." We both raced toward the lift that would propel us toward the 50 armor, but he got there first, leaving me standing there like a fool. Do you think this is fair? If one player is slightly closer to a lift, do you think it's fair that he take it before you, or should he have to wait until you are both an equal distance from the lift before trying to use it? Frankly, I'm sick of people lift jumping around maps before I can reach them. Oft times it leads to me dying, and there's nothing really fair about that, if you stop to think about it for a second.

It is fair. You can do it too.

Comment

That isn't fair at all. I believe in the equal-distance idea that you stated. In fact, that reminds me of this other problem that I've been experiencing.
      Whenever I die, the opponent finds me quickly (some of these guys may be hacking...) and kills me without letting me get any weapons.
      Other times he is nicer and lets me get a weapon, but refuses to let me know where he is and fire at him.
      How am I supposed to kill him if I don't have a weapon? (enforcer does not count)

Comment

Yes, most if not all maps are designed with the lift jumps in mind. I would say it's a core part of the movement.

Comment

Originally posted by JetSpandex View Post
          That isn't fair at all. I believe in the equal-distance idea that you stated. In fact, that reminds me of this other problem that I've been experiencing.
          Whenever I die, the opponent finds me quickly (some of these guys may be hacking...) and kills me without letting me get any weapons.
          Other times he is nicer and lets me get a weapon, but refuses to let me know where he is and fire at him.
          How am I supposed to kill him if I don't have a weapon? (enforcer does not count)
          Why can't you kill people before they get any weapons? Why can't you play hide and seek too?

That's the whole idea. They are things you can do, not things you should be given right off the bat. The drive to do them should lead to becoming a better player.

Gamers are so spoiled these days...

Comment

Originally posted by JetSpandex View Post
            Thank you! In my experience many duelers are hacking, especially when they kill me with the sniper rifle. A lot of these guys also employ sound hacks as they always seem to find me when I’m sloshing around in the water on Sentinel. No fair player would do that. I’m also against opponents finding me quickly after I die. For Pete’s sake, give me at least to the count of 10 to get my bearings and assess my spawn position. I’m also in favor of the opponent firing a warning shot before approaching. I think these ideas would greatly improve the enjoyment of the game for all skill levels (in addition to the equal-distance rule).

Comment

Troll thread?

darkbish0p is obviously being sarcastic, so what's the point of this thread other than to get people angry?

Comment

I don't see any "trolling" here. It's rather a ... weird question.

And no. I don't agree with you, darkbish0p. I'm using such methods too. You could liftjump since UT99 and even in Unreal 1 iIrc. Why should it be forbidden? It is part of the UT gameplay and as Aldaron07 and HideInLight already said it is fair and the maps are build with lift jumps in mind.

That "no equal distance" problem is not the game's fault but the mappers fault.

And you said that most duellers use hacks. That doesn't have to be true. Only because they hear you it's not a hack. Try turning off your music and maximize the sound volume in your game's settings. You can hear if somebody is walking in water or not.
                There are enough tactics to find your enemy before he finds you. I even made a thread with tips for UT newcomers. In this list I wrote: "Always listen to your surroundings." I think that explains everything.

Btw, the list is still a WIP and I'd be thankful for ideas for improvements and new useful tips.

Comment

are the minigun, the RL, the armor parts; even ammos fair if u grab them when you arent both an equal distance from thoses items before trying to use em? even the lift use itself can be unfair and force the unlucky guy to use staircases....
                  "are u equal distance to the jumppad? ok ...3....2...1 goooooo!"
                  the question just looks like a joke to me too

Comment

At first I was like but then I was like .

Comment

So you knew he was closer to the lift, but continued to try anyway? Adjust strategy time

Comment

Anyone who breaks the Equal-Distance unwritten rule of the Unreal Universe is obviously trying to play dirty. I'd suggest pursuing the creation of a mutator that can end this once and for all. Also, be sure to avoid using the tertiary weapons when in a >8.44309 score advantage, as this is the quite possibly the worst of the possible sins.

Also Glenn Beck > all.

Comment

I love you, Jomi the Hot Cake Jr.

Comment

We should ban people from using the rocket launcher because it's also not fair. I mean they can kill you in one hit? WHERE IS THE FAIR?!

Comment

i don't even know why ppl are answering, ofc he is trolling, directly refering to my "soundmutator request", again, if that can please this kiddy xD...

Excuse my poor noob whiner request ÔÔ great Darkbishop the progamer , continue to pown me (or not) and other noobs in an "amalgamation of **** and dust" plz....

Comment

Working...
                              X