Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you modders for UT3 in college or experenced with 3d or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you modders for UT3 in college or experenced with 3d or what?

I am just wondering how long did it take you to learn 3d in 3ds max and photoshop. Are some of you guys in college or high school? I learned photoshop at high school, I am good at it but could get alittle bit better. But I have a really hard time in 3ds max. I just finished a model and it looks like **** when I rendered it. It just just a big mess. All my hours wasted on this...I am a high school student 12th grade now. Starting to feel like it really hard to do 3d modeling and game stuff such as particles and materials...

How long did it take you to learn and get good at 3ds max? in college?

I'm completely self taught (no UT3 stuff yet). I always approached it as a hobby first. It takes years to be honest on your own. I'm pretty driven and disiplined. It takes a lot of motivation. It's not easy and certainly not for everyone.

I think the best place to start is where I did. In level design. It's a strong foundation that can always be improved and is the basis for everything else in sense.

Try doing a few simple levels that are nothing special or release candidates. Just fool around bits to help you learn. Try to have fun and don't seee it as work, and you'll probably get more done.

PS experince in HS in a "graphic arts" manner WILL help you and has been somethign I rely upon heavily. I had a lot of PS experince B4 UT in a "printers world" sense. I once had a short lived job as a typesetter even, then figured out that industry sux

www.3dbuzz.com is GREAT. Good luck, hope that helps.

Comment

I started learning about 1 year ago. I understand photoshop a lot but 3ds max seems really buggy to me. I brought all 3 unreal tech books and 2 3ds max books. It just I always end up with errors and stupid problems, it starting to get me angry. I do A LOT BETTER with one on one training, than a book or video. I don't really like books because there is a lot of mistakes in it. Videos are not that good for me because some are bad quality plus I am hearing impair (need subtitles).

EDIT:
      I not that into levels, I am trying to make a weapon model for ut3 that shoots a huge nuke.

Comment

Have you ever tried Maya or any of the other modeling applications? I found Maya to be a little more intuitive personally. If you want to call a modeling app intiuitve I find Max to be a little arcane when it comes to doing something quickly and easily.

I could do a simple boxy pistol in Maya in 30 mintues to an hour that was'nt super polished. It'd take me much longer in Max. It may just be that it's because I tired Maya first.

I would still encourage you to at least dabble in a bit of level design

Comment

No, I have not tried maya. Will level design help me in the future with creating weapons and vehicles?

Comment

I learned Autodesk's Inventor in college, then had to learn SolidWorks and Pro Engineer for work. They are more technical than 3d studio but can generate models to convert to .obj none the less. 4 years of modeling and I can turn out the top link in 30 mins the 2nd one took me about 1.5 hrs cause of the text. The third one took about 100 hrs. But that's because I had do do some engineering with design intent. It has over 100 individually modeled parts.

created these in Solidworks...
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/37806468@N05/4454779892/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37806468@N05/4462202199/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37806468@N05/4005932157/
            if only ut3 would have a reason to have a cat food meat grinder in it....

Comment

Will level design help me in the future with creating weapons and vehicles?
              Yes I think so. The vehicles should always fit into most of the maps and by learning level design you'll learn how most maps are build. That knowledge will help you in creating your weapons and vehicles. Nobody wants weapons or vehicles which don't fit into most of the maps I guess and btw you'll learn how big the scale must be

Comment

Ok. Well that make me feel better. I guess I have to stop being lazy and start reading my books on unreal tech and 3ds max, and also practice drawing & photoshop.

Comment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37806468@N05/4005932157/
                  if only ut3 would have a reason to have a cat food meat grinder in it....
                  Lol. That funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivion2500 View Post
                    Ok. Well that make me feel better. I guess I have to stop being lazy and start reading my books on unreal tech and 3ds max, and also practice drawing & photoshop.
                    As FewPosts already said: Don't see it as work It's something which should make fun! Personally I have fun while I'm mapping. I do it in my freetime because I want. You shouldn't force yourself to do that
                    @ the pic:
                    Hm... the cat food meat grinder... Make a map which is one big cat food meat grinder

OR maybe you should make such a map Oblivion. Just to practice it. You'll learn the very basics of the UT Editor I think. You'll have to use mover, add static mesh in place, etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                      Yes I think so. The vehicles should always fit into most of the maps and by learning level design you'll learn how most maps are build. That knowledge will help you in creating your weapons and vehicles. Nobody wants weapons or vehicles which don't fit into most of the maps I guess and btw you'll learn how big the scale must be
                      I concur It is a strong foundation for sure. You may think "oh it's just boring buildings and stuff", but you might actaully enjoy yourself It'll give you ensight on how to algin things to the grid and the importance of it. It'll help you actaully learn a lot about modeling if you aplly it as you go. Try to do a few custom meshes for your map. Let the fact that you have some experience in PS and Max be an asset to your level design venture. Unlike many beginners, you'd likely be able to create something you have in your head. Typically new mappers don't really have this luxury becasu they just don't have the modeling skills or anything like that. So they are limited to stock assets and usually stifled a bit creatively.

Comment

Working...
                      X