How to save Unreal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to save Unreal

Unreal is known for fast-paced deathmatches in online multiplayer, powerful weapons, and memorable map design (still loving Deck16). Newer Unreal games have been moving to large scale battles with Onslaught and War. I'm afraid it's a poor attempt at being a Battlefield game. Don't be Battlefield, be UNREAL TOURNAMENT. I think an inexpensive DOWNLOADABLE MULTIPLAYER-ONLY game could revive the series.

Whenever I go on UT3, I find very few servers and most of them have bots in them. Hardly an online fight. However, I can go on Quake Live and immediately find an FFA deathmatch against similarly skilled opponents. Combine MATCHMAKING and SERVER BROWSERS to help people get in to games with other people. ADVERTISE SERVERS that are close to player and have low ping. Make a lot of small arena style maps. What map you play on should not be a concern to the player. Keep Free For All games limited to 8 players to avoid chaos.

TEAM GAMES can certainly get bigger, allowing for 7 vs. 7 matches in the larger CTF, DM, and Domination/King of the Hill matches. Having 32 player grindfests takes the fun out the game and makes capturing a flag nigh impossible. Vehicles also need to go away because they ruin the pace and balance of the game. No map should be that big anyway.

Being a TOURNAMENT game, you should have tournaments readily available in the game. Have ladders for games where the winner advances to SEMI-FINALS against the winner of other matches. Of course, the winner of the semi's advance to the FINALS against the best of the Tourney. 1 on 1 matches are boring, so each match needs to have about 4 players. Have ROCKET ARENA tournaments (where everyone has all weapons and armor). Have the names of the winners displayed proudly on the main menu of the game. Maybe show screenshots or video clips of the fight in the menu for everyone to see.

People like CUSTOMIZATION and CLANS. Let us choose from a variety of body types (Male, Female, Robot, Skaarj) and change their faces, body, and legs. Give us dozens of options and make sure they all look intimidating. Look at earlier Unreal games for inspiration. The robots in UT3 looked like cauldrons or anorexic toasters, not like killing machines. Players can organize CLANS, make their own INSIGNIA, and design their TEAM COLORS. Show their color and logo on their character, flag, and any banners that are in levels. Display the names of the clans that are fighting at that moment in the menu and show the winners and scores of recent matches. Have CLAN TOURNAMENTS. LEADERBOARDS are a must for this game.

OTHER DETAILS: Mutators don't roll over well. Instagib tends to take over and most of the others are useless. Have a small unranked corner for fun mutator games or game modes that aren't so competitive but are just for fun. Also, the sniper rifle may have to go. Unreal should be fast paced and have close brutal combat. Dying from 300 yards isn't fun and quick headshot kills are cheap. Precision shooters can use the shock rifle for faster kills.

UT should be multiplayer king and a community haven. By showing what's going on in the game community, rewarding players for doing well, and matching players to others of their skill level, UT can bring new players in and treat fans to the competitive shooter they know and love.

lot of good points & ideas...some others just belong to personnal tastes:"1v1 matches are boring"; "Also, the sniper rifle may have to go. "...??!...

Comment

WOW! I'm surprised! You have pretty good ideas. Epic should take a look at this thread if they are going to plan a new UT game.
      Voted 5*
      But there are a few things where I just can't agree:
      1. "Take out the Sniper Rifle." Well actually you don't have to use this weapon as a long range weapon where you shoot from 300 yards. Personally I dodge through the maps and shoot at people and there was a reason why it was already in Unreal 1 and later also in UT99. I'd miss the headshots Furthermore you forgot about the Ripper
      2. Downloadable multiplayer game.. Well, I want to have a DVD so that I don't have to download and pay for it everytime I have a new PC or after I format my HD.
      3. The tournaments should be an option. I play UT for fun and do not play tournaments. But I don't want to play on servers where 168,396,072 mutators are running just to play for fun
      4. Sometimes I need a break and want to play against bots. There should be instant action/practice session/whatever you want to call it to play offline from time to time. People who don't have internet wouldn't be able to play this game because it would need internet.

Except of these 4 things I fully agree on what you said.

But I think they should first revive Unreal, the "mother" of UT, and then work on a new UT with all these things (except a few maybe) you mentioned. Unreal was an awesome single player game with a great story and tournament-like multiplayer mode. Many people already forgot what Unreal is and think that Unreal = UT. Imo that's sad.
      It was such a masterpiece (both games, Unreal 1 with RTNP expansion pack and Unreal 2) and it looks like it's dead.
      Unreal could also bring a few players to UT because the gameplay and the weapons are almost the same with one exception: it has a real story. If a new Unreal would be a good selling game then new fans of the U series would also like to see a new UT or am I wrong?

Comment

same here i would like to see new characters AND the return of the orginal corrupt team such as a xan with a bit of battle damage and the ut2004 team members like cathode,matrix and axon

Comment

and also i disagree with your thought of the liandri robots from ut3 they are so badass not freaking toasters but that does sound a bit funny if its about aspect and enigma

Comment

Originally posted by gultron View Post
            aspect and enigma
            Jostle them and they will start rolling! lol
            You were squashed by Aspect.
            Such a mutator could be quite entertaining.

Comment

Also, the sniper rifle may have to go. Unreal should be fast paced and have close brutal combat. Dying from 300 yards isn't fun and quick headshot kills are cheap. Precision shooters can use the shock rifle for faster kills.
              I stopped caring about this post after that. I've had my head blown off in DM maps enough times to know it's usable at any distance, and while I can't get headshots for **** I certainly use it in none-vehicular modes. With udamage it's 140 damage, or 280 damage with a headshot. And yes, I've seen it used in this fashion in DM's before.

Comment

+1 azurescorch, removing the sniper rifle is about the lamest idea I have heard so far.

For those who dont like vehicles, seriously, is it that hard to select DM or CTF rather than VCTF and WAR? The success of Onslaught which was turned into Warfare is proof that vehicles are not the probrem with the UT franchise.

Comment

There's just one things I don't understand..
                  In 2k3 AS wasn't included and players were complaining about that. In 2k4 AS was added. Now in UT3 AS is missing (again). I really thought that Epic would notice that this gametype has a lot fans. Maybe that was a reason why UT3 has even less players and didn't sell that well? I did some research before I bought this game and knew that AS would be missing. I bought it though. Maybe AS fans didn't?

PS: Not only ONS was a good proof that vehicle gametypes are not that bad. 2k4's AS had vehicles as well. Think of AS-Mothership, AS-Outback or AS-Subrosa for example.
                  I think the next UT could also need more Unreal themed maps like Mothership and Goop God from UT2k4 or Arcane Temple and Dreary from UT99 for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanch3z View Post
                    +1 azurescorch, removing the sniper rifle is about the lamest idea I have heard so far.

For those who dont like vehicles, seriously, is it that hard to select DM or CTF rather than VCTF and WAR? The success of Onslaught which was turned into Warfare is proof that vehicles are not the probrem with the UT franchise.
                    Agreed, Limiting game types limits players. I rarely play anything but warfare. If ut3 didn't have War then I would not be playing it as much. If you don't like a game type don't play it.

Comment

take a look at quakelive and learn what's needed for a good competitive FPS. Not so many gametypes, community support, loads of tournaments, support from EPIC for tournaments (like ID does with Intel Extreme Masters), a proper spectator/UTV mode, good demoplayback, and all those basic features a good FPS must have. That's basically it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bl!tz~ View Post
                        lot of good points & ideas...some others just belong to personnal tastes:"1v1 matches are boring"; "Also, the sniper rifle may have to go. "...??!...
                        Yes, I do have personal tastes. For 1 vs. 1, most of my experiences have involved dying in seconds because the other player has all the armor and powerful weapons (and no, I'm not great at the game). Though I find that 1 vs. 1 Rocket Arena would be great for Tournaments. And I am biased against sniper rifles in general. I have hated them in almost every shooter I have ever played. Call it personal taste. Please don't let my opinions upset you.

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                        I'd miss the headshots Furthermore you forgot about the Ripper
                        2. Downloadable multiplayer game.. Well, I want to have a DVD so that I don't have to download and pay for it everytime I have a new PC or after I format my HD.
                        3. The tournaments should be an option. I play UT for fun and do not play tournaments. But I don't want to play on servers where 168,396,072 mutators are running just to play for fun
                        4. Sometimes I need a break and want to play against bots. There should be instant action/practice session/whatever you want to call it to play offline from time to time. People who don't have internet wouldn't be able to play this game because it would need internet.
                        That deep UT voice saying "Headshot" is iconic. I have to agree and admit my mistake. I think the Ripper is too chaotic a weapon and there may be a reason why it hasn't shown up in the recent Unreal games. I would go 50-50. That's a player vote/developer balance thing.
                        Steam was created for that reason. Your games are saved to your account. No need to repurchase. Having a hard copy is always reassuring though. I buy CDs instead of downloading for that very reason.
                        Tournaments would be an option. You can jump straight into an online/offline/split screen/ranked/unranked match or join a tournament. Not one of those "officially sponsored by" tournaments, these are a part of the game and are basically a series of matches where the winner advances to the next round against the winners of the other matches in the first round of the Tournament.
                        I also like to go against bots and never said anything about not having them in the game, I would just like to keep them out of most online multiplayer matches.

Originally posted by ummie4 View Post
                        Agreed, Limiting game types limits players. I rarely play anything but warfare. If ut3 didn't have War then I would not be playing it as much. If you don't like a game type don't play it.
                        Again, personal taste. I was thinking of a more focused classic Unreal game. It seemed to me that Epic was losing focus on what made UT great and were trying to make a Battlefield style game. At one point they were making a game called Unreal Wars. That became Gears of War. I found ONS to be an attempt at UW...I don't know. ONS didn't feel like Unreal to me. The maps are large fields that take a slow pace and make your maneuverability useless. Perhaps someone who is a fan of the game can offer some ideas for improvements?

Comment

lol...i dont let your opinions upset me
                          i just wanted to point that if we focused on personnal preferences(weapons;size of the map;player count;vehicules or not) nothing is gonna change; u ll always find someone who love and someone who hate the same "thing"
                          to resume my idea i agree with ur analyse of UT3 problems but it s probably not a good idea to remove things...i prefer to add things and to let peeps choose the way they want to play UT...theses games have always been tip top because of the custom content; having a lightning gun; a ripper; a sniper; a shield gun or not isnt really a big deal; u ll always find someone to build a mutator to add/remove
                          like one m8 said noone force u to play vehicles gametype but if u remove em; someone force u to not play them!
                          srry for my froggy english; i hope it s understandable

Comment

It's very well understandable and you are right about removing gametypes. I forgot about that part. Thanks for mentioning this.
                            But let's say except these 5 aspects he has pretty good ideas on how to improve the game, doesn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                              It's very well understandable and you are right about removing gametypes. I forgot about that part. Thanks for mentioning this.
                              But let's say except these 5 aspects he has pretty good ideas on how to improve the game, doesn't he?
                              sure... he does

Comment

Working...
                              X