Help, how to fix low fps in windows 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gargorias View Post
    I,m pretty sure I posted a thread here once showing Vista giving a faster or similar frame rates then XP in this game yet everyone said Vista sucks. LOL

You say your having no issues with any other games but insist on blaming Windows 7 - that just doesn't make any sense!
    It likely is the OS. Windows 7 was a royal pain to get to work well with UT3... Honestly I could go back to XP and be happy right now, Win7 offers absolutely nothing that I didn't have in XP (that I use). Fortunately in the end the -onethread option worked for me, otherwise I would still be using XP Pro. Also, Win7 performance is not as good as XP, at least in UT3. This is due to the now-required -onethread option slightly reducing framerate, but nonetheless, it's worse than XP.

...and if you really think his (or my) system is in need of an upgrade, especially for UT3, you're a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by barondro View Post
      and yet with -onethread activated you get the same performance. I'll give it another try today and try that -dx9 one and onethread one and will let you know.
      u get the same performance? thats weird, try tonning down the graphics a bit lower, for me i get lower performance with the -onethread activated.

Comment

Originally posted by i_hax View Post
        It likely is the OS. Windows 7 was a royal pain to get to work well with UT3... Honestly I could go back to XP and be happy right now, Win7 offers absolutely nothing that I didn't have in XP (that I use). Fortunately in the end the -onethread option worked for me, otherwise I would still be using XP Pro. Also, Win7 performance is not as good as XP, at least in UT3.

...and if you really think his (or my) system is in need of an upgrade, especially for UT3, you're a moron.
        ppl still believe newer= better... they havent learned they were wrong not even with dx10... only when dx10.1 was released it was indeed better and offered few anti aliasing advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ancient Keeper View Post
          u get the same performance? thats weird, try tonning down the graphics a bit lower, for me i get lower performance with the -onethread activated.
          lol, I wasn't talking about my performance, I was continuing what you said. therefore YOUR performance hasn't changed... anyway

I tried the onethread and dx9 option today and have to say, maps loaded as under XP as far as I can tell. No occasional forever loading. The game crashed once though, but it does even without the onethread and dx9 option anyway.

and about the os's? it's like with women. you are tired of looking at the same old face. you upgrade for newer model and than you have to put up with lots of bull**** until you teach em few tricks

Comment

Originally posted by barondro View Post
            lol, I wasn't talking about my performance, I was continuing what you said. therefore YOUR performance hasn't changed... anyway

I tried the onethread and dx9 option today and have to say, maps loaded as under XP as far as I can tell. No occasional forever loading. The game crashed once though, but it does even without the onethread and dx9 option anyway.

and about the os's? it's like with women. you are tired of looking at the same old face. you upgrade for newer model and than you have to put up with lots of bull**** until you teach em few tricks
            lol thats true, as for me getting the same performance i actually get worse lol with onethread command

Comment

Also, you should know that 133fps in ut3 in win xp doesnt mean my system is bad, i get 47fps average in Crysis with all settings on high AA off and 1080p, so again i doubt my system is bad, i still only have a dx10.1 card but thats only because i dont have cash atm to waste on a 5870.

Heres my "so horribly outdated" specs:
              Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 C0 stepping 3.0ghz @ 3.85ghz
              Asus P5QL-PRO
              4GB RAM: Corsair Dominator XMS2 2.1v 1066mhz 5-5-5-15

ATI HD 4870 512mb vram @ 800mhz core @ 962mhz gddr5 ram

Creative Audigy 2 ZS (Old but still a very good competitor with the newer x-fi cards in specs)

600watts Coolermaster Power Source.

Very outdated specs, i cant believe how i could even run windows xp with those
              I wasn't saying your specs weren't good enough but on a whole a lot of the complaints about Vista and indeed Win7 performance comes from those running sytems with very minimal specs - same happened with XP when it was first released.

I just cant believe you still think windows vista is not at fault for all those stupid bugs and hardware incompatibility, every newb knows that... infact even ms advertised that win vista sp1 would correct around 1000 errors in the crappy OS.

And yet, the bug fixes of the operating system has nothing to do with the OS beying bad or not, im pretty sure its the hardware fault in every aspect, if your windows explorer crashes before the startup is complete in vista, impretty sure you must need a new sound card, but u know what? have it your way, youre entitled to believe in anything you want.

Same thing occured when XP was released, perhaps you should go count the fix list in XP SP1, not to mention the meriods of driver and compatibility issues people were having.

Vista was okay and to be honest is probably just a s good a Win7 now.

Don't believe me then take a look at this.

As for your issue I really wish I could help because I know someone with similar specs who has no touble with UT3 on Win7.

Perhaps it's a chipset issue with dual cores on Win7, have you checked for a BIOS update for your MOBO?

Comment

Originally posted by gargorias View Post
                I wasn't saying your specs weren't good enough but on a whole a lot of the complaints about Vista and indeed Win7 performance comes from those running sytems with very minimal specs - same happened with XP when it was first released.

Same thing occured when XP was released, perhaps you should go count the fix list in XP SP1, not to mention the meriods of driver and compatibility issues people were having.

Vista was okay and to be honest is probably just a s good a Win7 now.

Don't believe me then take a look at this.

As for your issue I really wish I could help because I know someone with similar specs who has no touble with UT3 on Win7.

Perhaps it's a chipset issue with dual cores on Win7, have you checked for a BIOS update for your MOBO?
                I understand your point and i agree with the performance part of many ppl complaining have low specs

But i can still back myself up, i got a friend who got this system:
                Intel Core i7 920
                6gb ram ddr3 1600mhz
                ati hd 4870x2
                no clue what mobo he had but it costed him 350€
                1000watts corsair power source
                and a sata 2 1 terabyte HDD

He got errors from graphics corruption to simple nokia suite, he got errors like windows explorer crashing down, not having the ATI CCC and few other apps booting up properly and system crashes aswell.
                All that happened with windows vista sp2.

Once he changed to windows 7 he started laughing at windows vista as much as i did at him for installing vista instead of xp.

I had my windows vista tweaked alot, with tons and tons of services, it still failed to boot up on my laptop core 2 duo 2.4ghz centrino 2 with 4gb ram 800mhz ddr2 320gb sata 2 5400rpm and ati hd 3650 (plays crysis with all on high at 17fps with max resolution), i also got tons of windows explorer crashes either when i started up my pc or when i launched a nokia application suite, or when i clicked some other application with right mouse button to display the menu.

Again with all updates done vista sp2.

Once switched to windows 7 all that **** both for him and me gone away, the only problem with win 7 im having right now is with poor support from creative to make the eax console work and few features missing like CMSS2 3D and EAX effects.

Oh and this game too, i was stupid enough to do a gaming test comparison in windows xp vs windows 7 ONLy based on this game... now i dont know if its just this game that works that bad or if all games got 40% performance loss aswell.

PS: thx for the tip of the mobo, ill look into it altough i think i got the latest version already. TBH i find this mobo dissapointing, my cpu should push further than 4.0ghz and i cant get past 3.9ghz or else the pc will fail to boot, even with 1.39v, i even tried once with 1.4v and still didnt worked...

Comment

checked the website and ive already got the latest bios.
                  I still reflashed it tough and no changes.

Comment

I had my windows vista tweaked alot, with tons and tons of services, it still failed to boot up on my laptop core 2 duo 2.4ghz centrino 2 with 4gb ram 800mhz ddr2 320gb sata 2 5400rpm and ati hd 3650 (plays crysis with all on high at 17fps with max resolution), i also got tons of windows explorer crashes either when i started up my pc or when i launched a nokia application suite, or when i clicked some other application with right mouse button to display the menu.
                    You do now that the right click problem existed for many people in XP after SP1 and wasn't really resolved till SP2.

Really strange how the same thing surfaced in Vista.

One thing I have noticed is the amount of varying problems people have had from one OS to the other with particular appz and games.

Just out of curiosity have you tried running your system at deault speeds and/or running UT3 in compatibility mode.

I noticed in a few other forums that some people who were overclocking having issues with there CPU/memory overheating when they switched to Win7 which would cause problems with UT3 I would presume.

Comment

yes i have, i get 78 fps or something, ran ut3 in compatibility mode win xp sp2, same performance, i also get sound stuttering aswell when i activate my soundcard audio accelerator and didnt got that issue in win xp, im not a newb and i know at LEAST how to oc my cpu to 3.85ghz without having it burning up, the max temp in occt stress tests is 58ÂșC

Comment

Update:

Installed Win xp 64bits and here are the results so far:

Internet Speed on Speedtest Using Google Chrome ISP paid speed is 100mb dl and 5mb upload:
                        Win 7 64bits 86mb download 5mb upload
                        Win XP 64bits 120mb download 5mb upload

UT3 all on max 97 (win 7 x64)
                        Win XP 64 120

UT3 All on max res on minimum 101 (win 7 x64)
                        Win XP 64 147

Crysis all on Max (shadow Medium) 1080p no AA 52fps Eugen checkpoint (win 7 x64)
                        Win XP 64 52fps

Crysis all on MAX (Shadow Max) 800*600 no AA 75fps Eugen checkpoint (Win 7 x64)
                        Win XP 64 88fps

DiRT 2 1080p 61min-74average (Win 7 X64)
                        Win XP 64 bits 58min-74average

Dirt 2 1080p AA8 51min-64average (Win 7 X64)
                        Win XP 64 bits 57min-66average

dirt 2 640*480 all on max AA off 58min-73average (Win 7 x64)
                        Win XP 64 bits 62min-76average

Benchmark is gonna be updated with more results.

EDIT: Sound on my Audigy 2 ZS card is working at alot better quality on win xp x64 than on win 7 x64 mainly because of poor win 7 support from creative, Dirt 2 looks alot more sharp on windows xp than on windows 7, while it looked like on win 7 it had overbloom, the win xp one looks perfect, maybe a placebo effect but i didnt even look for that kind of detail it, i just noticed it.
                        Will post 1 last benchmark result with guild wars

Comment

Interesting results.

UT3 seems to be one of the worst performing games on the newer OSes compared to how it runs on XP. Lack of native 64bit or Dx10/11 doesn't help. Crysis does have native 64bit support and dx10 native support, so this claws back a few frames. Dirt 2 uses the Win 7 native Dx11 pipe too .

What's most annoying is the poorer network performance and ping. Vista and Win 7 have a more complex (not necessarily worse) network stack, than XP. Many gamers talk about lag spikes etc due to more sophisticated throttling and security, within these newer Oses.

Comment

any tips on optimizing UT3 to run as well as UDK does? since udk maps/games pull a solid 60 fps on XP for me, on the w7 partition they barely pull 10. (we're talking about single player modded gameplay with the -log function enabled here, not multiplayer or online)
                            Code:
                            Specs:
                            P4 4.2ghz (overclocked), 
                            ati readeon 256 x1300 card (yes i know its low end) 
                            4gig ram, 16 gig pagefile

Comment

I had the same problem my setup consisted at the time of:

E8400 @ 4.0GHz
                              NVIDIA GTX 260 overclocked
                              Gigabyte P35-UD4
                              2x1GB DDR2
                              etc.

saw significantly lower performance in UT3 on Win 7 than on Win XP when using a E8400 @ 4GHz, then I swapped later for a i7-860 @ 4.1GHz and benchmarked again on Win 7 and XP I got barely any difference, I think maybe it was even sth like 1.5% advantage on Win 7. So possibly it could be a problem limited to Core 2 Duo and UT3 and Win 7.

BTW, since you're using an Audigy 2 ZS, I'd heavily recommend trying the kX Audio drivers, they are amazing, like a night and day improvement to Creative's drivers in all possible ways. Especially pseudo surround sound or 3D positional sound by the Surrounder+ plugin when "surround" is set to "on" so you know exactly where your enemies are based on the footsteps or noise they make. If you need further help just PM me and I can assist you with them.

Comment

I must agree, that i have around 20 performance drop in UT3 on windows 7 32 bit, and while -onethread gave me same results in vista 64bit as xp, that is not the case with win 7.
                                I have dual core e6550, so i realy think there is a flaw that dual cores are not working well in vista and above systems.

Comment

Working...
                                X