Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all

Hello UT3 community ,

Please correct me if I have posted this in the incorrect spot , I'm still trying to get a handle on whats what in this forum.

I've recently purchused UT3 and have seriously come to love the game alot , I'm a fairly selective online player and generally restrict my gaming to 1 or 2 games only so I plan to be here for the long term and get involved in what seems to be an awesome gaming experience.

I did play Unreal when it first came out but got sucked into a FPS+Z game called Tribes Vengence where I have been since late 05.

Once again if this info is not allowed please tell me so as I'm only linking it to show people if they are interested ,

MalOX T:V downloads

I like to dabble in the editor as well , so as I work my way through the Campaign I was wondering if someone could assist me with a few questions ,

1. Could someone assist me with a link to tutorials on how to start making player skins ...... I found this a good starting point to learn the editor from experience

2. Are there active gaming teams / clans ..... I am an older type gamer ( 40 in Nov this year ) and do enjoy jumping in vent / teamspeak and chatting away with new friends while playing a good game

If anyone is interested in a quick learner and friendly new player I'm very interested to put in an application

3. I've got the 2.1 update and the Titan expansion pack .... am I missing anything else I should download ???

Thanks for taking the time to read this ......

Mal0X ( Ross )

1) there are tons of tutorials, sadly I don't have a link for you

2)there are a decent amount of clans still left, however very few are still active, and hardly any still play competitive matches vs other clans.

3) that's all you need, you will probably want to download some map packs (custom maps) once you start playing online more.

good luck!

Comment

Thanks Infra

1. I spent a bit of time and found a few totorials , should have looked harder before posting.

Thanks

2. Good to hear about the clans still being around , shame they are not real active ...... I'm still keen to join a gaming group just for the social side of things

3. Cool , I'll stick with this for now ....... cheers

Mal-

Comment

Welcome Mal0x ! I cant help with the editor or skins unfortunately.

If you have the latest patch and the titan pack you dont need anything else. You might want to download some map packs though :

http://cbp.beyondunreal.com/download

There are clans for ut3 but many are inactive . Play on line more (to get more skill ) and there someone might notice you n recruit you.

I dont know where r you from but if you are from Europe n you like Warfare we have a channel in irc where we play fun games n team-speak is available.Be sure to have some game experience 1st though cause most of the players are quite skilled.

Here's a link about the pug channel n how to join :http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=676233

If you have time search this forum for n you will find many helpful threads , here are some : http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...stom+crosshair

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...ht=tweak+guide

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...ht=tweak+guide

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...ghlight=ultron

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=586697

I hope i helped you a bit .

Comment

Thanks mate , I'm Australian btw ......

I'll read through those soon , I'm at work right now lol.

Back soon.

Mal-

Comment

Hello and welcome good sir. Nice to still see interest in UT3 and its community.

You are more than welcome to sign up to my clan's site: [BOOM] We welcome all players who are just looking to chill with a friendly group of people in Vent while playing our favorite game. Your "skill" is irrelevant to us but we'll be happy to help you out and share tips. The majority of us play Greed but we have some members who enjoy Warfare too.

Which gametypes do you like?

Once again, welcome! See ya online.

Comment

hope Mal0X have a good ping at a usa server
              ooh and welcome too the best ut3 communality

Comment

I DID play Tribes Vengeance, compared to tribes 2, and 1, i think, it's a smaller game, i did like the "sliding mode" and "grappling hook" , but there isn't any war zone type game, there is bots, but the game is confined in to small arenas, i think if you play Warfare, it's GONNA KICK BUTT! you are going to love UT3, it's a WAY colorful game than tribes, (no classes though, in here, anybody can be anybody)...

WOW YOU DO SKIN!? cool!~ you are a "texture artiest"? Do you do Normal mapping too? well... i can normal, but i sux at textureing with photo and stuff... infect, i sux at matching color....

UT3's "fun factor" is actually slightly less then "UT2K4", but it's still king, no other FPS can pump you like this one could, but after you play this one, and you are hoping for more ludicrous action, insane killing speed, you could give ut2K4 a try with $10 or less on steam...anyhow enjoy UT3, oh, and one more thing, this game's got depth, impact hammer charge does NICE amount of damage, try it out, if you like melee weapons, this is FUN~

Comment

Originally posted by «MechikTåj» View Post
                  Hello and welcome good sir. Nice to still see interest in UT3 and its community.

You are more than welcome to sign up to my clan's site: [BOOM] We welcome all players who are just looking to chill with a friendly group of people in Vent while playing our favorite game. Your "skill" is irrelevant to us but we'll be happy to help you out and share tips. The majority of us play Greed but we have some members who enjoy Warfare too.

Which gametypes do you like?

Once again, welcome! See ya online.
                  Hey bud ,

Thanks for the invite ........ I'll certainly contact you soon , hanging out and chatting while playing a good game is my main objective here and making a few new friends is always good.

Regarding modes , I'm still progressing through the campaign bud so I can't really say which mode I like best yet.

The whole game is awesome tbh , my PC was set up to run games like crysis on ultra high detail so running this game seems to be a breeze ...... I can't get over the lighting in the levels , such a stunning experience.

Can't believe it took me so long to buy it ....... but as stated I did get sucked into T:V which I still play actively on.

Being Australian I have spent most of my time playing on US servers ..... so high ping play for me up until now hasn't been a huge issue , I can deal with the lag and leading with my shot well enough ...... a friend told me it's easier to manage on UT3 than T:V ??? ....... whats you views on that.

Thanks again for the welcome , I look forward to catching up with you ...... any tips right now would be great.

PS . I forgot how much fun the Translocator was , but I made the same mistake I did when I first played Unreal ...... I grabbed the flag and thought I could teleport all the way and cap.

I forgot it drops the flag ..... lol

Mal-

Comment

Originally posted by coolcat22 View Post
                    hope Mal0X have a good ping at a usa server
                    ooh and welcome too the best ut3 communality
                    Hello Cat ,

My ping on Aussie server is around 40 , on US servers it sits around 150 to 200 ....... I can play well on T:V with that sort of ping.

Whats the view of high ping players on your local servers , do they annoy you guys , are they harder to hit.

People have always voiced there disgust with me playing with a high ping on T:V , I have gotten used it after almost 5 years of playing so what can I say.

But are people gunna get stroppy with me if I play on your local servers .... I don't want to annoy people just after joining a new community.

Thanks

Mal-

Comment

Originally posted by Punichan View Post
                      I DID play Tribes Vengeance, compared to tribes 2, and 1, i think, it's a smaller game, i did like the "sliding mode" and "grappling hook" , but there isn't any war zone type game, there is bots, but the game is confined in to small arenas, i think if you play Warfare, it's GONNA KICK BUTT! you are going to love UT3, it's a WAY colorful game than tribes, (no classes though, in here, anybody can be anybody)...

WOW YOU DO SKIN!? cool!~ you are a "texture artiest"? Do you do Normal mapping too? well... i can normal, but i sux at textureing with photo and stuff... infect, i sux at matching color....

UT3's "fun factor" is actually slightly less then "UT2K4", but it's still king, no other FPS can pump you like this one could, but after you play this one, and you are hoping for more ludicrous action, insane killing speed, you could give ut2K4 a try with $10 or less on steam...anyhow enjoy UT3, oh, and one more thing, this game's got depth, impact hammer charge does NICE amount of damage, try it out, if you like melee weapons, this is FUN~
                      Hi there Punichan ,

T:V does have smaller type arena maps , don't get me wrong though ..... there are some large maps but the trend does seem to sit around servers with 16 to 24 slots and close fast action seems to be the favorite.

As you probably know , default game types are CTF , Arena , Ball , Rabbit and Fuel ..... but 2007 a mod came out from the community that added around 30 more modes.

Some have glitches but the majority all work well enough , certainly enough there to keep the low attention span stimulated for ages.

CTF is still the high point and favorite game mode , mainly because it opens up so many options for everyone to play regardless of skill level .....

But the main area I find ( sorry to keep talking about T:V ) is it really doesn't force team work ... I mean if you have a good player on 1 side they will normally win the map for you ....... public games are the norm though now as the community has died somewhat but still , compared to T1 and 2 ...... not so much a team game anymore.

Yeah I can skin , I was involved in the last huge community map pack called the x2 Bonus pack ..... I was orignally recruited as a tester but learnt how to map here as well.

Normal map , specular , illumination , 3 mapping , shaders , panners ....... pretty much most things I can do.

I'm just yet to learn 3D modelling programs ..... but I got thrown back a bit when I first loaded up UT3 , so much detail.

It's going to be fun to learn I can tell you.

Haha , I've already tried the shock hammer .... I got a headache from laughing when hit my first victim with it ...... friggen great reaction.

I bought the Unreal Anthology pack which has all versions of Unreal in it .... but after seeing UT3 bud I think that will sit in the desk for a while.

I'm enjoying UT3 too much right now ..... as stated I'm working my way through the campaign on a setting of hard right now and I want to finish it before I start moving into servers.

So hope fully I'll catch you in game soon.

Thanks for the post

Mal-

Comment

Get used with the weapons ( i suggest to put each weapon around your movement keys n not scroll to find the weapon u want) and movement and play online . Players are much smarter (some ) than bots and you will learn better n faster imo.

Also try to play mostly with better players than you . It helps a lot .

Comment

Originally posted by DrUnKenSTeiN View Post
                          Get used with the weapons ( i suggest to put each weapon around your movement keys n not scroll to find the weapon u want) and movement and play online . Players are much smarter (some ) than bots and you will learn better n faster imo.

Also try to play mostly with better players than you . It helps a lot .
                          Hi mate ,

I certainly agree about the online play and learning quicker , but I'll stick with campaign for a couple more days just to nut the modes and how they work.

I prefer to be a little bit more useful and understand what I'm doing before getting online with you guys and asking too many silly questions ...... going from a T:V vet to a UT3 noob is fun actually lol.

Cheers

Mal-

Comment

Tips? To get you started off on the right foot? Practice your movement. Learn to dodge profficiently (double tap a direction) and wall dodge (rub against a wall and double tap away). You should have an easier time fine-tuning your movement than tightetning your accuracy, especially with 200 ping. Turn off all forms of Mouse Acceleration and Smoothing, both from Windows and UT3 (look up the mouse ini tweaks in this forum). You want consistant crosshair movement where your mouse doesn't skip pixels or what have you. UT3 may very well have the steepest learning curve of any FPS game out there; once you have the fundamentals down, actual mastery of the gameplay may seem "elusive", but it's perfectly attainable with lots of practice, patience, and humility.

I would say the (most) active gametypes are Warfare, vCTF, and Greed. Apparently, BTA (custom gametype of TDM, search TDM if you don't have BTA mod) also has a steady flock, but only in Europe. Do yourself a favor and avoid the Titan mutator, unless you're playing Greed, because players stop asserting themselves (read: stop thinking) when they can just go Titan instead.

Edit: Forgot to mention sound. Get a good headset, and turn up the character sound properties in the ini file (look that up too). A setting of 1.0, as seen from the ini file, should be the loudest that you can attain from in-game adjustments. I think I changed mine to 2.5, but some go as high as 4.0 or even 10.0. That tweak gives you more spacial awareness, so, for example, you can hear people fighting 15 feet away in the next room or hear a vehicle right before it tries to run you over.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal0X View Post
                              Hi there Punichan ,

T:V does have smaller type arena maps , don't get me wrong though ..... there are some large maps but the trend does seem to sit around servers with 16 to 24 slots and close fast action seems to be the favorite.

As you probably know , default game types are CTF , Arena , Ball , Rabbit and Fuel ..... but 2007 a mod came out from the community that added around 30 more modes.

Some have glitches but the majority all work well enough , certainly enough there to keep the low attention span stimulated for ages.

CTF is still the high point and favorite game mode , mainly because it opens up so many options for everyone to play regardless of skill level .....

But the main area I find ( sorry to keep talking about T:V ) is it really doesn't force team work ... I mean if you have a good player on 1 side they will normally win the map for you ....... public games are the norm though now as the community has died somewhat but still , compared to T1 and 2 ...... not so much a team game anymore.

Yeah I can skin , I was involved in the last huge community map pack called the x2 Bonus pack ..... I was orignally recruited as a tester but learnt how to map here as well.

Normal map , specular , illumination , 3 mapping , shaders , panners ....... pretty much most things I can do.

I'm just yet to learn 3D modelling programs ..... but I got thrown back a bit when I first loaded up UT3 , so much detail.

It's going to be fun to learn I can tell you.

Haha , I've already tried the shock hammer .... I got a headache from laughing when hit my first victim with it ...... friggen great reaction.

I bought the Unreal Anthology pack which has all versions of Unreal in it .... but after seeing UT3 bud I think that will sit in the desk for a while.

I'm enjoying UT3 too much right now ..... as stated I'm working my way through the campaign on a setting of hard right now and I want to finish it before I start moving into servers.

So hope fully I'll catch you in game soon.

Thanks for the post

Mal-
                              that Unreal pack you got... does it include "UT2K4 ECE"? because THAT's the one I hope you try if you got a chance, because you'd be shock how many maps/game modes/option (YOU GUTS TO TRY THE SEXY ANNOUNCER OPTION!)/avatars is packed in it, and though single player campaign is not as good as Unreal Champ. 2, it's still VERY innovated! don't forget, UT isn't complete till you got all the CBPs, and official addons, you get SPMA, paladin, and cidia (bad spelling) in UT 2K4 already, that's why I never consider these "new" in UT3... anyways... when you got a chance, try it, I have both installed, just so i can play both and feel the difference... they are NOT that far apart in terms of graphic... but 2K4's got CRAZY trick jumps, learning curve, and characters! (plus, assault game type...my personal fav YOU GUTS to try!~)

Comment

Working...
                              X