Tips for UT newcomers - outdated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jomi294 View Post
    Both players have equal chance when the game begins. Whatever happens afterwards is up to you.
    Not really. Since most servers have the Titan Team Fix mutator running (and spawnkilling is mainly a team based gametypes problem as I noticed in this thread), teams become very unbalanced. Example: Team Red: only skilled players; Team Blue: Beginners.
    Do they have equal chances?

Answer: Red team will r*** the Blue team.

This mutator messes the teams up.

Comment

Oh, I wasn't aware of this. I thought the general issue was some sort code of ethics some players seem to believe to exist, and that it was being breached by some dirty, dirty players. Now I see it is all a result of team stacking caused by a faulty coded mutator that as you have now informed me, populates the vast majority of the remaining servers. Start a campaign against the mutator. Death to TTF!...

In another note, I'd say the "problem" exists far more in non-vehicle based gametypes. It's just not regarded as a problem there, and players learn to deal/overcome the "issue", and thus are not as vocal about it.

To be honest the whole issue seems to be so blown out of proportion. I mean honestly, with what I can imagine the game's state to be at the moment, how can you complain about anything. My best advice if you want to keep playing the game without getting this irritated, is improve with time. You'll find spawnkilling to be a non-issue very soon, maybe even amusing and helpful for you and your team.

Comment

Well, I can deal one or two spawnkillers without dying a lot, but sometimes whole teams do that.
        Hm.. I guess we're going a bit off topic now because this thread is about tips for newcomers Maybe we continue the talk here.

Comment

I think the most tragic thing is when good players, at the top of the score board, try to switch to the weaker team out of sportsmanship and no one on the losing team will switch... They stand there for 2 minutes or so trying to switch team..
          "blahblah wants to switch team"

and no one on the losing team will swap places :/

Comment

I guess that might have to do with that they don't want to be "winning-team-joiners".
            I don't like those. Today I played one match vCTF and we were losing (Titan Team Fix messed teams up again and I was in the weaker team). We were one less. When two connected and we were one more (would be fair if it would stay like this because we were losing). Suddenly this guy switched the team just to be in the winning team....
            I think I don't need to say anything about that.

BTW thanks for talking about this "switching teams"-problem. I'll add this to the list so that newcomers pay attention to this message.

EDIT: Done. In behavior part (because of being friendly and the "fair play"-thought)

Comment

The last two posts have hit the nail on the head.

If you are getting repeatedly spawn killed the teams are off.

Comment

Add some links to threads that are video tutorials too :

This one by ummie4 is very nice for Warfare players http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=739228

Sticky but many new guys don't really read 'em , this one by Bersy aka Henrik , guides to the Titan , betrayal and greed : http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=663504

And this one also sticky with duel demos mostly by Fuzz2k7 : http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=716814 .

Comment

I don't edited my last post cause this is a diff thing i wanna mention .

THIS IS IMPORTANT : Play with better skilled guys and if you get owned STAY n play more.

Last night i found a non titan server n i joined . 10 guys or so in. My team was loosing , most of the players in were low skilled . We won n i was playing the whole team mostly by myself (its not bragging , winning a map with new players isnt my thing but i really missed a non titan pub server ) .

After that most new guys from the loosing team left .

Earlier tonight i join a bta server with new guys in n my team was losing . We won n most of the new guys left again .

I'm too drunk atm to find links but if u want i could , soonish .

I had my *** kicked n still do from better players . Stay n learn . Ask , read threads (like sly's with tips ) , spectate , get owned n owned again but stay in the server n learn stuff.

Tonight last map i played in bta we were 2 skilled ? guys with a new guy in our team (2vs2 1 skilled n one new in each team ) . 1 guy left but the other guy stayed . I have respect for guys that stay n learn .Getting pawned is part of the learning procedure .

I started to play ut2k4 when most of the guys were good at it . I got pawned too many times .Still i loved the skill required to play this game n i wanted to get it too . I'm not one of the best players but i'm happy i've spent time to learn this game n be decent .

So , play with better skilled guys and if you get owned STAY n play more.

Also Sly you should add all the ut3 frag vids . I think those vids are inspiring for new guys . Those guys in the vids were n00bs once .

Comment

Would be nice if you could add some links :S Right now I don't have that much time to search for everyone myself.

Btw added a video lessons section with the links you posted
                    Would be good if this could be made a sticky thread so that newcomers will see it when they take a look at the forum. But I don't want to bother Flak with this :S I think she has enough to do. Maybe someone else could ask her?

Comment

Originally posted by DrUnKenSTeiN View Post
                      Last night i found a non titan server n i joined . 10 guys or so in. My team was loosing , most of the players in were low skilled . We won n i was playing the whole team mostly by myself (its not bragging , winning a map with new players isnt my thing but i really missed a non titan pub server ) .

After that most new guys from the loosing team left
                      I keep seeing this happen too Stop running away newbies! plz k thx.

Comment

My best advice if you want to keep playing the game without getting this irritated, is improve with time. You'll find spawnkilling to be a non-issue very soon, maybe even amusing and helpful for you and your team.
                        This couldn't be more wrong. The best warfare players don't play pubs because of lame stuff like spawnkilling. It's not that they don't know how to deal with it but rather that those type of tactics are very low-skilled and boring.

Comment

Originally posted by 5uxeu5 View Post
                          This couldn't be more wrong. The best warfare players don't play pubs because of lame stuff like spawnkilling. It's not that they don't know how to deal with it but rather that those type of tactics are very low-skilled and boring.
                          The best-anything don't play usually play in public servers. This advice was intended for Sly, who seems to be having trouble dealing with these kind of behaviors in said servers.

On another note, spawn-killing is a part of the game, and sometimes very necessary. Why is it regarded as "low-skilled"? Besides, it's not like UT is rocket science, it's just a game, and every tactic can be learned within a few weeks / month of playing.

Comment

This advice was intended for Sly, who seems to be having trouble dealing with these kind of behaviors in said servers.
                            Well, I can deal with 1, 2 or with 3 spawnkillers without dying -that's no problem- but when the whole team start to do that... That's the point Especially in vCTF and WAR this can be a problem because of the vehicles. You can attack a vehicle and before you destroy it they get out of the vehicle, attack you and you don't have enough hp to survive. In this time new vehicles and spawnkillers arrive. And when you are in the team with mostly newcomers or players who usually camp or spawnkill as well you have no chance because they really can't deal with them. Even if there is one spawnkiller without vehicle. They sometimes don't even pay attention to chat messages Btw I think I should add that to the list. "Pay attention to chat messages"
                            They usually don't practise teamwork and what's really weird is that sometimes even the winning team spawnkills (although they don't have to because they win )

That's why I thought about switching to regular CTF. If you have 5 vehicles in your base which shoot at the spawnpoints it makes just no fun

I hope you can now understand what I mean.

I am already a good player. But a single player can't deal with the whole team. And I think I should try out the pugs Never played pugs before in UT3 but I think that they will be funny (compared to matches on public servers).

But I agree with one thing: Spawnkillers usually are reeeaaaally low skilled (and sometimes it makes really fun to kill them over and over and to see how they always try to kill me)

But as I said, this thread is about tips for newcomers and not about the spawnkiller topic. There are two threads about that. I recommend to talk about this topic in these two threads.

EDIT: Done!

Comment

On another note, spawn-killing is a part of the game, and sometimes very necessary. Why is it regarded as "low-skilled"? Besides, it's not like UT is rocket science, it's just a game, and every tactic can be learned within a few weeks / month of playing.
                              It's low skilled because I can stick my tank outside of your base and nobody is going to escape, the round will be over in a few minutes and all because i've spammed fire at people that have no chance to kill me. If that's not boring and lame then I don't know what is.

If you really feel that it's "necessary" for you to spawnkill I suggest you improve your game and learn real tactics from better players.

Comment

Originally posted by 5uxeu5 View Post
                                It's low skilled because I can stick my tank outside of your base and nobody is going to escape, the round will be over in a few minutes and all because i've spammed fire at people that have no chance to kill me. If that's not boring and lame then I don't know what is.

If you really feel that it's "necessary" for you to spawnkill I suggest you improve your game and learn real tactics from better players.
                                If you can get your tank outside an enemy base for an entire game, either you are really good, or the other team is actually made up of blind chimpanzees. If you are constantly able to spawn-kill the enemy, that's a good sign; most of the times it means you are going to win the game. If you are playing against someone as good as you, you're probably not going to be able to do it, obviously, so it's a good way to measure things up.

Perhaps you should post a list of these real tactics you mention, real men tactics! Maybe even detail which weapons are preferably used to increase said tactics value/"skill".

@Sly, perhaps you should stop playing team games if people are not willing to actually coordinate some team work. Try out 1v1?

Comment

Working...
                                X