Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No basecamping, no flagcamping, no spawnkilling, no unfair game, nonono...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh, no time to read the whole thread now, but:
    It never depends on a game.
    You will always meet unfair asses in online games, no matter if it's UT3, CSS, WoW or whatever.
    I think it's really difficult for developers to make it impossible to be unfair.
    Maybe most developers believe that their game is played by normal people, not by animals

P.S. In UT2K4: No rules on the servers where I play - sucks, but players have to deal with it (and I'm not a big fan of it either).

Cheers!

Comment

This kind of "unfair" play is something which is really rare in UT2004 and UT99 compared to UT3.
      I'd like to know why...

But now to what Yencanwasu said:
      Originally posted by Yencanwasu View Post
      If you cant handle UT3 go play Halo or the Lolly Pop Kids cuz this game was not made for you.
      Ah, okay. So you want that players leave the game? This will result in a smaller community. I hope you are aware of that.

Life isn't fair kids.
      Game=life?
      Of course life isn't fair but life is reality -this game is not! Even the name Unreal Tournament says a lot. That's almost the same as this argument you could read some pages before with war: Real war is unfair as well.
      I said this contra once and I'll repeat it:
      We don't want to play real war. If you want real war, go watch the news.
      And btw, are there respawners in real life? No.

This is a game, it's about fun.

If your not good enough, get better.
      That's not the problem. Personally I can deal with spawnkillers (if they aren't >3 and if they aren't in vehicles) and most of us can as well. Usually these guys don't have an overwhelming skill because spawnkilling doesn't require a lot of skill. Basecamping is almost the same thing but it is not as bad because you can take a basecamper out very fast.

That is part of the game. CTF, VCTF and WAR are all designed with bases, and you are suppose to guard your base.
      Seriously: I don't understand this argument. Shall I spawnkill then too? This is no challenge for me. It's boring! I don't play to be bored, I play to have fun and to be challanged! I can imagine that someone will talk about this scrubs-theory now and all this **** but even in this book where this theory is mentioned are guidelines as well. One of them is that you shouldn't spawnkill when you are on the losing team to give the other team a chance. Well, but then you reduce your chances to win. Let's take a look at the definition of a "scrub":
      The derogatory term “scrub” means several different things. One definition is someone (especially a game player) who is not good at something (especially a game). By this definition, we all start out as scrubs, and there is certainly no shame in that. I mean the term differently, though. A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about. A scrub does not play to win.
      In this case the book in which the author talks about scrubs has some kind of rules. So if it is part of the game to spawnkill, why do you stop to give the team a chance? Because in this book there are rules which say you should give the other team a chance? Tbh that's confusing. In theory you are handicapped then because the other team could spawnkill all the time but when you are still winning, you can't do the same to them.
      In theory the losing team could spawnkill all the time until the score is equal. And they don't have to stop. The game allows it, doesn't it?
      By not spawnkilling all the time you are handicapped and spawnkillers are usually not as good as players who play "fair", at least from what I can tell you. - Conclusion: The definition would prove that you are a scrub then.
      I hope I could prove with that that this theory is stupid and doesn't make a lot of sense. In theory everybody would be a scrub then except the players who do everything which is possible in the game (spawnkilling, flag/basecamping, etc etc) and don't follow ANY rule.

But now back to the question Benfica asked you:
      Well, that is due to, amongst others, attitudes like yours. Claiming that your own pre-defined way of how to play, is THE standard and everyone else should adapt or move on.

Comment

Unfair play was uncommon in UT99? Really?

Let's take one map CTF-Face. Spawn killing with sniper rifles, portal camping in the enemy base with impact hammer, all sorts of launching players with rockets or redeemer. I barely played CTF and I got to see this on a regular basis.

Type killing, spawn killing, portal camping, were all just as common if not more so in UT99 deathmatch as they are in UT3.

What game type were you playing that you didn't see any of this?

I think the nice thing about UT99 was the community was so big that you could have more private games with like minded players.

Comment

Sorry I missed this the first time around

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
          In this case the book in which the author talks about scrubs has some kind of rules. So if it is part of the game to spawnkill, why do you stop to give the team a chance? Because in this book there are rules which say you should give the other team a chance? Tbh that's confusing. In theory you are handicapped then because the other team could spawnkill all the time but when you are still winning, you can't do the same to them.
          In theory the losing team could spawnkill all the time until the score is equal. And they don't have to stop. The game allows it, doesn't it?
          By not spawnkilling all the time you are handicapped and spawnkillers are usually not as good as players who play "fair", at least from what I can tell you. - Conclusion: The definition would prove that you are a scrub then.
          I hope I could prove with that that this theory is stupid and doesn't make a lot of sense. In theory everybody would be a scrub then except the players who do everything which is possible in the game (spawnkilling, flag/basecamping, etc etc) and don't follow ANY rule.
          The book is for anyone who wants to play at a competitive level for a game. You should read the whole thing some time. Anyways the point in the book is that anyone who plays by their own set of made up rules will lose in competitive play. They whine, they cry, they make up excuses because some one violated a set of rules that don't actually exist except in their own minds.

What you are confusing is: my suggesting people on the good team when teams are unbalanced take it easy on the team that's terrible. This is not for even teams. This is not for competitive play. This is just being nice and making the game fun for everyone in a public game. When the teams are even, close to even, or if you are on a bad team then I suggest playing the game to win. If this includes spawn camping, or base camping, or flag camping, then do it. The only exception to this is if there is a server rule against it, and the server rule is enforced by the server admins.

The fact that I've confused you by this isn't overly surprising as you obviously have no idea what it means to play at a competitive level. Continue playing by your own made up set of rules if you like, but don't expect others to play by them. Good players don't play by their own rules, they play by the game rules, and yes those are the rules that everyone should play by.

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
          In theory everybody would be a scrub then except the players who do everything which is possible in the game (spawnkilling, flag/basecamping, etc etc) and don't follow ANY rule.
          You are correct except that they do follow the game rules. Botting would not be acceptable for example. You should really finish reading that book

Comment

In theory everybody would be a scrub then except the players who do everything which is possible in the game (spawnkilling, flag/basecamping, etc etc) and don't follow ANY rule.
            To not be a scrub you have to be willing to do those things if it is the best course of action to help you win. In fact most of the time it is certainly not going to help you win. A quality competitive player isn't going to be sitting in the enemy base in Downtown blowing up empty vehicles while the battle rages at center. When it comes time to attack the core, a quality competitive player might just spawn kill like crazy so that his team mates can shoot the core unhindered.

"You should really finish reading that book "

Comment

Working...
            X