Hello all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctr2yellowbird View Post
    Tips? To get you started off on the right foot? Practice your movement. Learn to dodge profficiently (double tap a direction) and wall dodge (rub against a wall and double tap away). You should have an easier time fine-tuning your movement than tightetning your accuracy, especially with 200 ping. Turn off all forms of Mouse Acceleration and Smoothing, both from Windows and UT3 (look up the mouse ini tweaks in this forum). You want consistant crosshair movement where your mouse doesn't skip pixels or what have you. UT3 may very well have the steepest learning curve of any FPS game out there; once you have the fundamentals down, actual mastery of the gameplay may seem "elusive", but it's perfectly attainable with lots of practice, patience, and humility.

I would say the (most) active gametypes are Warfare, vCTF, and Greed. Apparently, BTA (custom gametype of TDM, search TDM if you don't have BTA mod) also has a steady flock, but only in Europe. Do yourself a favor and avoid the Titan mutator, unless you're playing Greed, because players stop asserting themselves (read: stop thinking) when they can just go Titan instead.

Edit: Forgot to mention sound. Get a good headset, and turn up the character sound properties in the ini file (look that up too). A setting of 1.0, as seen from the ini file, should be the loudest that you can attain from in-game adjustments. I think I changed mine to 2.5, but some go as high as 4.0 or even 10.0. That tweak gives you more spacial awareness, so, for example, you can hear people fighting 15 feet away in the next room or hear a vehicle right before it tries to run you over.
    Thanks heaps for the tips bud , I was working on that wall jump and failing ...... your explanation makes perfect sense , cheers.

I'm yet to start playing with ini files and such , but the mouse tweaks you mentioned seem like a must do ...... I'll check that out real soon.

I've been enjoying Greed lately , with the Titan mod ...... very frantic and heaps of fun ........ but I'm certainly yet to harness the vehicles , I mean coming out and being squashed but a hiding vehicle on the roof was such a laugh.

Dirty whoer just keep boucing me into the pavement ...... I got a headache from laughing so hard actually.

Thanks again , any tips on this cool game is certainly appriceated.

Mal-

Comment

Hi again Punichan

Titan pack and 2.1 patch at these forums

This is where I got the Titan expansion pack ...... does this contain UT2K4 ECE ???

I have just recently joined up at the [BOOM] forums after I was invited , I have jumped on vent with «MechikTåj» and played a few maps of Greed ..... had some laughs floating around with my 200+ ping.

It was fun

Certainly there's a learning curve to get over , as I stated it's interesting being at the bottom of the food chain again after playing another game for so long at the other end of the spectrum.

«MechikTåj» has been assisted me with a brief explanation on how things work with UT3 , I actually thought there was an adrenline function in UT3 ..... meaning a period of faster movement after achieving some sort of score or accumlated points.

No biggy , just takes time to get used to it ..... certainly alot of fun though.

Thanks for the warm welcome all round though guys ..... cheers

Mal-

Comment

Definitely consider giving UT 2004 a try if you like Warfare. UT 2004's Onslaught game is almost exactly the same (no hoverboards or grappling) and I think most UT 2004 players who tried UT3 concluded that UT 2004's Onlsaught game was much better. IMHO, the vehicles and overall feel of the game in UT 2004 are MUCH better than the vehicles UT3's Warfare. (The vehicles don't feel nearly as good as in UT 2004 and you can't have a first person view in the flying vehicles. The vehicles are an area where the consolization influence really took hold.) Consequently, you can find Onslaught servers that are packed with 32 players every night (North American time). I think there's also a European server that fills up. You might also enjoy playing Invasion Monster Hunt RPG, which is a very popular mod in UT 2004 that is pretty much non-existent in UT3.

(2.) As for clans, this game always had very low player counts relative to what UT99 and UT 2004 had. It was pretty much a stillborn when it was released because it felt consolized and the user interface and server browser were horrible and far, far below the standards set by UT99 and UT 2004. For that reason, there were just never enough players around for a real clan community and clan ladders to take off. (Few players = almost no clan activity.) Heck, even the PUG match scene has always been pretty much dead. (UT99 capture-the-flag has a much, much more active PUG match scene on Internet Relay Chat than UT3 does, assuming that the UT3 scene isn't non-existent.)

Comment

Hi,

Search for UT3 Guides on Youtube. There is one author called voxhouse studios. They gave some really good tips on advanced movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal0X View Post
            Hi again Punichan

Titan pack and 2.1 patch at these forums

This is where I got the Titan expansion pack ...... does this contain UT2K4 ECE ???

I have just recently joined up at the [BOOM] forums after I was invited , I have jumped on vent with «MechikTåj» and played a few maps of Greed ..... had some laughs floating around with my 200+ ping.

It was fun

Certainly there's a learning curve to get over , as I stated it's interesting being at the bottom of the food chain again after playing another game for so long at the other end of the spectrum.

«MechikTåj» has been assisted me with a brief explanation on how things work with UT3 , I actually thought there was an adrenline function in UT3 ..... meaning a period of faster movement after achieving some sort of score or accumlated points.

No biggy , just takes time to get used to it ..... certainly alot of fun though.

Thanks for the warm welcome all round though guys ..... cheers

Mal-
            IO think we misunderstood "ECE" (Editor's Choice Edition) refers to UT2K4, the successor of UT3, last generation, but more fun you should try... Assault mode WILL BLOW YOUR SOCKS OFF!!!

Comment

Working...
            X