Understanding the Duplicate Login Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding the Duplicate Login Error

For most of us, this happens once in a blue moon and is nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

For others, the Duplicate Login Error (DLE) is a constant presence that kicks in every few minutes and renders online play impossible. This is the DLE to which I'll be referring.

We know it's somehow Gamespy's fault. We know that Gamespy has apparently been "working to resolve the issue" for over two years. We know that most people have not found a solution.

I believe that if we can understand why the DLE targets some people and not others, we can take a huge step towards solving the issue ourselves.

Recently, a friend reinstalled UT3 after a year of hiatus. He didn't have the DLE in the past, but now he does. In his attempts to fix it, we've established that:

1. The DLE is not specific to a given system.
    Why? He installed the game on his laptop and on his PC, with the same result.

2. The DLE is not specific to a Gamespy login.
    Why? He tried creating a new login, with the same result.

3. The DLE is not specific to a CD key.
    Why? He purchased the steam version, thus acquiring a second CD key, with the same result.

4. The DLE is not specific to a given install.
    Why? He reformatted his HDD, thus wiping any trace of the previous install, with the same result.

Given all the above, how does the DLE continue to target him, specifically?

Remaining possibilities:

1. His IP address has been targeted.
    Test? Use a VPN, connect to a neighbor's wireless, or ask for a new IP address from ISP.

2. His new router is the culprit.
    Test? Plug computer straight into modem.

There must be something specific that makes certain people targets of the DLE. If we can determine what that is, we may be able to solve this once and for all.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'll edit this post to include new findings.

Peace,
    -Rhykker

that's the good way to solve it , good luck.

Comment

troubleshooting approach ftw!
      consistencies/inconsistencies. there must be something that ties it all together. or is it all random?

Comment

Originally posted by rek View Post
        consistencies/inconsistencies. there must be something that ties it all together. or is it all random?
        Like you, I'm thinking there must be something that ties it all together. If it were random, how can it randomly be targeting my friend, over and over, on different computers, with different CD keys? That would be awfully coincidental.

His explanation is that God hates him

Peace,
        -Rhykker

Comment

so it have some thing too do with DLE any one have a fix for it

Comment

I think I can provide some insight on why your friend is the problem.

DLE happens when Gamespy thinks that you are trying to login to Gamespy even though you already have a connection to it.

This can happens when your internet goes down or there's a interruption somewhere in the path from your ISP to the Gamespy server.

Or it can happen en masse to everyone when a network connection near the Gamespy server itself fails.

I am guessing it's the internet connection to blame. Take the laptop somewhere else, like another home(preferably to someone who is not a frequent victim of DLE) and try it there. You shouldn't be getting DLEs.

The issue can lie with his network card, router, cable modem or ISP.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCloud View Post
              I think I can provide some insight on why your friend is the problem.

DLE happens when Gamespy thinks that you are trying to login to Gamespy even though you already have a connection to it.

This can happens when your internet goes down or there's a interruption somewhere in the path from your ISP to the Gamespy server.

Or it can happen en masse to everyone when a network connection near the Gamespy server itself fails.

I am guessing it's the internet connection to blame. Take the laptop somewhere else, like another home(preferably to someone who is not a frequent victim of DLE) and try it there. You shouldn't be getting DLEs.

The issue can lie with his network card, router, cable modem or ISP.
              Thanks a lot, BlueCloud. That does make sense. I'll see if he can test it.

Peace,
              -Rhykker

Comment

Don't know if it's still the case but if you loose internet connection for a split second you get the duplicate login error, that's how it was at the beginning anyways.

Comment

i have wired fiber internet and have only had the DLE once in my 2.5 years of ut3. so blueclouds answer sounds right to me

Comment

It's not an issue at the users end. It's a GameSpy/Epic issue that they don't seem interested in fixing.
                    It happens to many of our players on Hedsteem. And usually, it will happen to a bunch of them at the same time. Suddenly, half the players will disappear mid game, then 1 by 1 they come back, and then complain of a duplicate login error.
                    But there is nothing we or they can do about it. It can be quite annoying for the players, obviously. But fortunately, it doesn't happen too often. Maybe once or twice a month I notice it.

Pop

Comment

Originally posted by Pop! View Post
                      It's not an issue at the users end. It's a GameSpy/Epic issue that they don't seem interested in fixing.
                      It happens to many of our players on Hedsteem. And usually, it will happen to a bunch of them at the same time. Suddenly, half the players will disappear mid game, then 1 by 1 they come back, and then complain of a duplicate login error.
                      But there is nothing we or they can do about it. It can be quite annoying for the players, obviously. But fortunately, it doesn't happen too often. Maybe once or twice a month I notice it.

Pop
                      I guess my first post was TLDR, but I was specifically talking about:

For others, the Duplicate Login Error (DLE) is a constant presence that kicks in every few minutes and renders online play impossible. This is the DLE to which I'll be referring.
                      This particular version of the DLE is not annoying. It's infuriating, because the players spent $$$ on a multiplayer FPS game that they can't even play online.

Let's keep on-topic here.

Peace,
                      -Rhykker

Comment

Might be worth it for those that get it consistently to start a ping in a command window to the gamespy servers. Something like "ping 207.38.11.34 -t" will start a continuous ping to the master gamespy server, and after a disconnect occurs you can check to see how many pings were lost by pressing "CTRL-C" to stop the ping.

Worth a shot to see if it reveals anything with those that consistently get the DLE error. I get it once every few months, but not on a regular basis at all, 40MB comcast cable here for my ISP.

Comment

Originally posted by Pop! View Post

Pop
                          As I said in my post, it can happen due to the gamespy servers going down or their network going down for a few seconds also. This is when a whole bunch of people are mass kicked out with the DLE errors. But usually these are rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhykker View Post
                            I guess my first post was TLDR, but I was specifically talking about:

This particular version of the DLE is not annoying. It's infuriating, because the players spent $$$ on a multiplayer FPS game that they can't even play online.

Let's keep on-topic here.

Peace,
                            -Rhykker
                            Ahh yes, sorry. We have noticed some players perhaps have it happen to them more than others. But so far we can do nothing for them
                            Without the assistance of Epic on this, nothing is going to change.. I expect it is something thats going to cost money to put right. Money and resources that they'd now prefer to spend on developing newer games..

Pop

Comment

This is bull****.

I bought this game for $50 when it first came out....if i paid $9.99 now at gamestop i wouldnt really care...wait actually i would because i enjoy the game.

Played it for while after i first bought it, stopped for like 1.5/2years, picked up recently and started getting this error. Brand new computer too.
                              I then formatted windows and installed UT3, error persisted. So it may be the hardware.

I don't mean it's BS that it happens, since it might be the hardware. I think it's bull**** that Epic Games is ignoring the problem. Could send a ****ing representative to come in and tell us that there's nothing they can do, or that they're doing something about it, etc.

It's like... "Oh who cares, they already bought the game. ignore".

DLE is so frustrating.

Anyways, to help the troubleshooting:

I only get DLE if i join a game. If i log in and dont actually join a server, i don't get DLE.

Also, I contacted gamespy and they blamed Epic, which is why I'm here.

Comment

Working...
                              X