Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing name and spectating

Hi,

How do I go into spectator, and is there a way to change my name?

You can't really change your name by default, though with any server that runs utcomp, you can change your name through that.

As for spectating, I could be wrong but the only way I know if you are already in the server is to pull up your console and type the following: open ip_address_here?spectatoronly=true

Something like that I believe.

Comment

The 1 aspect of this game I've found very refreshing is the inability to change your player easily.

Alias ( smurfing ) is such a pain in the neck with T:V , I mean the community is soooo small yet people get a rise out of others guessing who there are.

Then the cheat factor also , people use an alias name and come in to torment people with cheats ...... such a joy seeing it doesn't happen here.

Or does it ???

Mal-

Comment

Sometimes players join and you see something like:
        Player1234 joined the game.
        Player1234 changed name to .....

I heard this happens when you don't join the server directly (in UT3.)
        You can join servers via Websites, so you start UT3 with a command.
        (But to be honest: I have no idea if this is the reason...)

Cheers!

Comment

People do alias in UT3. All you have to do is create a new account/username at the log-in screen; however, it usually doesn't matter if someone alias' because they cannot really hide their true "skill" or tendecies with another name. They can always be more annoying than usual though...

Hacks are not prevalent in UT3. Some people cry "hacks" and the like if they can't comprehend what a truly skilled player just did. The "whiners" will never be as good as the other player because they limit their potential by blaiming "hacks" on an incident as opposed to actually attempting to learn what happened. So, false positives are more common than real hacks. Hackers do rarely pop up, but they typically give themselves away and get rooted out of most servers with admin cooperation.

Comment

I think changing the name and creating a new account is not the same at all.
            You'll lose all your stats, messages, friends, favorites, and so on...

I don't think boogle wants be hidden, maybe he would just like to have another name...

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightmare85 View Post
              Sometimes players join and you see something like:
              Player1234 joined the game.
              Player1234 changed name to .....

I heard this happens when you don't join the server directly (in UT3.)
              You can join servers via Websites, so you start UT3 with a command.
              (But to be honest: I have no idea if this is the reason...)

Cheers!
              Im pretty sure this happens when a players name uses some slightly unusual character. It seems the server doesn't initially recognise it correctly. You'll notice it doesn't happen randomly. But always with the same player/s.

Originally posted by boogle View Post
              Hi,

How do I go into spectator, and is there a way to change my name?

To change name, log out of the game, and set up a new account.
              As for spectate, you can't go from playing the game, straight into spectate. You have to go direct to spectate from the server browser.
              I've not tried Infra's console code though.. But i'd imagine it's easier to do it from the server browser.
              You can join a game from spectate though..

Comment

Originally posted by Pop! View Post
                Im pretty sure this happens when a players name uses some slightly unusual character. It seems the server doesn't initially recognise it correctly. You'll notice it doesn't happen randomly. But always with the same player/s.
                Oh, hey Pop!

Yes, I'm sure you're right.
                MiniMe<(D)> is such a player.
                It makes sense what you say.
                Strangely, the "Player..." always varies.
                Sometimes it's "Player1421 joined the game", some days later it's "Player850 joined the game".
                However, always for the same person.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                X