Ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripper?

Does anybody know why they removed the ripper from UT99?

It was removed from UT when UT2003 came out. That might have something to do with the collisions of some static meshes which were very detailled at that time.
    Then in UT2004 they left it just out. Don't know why. If you've ever seen Parser's UT2004-Ripper you would see that it was possible (but I think it had also to do with the PCs at that time. Parser's Ripper is relative new. They weren't as good as todays PCs and if there are 20 Ripper blades flying through a small detailled corridor, maybe they thought it would destroy gameplay or crash PCs -I don't know.)
    In UT3 it is possible. Take a look at the Viper's projectiles. Maybe they left it out in UT3 because they thought it is a spammy weapon? As I said, I don't know but Parser has also made a Ripper for UT3, the Ripper-Lite v2. You can download it here (scroll down a bit).
    It uses the translocator mesh but it still looks great IMO.

If you have further questions post in this thread. We are talking about that too.

Comment

Not 100% sure what the love affair with the ripper is

Comment

I'm sorry I've been holding my tongue for awhile, but the ripper was a completely useless weapon imo. Only time I recall people using it was on Face only servers when it's the only weapon you spawn next to.

Comment

Originally posted by Infra` View Post
          I'm sorry I've been holding my tongue for awhile, but the ripper was a completely useless weapon imo. Only time I recall people using it was on Face only servers when it's the only weapon you spawn next to.
          It was a versatile weapon. The secondary fire could be used to knock people back or off ledges, while the primary could hit targets from around a corner. It was like the flak cannon and rocket launcher in one (weaker versions, of course).

Peace,
          -Rhykker

Comment

Especially in DM-Zeto it was a deadly weapon Remember the round corners? You could easily lose your head if you pointed it into the wrong direction.

Comment

I don't see the point of it personally. If you want to spam around corners then UT3 flak cannon has enough speed on it to do the job.

Comment

But you could kill a player with one shot
                Just shoot one Ripper blade around a corner and you can get a frag The Flak will probably need more shots and then you can't surprise the enemy anymore.

Comment

Ripper...no
                  RazorJack....no

RipJack ...YESSS (UC2)

Comment

Originally posted by Infra` View Post
                    ^Someone who must have never gotten a Monster Kill of Headshots!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Princess_Die View Post
                      ^Someone who must have never gotten a Monster Kill of Headshots!!!
                      Sniper rifle my friend

Comment

Working...
                      X